Alloy Wheels

pigsfly

I have alloy wheels on my car and I am totaly fed up with trying to keep the ***** things clean. Is it me or is there some very well kept secret in how to keep them clean for more than five seconds.

I look forward to being admitted to the inner circle of alloy wheel cleaners

kot

pigs

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Not much you can do really - I find that the front wheels on mine get muckier than the back. All I do is when they have been cleaned is wax them so that they at least have a chance of staying cleaner longer.

s

See I knew someone new the secret thankyou o wise one I will be at the door at 0800 Tuesday

Not much you can do really - I find that the front wheels on mine get muckier than the back. All I do is when they have been cleaned is wax them so that they at least have a chance of staying cleaner longer.

yes I thought i might try that and the halfords stuff is wax based so you could well be right

thanks to you both

kot

pigs

Another satisfied caravan owner. :D

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Most of the 'hard to remove' deposit on alloy wheels is actually brake pad dust, and the front wheel get dirtier than the rear due to the front brakes doing most of the work. Most brake pad materials have a fair amount of metallic content in them, and when the brakes are applied, the metallic particles in the in the dust produced by braking are very hot, and thus adhere to the lacquer coating of the alloy wheel, sometimes making it hard to remove.

I have found that the answer to this problem is to use pads with a low metallic content, (such as EBC Green Stuff 2000), which virtually eliminates the problem. These have been fitted on classic cars that I have owned in the past, and the brake dust can simply be removed from the wheels with a cloth or hosepipe. The pads equal or surpass the manufacturer's original specification, and also result in less wear on the brake discs.

I just feel that it is easier to eradicate the cause of the problem rather than search for a solution to remove the result. Needless to say I have no connection whatsoever with the manufacturers or distributors of these products, but mention it in the hope that it may be of use to someone.

Regards,

David

They just seem to attract dirt which seems to get more attached than it does to the bodywork.

My tip is to lower my expectation of how clean they will get! Even when I do clean them well they are horrid again in no time.

Some years back you could get dust shields. I think they fitted onto the hub, before the wheel was bolted on. I'm not sure if they are even available anymore? :unsure:

I use Wonder Wheels to clean my alloy wheels first off not cheap but lasts a long time then I use waterless polish like greased lightning etc on them and then they do seem to come clean reasonably easy after that none of the elbow grease I always used to use .

The only way to clean alloy wheels is to remove them before cleaning. Getting rid of the gunge on the back of the wheels is the hardest job but they need to be done properly before sealing with a decent wax polish. It is a waste of time,effort and money to clean just the outer face of alloy wheels.

This is probably the best guide for wheel cleaning IMV:

http://www. polishedbliss. co. uk/acatalog/caring-for-wheels-and-tyres. html

Regards.

Col

I use greased lightning showroom shine keeps em clean also take minutes to reclean them

As for dust covers I drilled loads of little holes in mine don't work as well but keeps lots of dust of

The only way to clean alloy wheels is to remove them before cleaning. Getting rid of the gunge on the back of the wheels is the hardest job but they need to be done properly before sealing with a decent wax polish. It is a waste of time,effort and money to clean just the outer face of alloy wheels.

This is probably the best guide for wheel cleaning IMV:

http://www. polishedb. ..-and-tyres. html

Regards.

Col

Agree totally Col but I am afraid that I have to take the cheat option as I cant remove the wheels now days (wish I could)