Mattress Toppers

As we get older and the joints ache more, we have now decided to have a mattress topper in the Caravel, as it's an island bed bed I wondered if anyone made them to size and what you actually thought of them.

Edited by Grandpa Steve
2 identical topics merged

we paid a lot of money for a memory foam mattress. I found it of no benefit whatsoever, and furthermore it does live up to its name; he does remember the shape you are lying in and therefore if you roll over, you will find that you have to roll up a hill each time! We dumped it and went back to a traditional bed.

I find ours excellent . We got a 75mm (3") double off Ebay and I trimmed the corner of it to suit .

Dave

Hi Dave. Out of curiosity,how did you trim the corner off or did you get it done for you?.

All will be revealed in due course!!!.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

We bought a 4 inch one from Argos for the island bed in our van laid the caravan mattress on top to mark it and cut it to shape best thing we did. We have a memory foam mattress on the bed at home due to me having a serious back problem and before we fitted the topper in the van I hardly got any sleep but now I get the same away in the van as at home. Good thickness and high density in my opinion are the key to a good topper.

the best thing to cut foam is an electric carving knife - the sort with two blades that vibrate alongside each other

the best thing to cut foam is an electric carving knife - the sort with two blades that vibrate alongside each other

Spot-On. The blades are a reciprocal action not vibrating. This is exactly what I have used and still do use in my 46yrs as an upholsterer when dealing with foam and in the 'Old Days' Latex Rubber.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

terry, we had the cousin to your van ie a 2008 crusader cyclone the bed was very good but we wanted to try the alde and end bathroom so bought a 2011 super sirocco in january and find the new mattress a lot better ( i had not thought it could have improved??) . a friend had a new mattress made to size for his motorhome so maybe an idea to research local makers in your area, jim

Hi

A couple of questions from me too!

1) An extra four inches - does this make the bed seem "higher" when you are in it and thus do you need larger sheets and duvet covers etc?

2) Are these foam things a bit, well, hot and sweaty in the summer or are they ok for all year round use?

Cheers

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Hi

A couple of questions from me too!

1) An extra four inches - does this make the bed seem "higher" when you are in it and thus do you need larger sheets and duvet covers etc?

With ours we use standard fitted sheets and tuck the corners under and a kingsize duvet so when either of us turns over the other still has some duvet saves a lot of troubles :rolleyes: and we don't notice any difference in height.

2) Are these foam things a bit, well, hot and sweaty in the summer or are they ok for all year round use?

Ours has a cover over it so it doesn't feel hot and we use it all year round.

Cheers

Russell

Edited by dave11a