Waste Pipes In Cold Weather Freezing

Alan Stanley

We own a Bailey Unicorn and a Swift Challenger (Kids van usually). Both are insulated superbly and have excellent heating systems. The Bailey has a built in tank system (basic) but it works to prevent freezing the water systems when the temperature gets to brass monkey levels.

Both vans will be used during this and other winters. Both vans have exposed waste pipe systems hung underneath them, with the potential to freeze up.

In the early 1980s I purchased a British built van destined for Norway and all points north. The order had been cancelled so it came at the right price. All the waste pipes were inside the caravan shell. The shower tray had a small in line pump to clear it. The pipes exited through the side of the van just in front of the wheel.

Why cannot current manufacturers do the same ? It has got to be better than what we have at present and can't cost much as the pipe runs are already in place. So simple to do on initial assembly.

Yes, friends had a Polar which was fully winterised in such a manner. .nice van too.

However in some 27 years of 12 month rallying have had outside water freeze but never the waste pipes,so far.

Did have a new battery freeze once, which we were told was impossible,but all the inner plates twisted and it was replaced. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We own a Bailey Unicorn and a Swift Challenger (Kids van usually). Both are insulated superbly and have excellent heating systems. The Bailey has a built in tank system (basic) but it works to prevent freezing the water systems when the temperature gets to brass monkey levels.

Both vans will be used during this and other winters. Both vans have exposed waste pipe systems hung underneath them, with the potential to freeze up.

In the early 1980s I purchased a British built van destined for Norway and all points north. The order had been cancelled so it came at the right price. All the waste pipes were inside the caravan shell. The shower tray had a small in line pump to clear it. The pipes exited through the side of the van just in front of the wheel.

Why cannot current manufacturers do the same ? It has got to be better than what we have at present and can't cost much as the pipe runs are already in place. So simple to do on initial assembly.

Hi Alan Stanley. Yes absolutely,with the buying power of the manufacturers and the fact that it is easy at the production stages a simple little thing like foam pipe lagging is not rocket science really.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Not sure why you think the waste pipes would freeze up as they should not contain any water to freeze up. our waste water runs out the pipes into a waste master. We lived in our caravan over two winters and not once did we have problems with waste water in the pipes. the waste water freezing up in the container was another issue but anti freeze cured that.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Not sure why you think the waste pipes would freeze up as they should not contain any water to freeze up.

Our wastepipes froze both previous winters, I have now "lagged" all pipes under the van. My problem was due to the manufacturer installing the pipes without a fall, hence if you level the van, water stayed in and did not drain. Simple fix was to add "Packers" to the pipe brackets. no more frozen pipes.

Hi

I have a motorhome but the principles are the same.

Waste water goes down the sink, then through a rigid waste pipe to the waste water tank. The waste pipes had a U bend in them. The U bend held water that froze. I could have removed the U bend but the U bend prevents any smells coming back up the pipe. Lagging did not help - it was minus 18 last winter. When lagged, it is harder to defrost and it takes longer, so I removed the lagging. Fortunately the waste tank has a heater and so the contents of the tank do not freeze - the weak spot was literally the U bend.

The solution however was easy and cheap. Last thing at night, a cup of salty water down each plug hole. I later did an experiment and turned the U bend upside down but in the summer it did allow a pong up the plugholes, so it is back the right way up now.

My mate was pitched next to me in his caravan last December. He had the same problems with frozen waste outlets but the waste pipes that run to the waste hog were of a convoluted type and were flexible. The very fact they were not rigid pipes meant the pipes had some "sagging" and were almost acting as a "U" bend. We simply went under the caravan and use cable ties to "lift" the piping and use drawing pins to pin the cable ties to the underside of the caravan, although a couple of days later we retro fitted rigid pipes costing a few quid from Wickes.

Rigid pipes are the way to do, but you must make sure they have a slight "drop" rather than being horizontal. It's a bit of a job, but once it is done, it is done.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Archived