Hi to you all out there. I am trying to gain an idea of how many forum members are (CARAVANNER) cyclists not motorhomers,trailer tenter's or tenter's with transport and if any want to have their bikes with them but cannot because of transportation issues. If you are already taking your cycles/cycle with you,how do you transport them/it?.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who caravan and also cycle? Count me in. We take them on the roof of the car for both weight and stability purposes, it's a two handed job getting them on and off but not too difficult.

Any reason for the inquiry Mr Rooster? When I lived in the US they had a product called rooster booster I can inquire from my dad if they still make it as it could be useful if you cycle and tow (though not I'm thinking at the same time as below).

Coachman Amara 380/2

Two bikes on the roof of the Kuga - a bit high up, but the caravan step provides a bit of height. Took them all the way to Austria this summer like this and didn't even have to pay for extra height on the DFDS crossing, as they only have have two height categories - under 2. 4m and over 2. 4m. Since we'd already booked the caravan at "over 2. 4m" we could add the bikes without further payment - excellent!

Hi to you all out there. I am trying to gain an idea of how many forum members are (CARAVANNER) cyclists not motorhomers,trailer tenter's or tenter's with transport and if any want to have their bikes with them but cannot because of transportation issues. If you are already taking your cycles/cycle with you,how do you transport them/it?.

Hello Rooster. ......... each year we have quite a significant number of outfits that arrive here with bikes stowed away somewhere or other.

Of the caravan owning cyclists, I don't actually keep records of actual %'s but I would say that approx. 60% transport them on the car roof or mounted on a tow hitch carrier, 25% folded/dismantled inside the car, 15% inside the caravan.

The interesting fact is that of those who arrive with their bikes, it must be upwards of 75% of them that actually never get used!!

However just the other week though we did have the singularly most unlikely looking (cycling) pair arrive here, they honestly didn't look fit enough to cycle up even the slightest hill; in fact I didn't even know they had bikes with them at all, but then I spotted a pair of folding Brompton bikes and they were off on them every single day up and down the hilliest and steepest of our surrounding roads.

We usually carry our two bikes inside the car (Octavia hatchback) with the seats down. They sit nicely on top of our hand luggage, separated by old blankets, with one thrown over the top to keep prying eyes away.

We do have a purpose built rack which sits between the seats of the front dinette and holds either the two bikes or our tandem when we take that. Works quite well, but braces sideways against the under-seat cupboards which doesn't seem to be a good solution

A pal has a bike rack permanently screwed to the floor of his Ace 2 berth. This holds two bikes by their front forks and is a very good solution. These racks were made by Blackburn for vans and caravans. Don't know if they are widely available.

Keith

People who caravan and also cycle? Count me in. We take them on the roof of the car for both weight and stability purposes, it's a two handed job getting them on and off but not too difficult.

Any reason for the inquiry Mr Rooster? When I lived in the US they had a product called rooster booster I can inquire from my dad if they still make it as it could be useful if you cycle and tow (though not I'm thinking at the same time as below).

Hi Le Phantom. To reply in reverse order to your reply & questions. At 4'10" and the inability to balance on step ladders with a 10. 5kgs road bike I could not entertain the idea of putting my two bikes or for that matter one of mine and the one for Ms Rooster on the car roof. If I fell my very expensive total left knee replacement would suffer beyond redemption,never mind the rest of my body.

I am currently working on a project with a major player in the caravan manufacturing industry with a proposal and accompanying drawing board details,there has been an initial encouraging response.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

We always took the bikes and trailer when we had the m'home but, the rack that we have fouls the the jockey wheel on lock. I refuse to put them all on the roof, the noise would drive me mad and there's no way we could have the sun roof open and not be deafened. I'm going to have to modify the one that fits on the spare wheel (Terrano) so that we can carry them. Any thoughts and advice gratefully received. G.

We remove the pedals and align the handlebars with the crossbar.

It is then easy to carry the two mountain bikes, inside a couple of old duvet covers, inside the caravan. We have done this with no damage to the van interior, nor other problems for the last five years.

Hello Rooster. ......... each year we have quite a significant number of outfits that arrive here with bikes stowed away somewhere or other.

Of the caravan owning cyclists, I don't actually keep records of actual %'s but I would say that approx. 60% transport them on the car roof or mounted on a tow hitch carrier, 25% folded/dismantled inside the car, 15% inside the caravan.

The interesting fact is that of those who arrive with their bikes, it must be upwards of 75% of them that actually never get used!!

However just the other week though we did have the singularly most unlikely looking (cycling) pair arrive here, they honestly didn't look fit enough to cycle up even the slightest hill; in fact I didn't even know they had bikes with them at all, but then I spotted a pair of folding Brompton bikes and they were off on them every single day up and down the hilliest and steepest of our surrounding roads.

Hi bigjimmy. I hope that they were dressed in the appropriate manner for the Brompton Brigade. Suited & Booted complete with appropriate head-wear. Bowler for the gent and stylish 'Wedding Type' for the lady.

It is a major event here in the UK,the 2010 was held at Blenheim Palace and has International Status.

Yes keen cyclist; carry our two like this; if friends are on site we can still use two passenger seats and carry their bikes on a Thule "drop on" mounted on the towball.

DSC07377.jpg

Hi Le Phantom. To reply in reverse order to your reply & questions. At 4'10" and the inability to balance on step ladders with a 10. 5kgs road bike I could not entertain the idea of putting my two bikes or for that matter one of mine and the one for Ms Rooster on the car roof. If I fell my very expensive total left knee replacement would suffer beyond redemption,never mind the rest of my body. I am currently working on a project with a major player in the caravan manufacturing industry with a proposal and accompanying drawing board details,there has been an initial encouraging response.

Interesting, it's certainly a problem looking for a solution as while the roof works for us it's not a quick business and thus not for a quick getaway. Weight distribution is a bit of a problem elsewhere, so will await your developments.

Coachman Amara 380/2

Folding mountain bikes (Montague), pop the pedals off, fold them up and bung them in a bag. They then either go in the car or van and are transported in the car when taking them somewhere for a ride. No need for a bike rack.

If you need a rack to hold the bikes in the caravan while towing try a CARABIKE, I have one that I did use with standard bikes and now holds the bikes when on site. It's simple, light and doesn't require any fixing in place.

DBW

We too carry our bikes on the roof of the Sorento on Thule bars. As above, it is a bit of a stretch getting them on but we too use the caravan steps and the Milenco wheelclamp holder to stand on.

We carry two bikes on the roof (Atera Giro aluminium). We tried all the other ways, including inside the van, and the roof system suits us best. I need the caravan step for ease of lift but still find it quite simple.

I don't fancy having to dismantle or adjust parts in order to transport them, lazy I suppose.

The bikes have become a large part of our touring relaxation, so we seek out sites where we can explore leisurely without too many hills.

Gordon

interesting topic, we cycle but due to my disability i use a trike so usually dont take our biles with us unless locally when we take two cars and caravan and trailer with bikes in, but a question what are the rules to commerical vehicles on CC sites, when we had our American Van i towed with a big amwhich the trike fitted in the buck, and we never used CC sites just car shows on fields and billing aquadrome whichhave any probs with trucks/vans etc, i'm ng buying a VW Merc Vauxhall or Ford panel van Transporter/ Veto Size, i'd probably customise it with alloy wheels and graphicsn't look like a work van, but whats the CCs views on vans?

Yes keen cyclist; carry our two like this; if friends are on site we can still use two passenger seats and carry their bikes on a Thule "drop on" mounted on the towball.
This is exactly the same way as I transport our 2 mountain bikes.

I'm on a seasonal pitch so mine and the kids' bikes were taken in the car up to the caravan by a friend and stored round the back of it so got a bike at home and one at the caravan, if we move sites I just carefully put them inside the caravan :)

Compass Shadow 1988

We use a maxraxx bike rack with the 30 cm extension that sits on tow bar. .

Tug has a nose weight of 135kg we had to remove jockey wheel handle and fit a r clip but can carrier 3 bikes and still go lock to lock nice piece of kit and can swop between cars quick and cheap

happy hols

We carry two bikes on the roof (Atera Giro aluminium). We tried all the other ways, including inside the van, and the roof system suits us best. I need the caravan step for ease of lift but still find it quite simple.

I don't fancy having to dismantle or adjust parts in order to transport them, lazy I suppose.

The bikes have become a large part of our touring relaxation, so we seek out sites where we can explore leisurely without too many hills.

Gordon

Hi Gordon. Have you done Longleat?, miles of lovely biking.

Witter bike rack that allows use of tow ball. Two small aluminium bikes.

A folding Electric bike in the boot. Thats made of aircraft alloy so also lightweight. :)