Leisure Battery

rascal

Just had the van serviced, and either one of us had left he pump switched on, so flat battery. I've charged it overnight from the house, but still not enough to drive the powrwheel to move it. Is the van charger a slow charge, and do you think 12 hours from flat is enough. The battery is 2 years old, and is used oncve a month for the pensioners monthly hol! Your wisdom would be welcome my friends. Len

Just had the van serviced, and either one of us had left he pump switched on, so flat battery.   I've charged it overnight from the house, but still not enough to drive the powrwheel to move it.   Is the van charger a slow charge, and do you think 12 hours from flat is enough. The battery is 2 years old, and is used oncve a month for the pensioners monthly hol!  Your wisdom would be welcome my friends.   Len

37021[/snapback]

Hello, chargers in caravans are all slow chargers if the battery was completely flat it is best to remove from and charge with a higher rate charger if possible.

caw

Hello,  chargers in caravans are all slow chargers if the battery was completely flat it is best to remove from and charge with a higher rate charger if possible.

caw

37024[/snapback]

Thanks, Caw for reply. I've just found Practical caravan July 2005 on the net, and it has confirmed your diagnosis. So i;ve put it on charge with my own charger, but PC bofin says it has to be charged at different rates, high to start and then a lower charge. It reckons caravan charger is not really a charger, but a transformer that drips a measly current in because of cost. It seemed to blame skinflint manufacturers. Anyway, I'm still charging as you said, so I'll wait a couple of hours and then put it on slow charge. Thanks again. . Len

Hello Rascal,

I don't want to frighten you, but I completely flattened a 12 volt leisure battery once by leaving a load connected to it for too long. Although it did appear to recharge it didn't have anywhere near it's original capacity. When you completely discharge a battery the sulfation inside the battery is very high and this limits the recharge ability.

I believe the lowest the battery should be discharged is about 11volts. Unless anyone knows differently.

Please let us know how you get on.

Bob R

So if you plugged a generator into the ordinary 240 volt socket the battery would only drip charge?

Is this right?

37189[/snapback]

just looked at the spec of my zig unit and it says the output is variable, from 0A to 10Amperes, I take it that this charger charges according to how flat the battery is then?, ie if discharged the charger will give out 10 Amps, dropping as it charges up?

manitee

just looked at the spec of my zig unit and it says the output is variable, from 0A to 10Amperes,  I take it that this charger charges according to how flat the battery is then?, ie if discharged the charger will give out 10 Amps, dropping as it charges up?

manitee

37191[/snapback]

Thanks all for your interest. I've just trawled thro all previous posts re batteries and I thought the leisure battery was a simple little soul. not such a complicated machine. I've put it on full charge for 3 hours, and then trickle overnight, and it has run my powrwheel so it has taken the charge. As has been said, how will it perform up there in the Borders next week, and did it like my car battery charger?.

Hello, Twice a year, at the start of the season and before a two week use without a hookup I remove the battery from the van and charge overnight on a 8amp charger. This fully charges the battery as checked on a hydrometer, the chargers as fitted to vans only bring the battery up to three- quarter charge when checked with a hydrometer. I have done this for a long time and to a friends van, never had a problem with the batteries. I dont think these leisure battries are much different from car battries just less robust inside as they don't have to cope with the high demand of a starter motor.

caw

Leisure batteries are more substantial because they have to put up with gradual discharging (if no hook-up available) whereas a car battery is normally recharged almost immediately. Leaving a lead-acid battery in anything less than a fully charged condition will shorten its life, and if you flatten it altogether then unless you can recharge it within a few hours or at the most within a day or two then it may never recover. And try to ignore those who advocate 'cycling' this type of battery (ie deliberately discharging it and then recharging) as this just isn't necessary and may well accelerate its eventual failure. This procedure is fine for Ni-Cad cells as it helps to prevent the battery from developing a memory, but it does nothing at all for lead-acid batteries.

Leisure batteries are more substantial because they have to put up with gradual discharging (if no hook-up available) whereas a car battery is normally recharged almost immediately.   Leaving a lead-acid battery in anything less than a fully charged condition will shorten its life, and if you flatten it altogether then unless you can recharge it within a few hours or at the most within a day or two then it may never recover.   And try to ignore those who advocate 'cycling' this type of battery (ie deliberately discharging it and then recharging) as this just isn't necessary and may well accelerate its eventual failure.   This procedure is fine for Ni-Cad cells as it helps to prevent the battery from developing a memory, but it does nothing at all for lead-acid batteries.

37329[/snapback]

Thanks GMC, for advice. As I charged the following day from flat, I hope that has done the trick. Never again will I, or the Dealers fitter, leave the pump switched on. Len

Archived