Not Looking Good....

loothapub

for Bailey in my opinion.

Unless they get their act together.

After visiting the NEC last weekend what was noticeable to me and a few others that we spoke to is that Bailey are falling behind the rest in respect of the new vans coming out.

All a matter of opinion but at the minute Bailey would be the last range I would look at when renewing.

Cant quite put my finger on it but they aren't even in the running and we have a Bailey.

Edited by loothapub

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could be right? We looked at the new twin bed model at the NEC, and unless it was an optical illusion, one bed is smaller than the other, I cannot see why that would be so, considering the other twin bed models(Lunar etc) have two identical beds, why would Bailey produce a van that is only suitable for short people?

You could be right? We looked at the new twin bed model at the NEC, and unless it was an optical illusion, one bed is smaller than the other, I cannot see why that would be so, considering the other twin bed models(Lunar etc) have two identical beds, why would Bailey produce a van that is only suitable for short people?

Our 2010 Lunar Lexon SB has one bed shorter than the other and I think the Clubman SB

Is the same

One bed being 5'11 and the other is 6'2 in length

Edited by neil and lena

Having just ordered a new Bailey to replace a Swift I would have to disagree!

We spent a whole day at the NEC looking at single and twin axle family caravans before deciding on the Pegasus 2 Ancona.

Our hearts were set on the new top of the range Coachman Laser. Superb build quality, but the layout just didn't do it for us.

The other two contenders in the twin axle group were the Elddis Tempest and the Lunar Delta FB. In our opinion the build and material quality and on the Elddis was very poor, and the Lunar also felt flimsy.

The single axle 5/6 birth Swifts felt very narrow and claustrophobic with the centre washroom. A centre dinnette makes the van feel a lot more spacious and also gives extra easily accessible worktop surface area when cooking.

We were impressed ith the solid build of the Bailey and the spacious layout on a single axle. The externasl locker doors being a breath of fresh air compared to the unreliable ones fitted to our two previous Aces. The internal decor on the Bailey seems to have improved considerably on earlier versions of the Alu-Tech vans which I thought were very clinical.

We will miss the Alde heating and a familly sized fridge/freezer, but I have already ordered a 40 litre portable freezer to run in the Awning.

As another bonus, we can also sell the Discovery 3 which is costing a fortune to run in fuel and servicing costs :rolleyes:

l pick my Madrid up this Thursday all being well should be coming up the M5 M6 has l write due at the dealers later today. Took my Lunar SE 2010 model to the dealers Friday ready for the transfer of the mover. We spent best part of the last 6 months looking at all Manufacturers, admittedly at only one layout the side dinette which after 2 fixed bed lay outs have come to the conclusion this is the layout we prefer. An expensive road l may add if l had my time over again l would have taken a lot longer deciding on the right layout for us. Of all the vans we looked at the only one to come anywhere near the Unicorn was the Coachman VIP but the price ruled that out immediately plus don't like the new window at the front, more locker space is what’s needed not another sunroof. The Lunar came close but the Alu tech system plus the grade lll insulation was the deciding factor, we caravan all year round so the Bailey was the better option. Up to now we have had 3 makes of vans in the last ten years we hope this is the last and will last us through our retirement.

NigelH

Edited by Nidge4

I have to say that for the money, bailey have it nailed at present. Being a young caravanner, I like the looks both internal and external of their vans and also like the continuity through to the new approach motorhomes. I put my olympus 534 to the test at the Nec to see if I could come up with something comparable and I could but I would need to pay thousands extra. I came to the conclusion ghat at the moment, if I were to change then it would either be for a Pegasus or a unicorn. Coachman were overpriced, Adrian didn't do it for me, the rest I forgot about- that says something!

After visiting the NEC last weekend what was noticeable to me and a few others that we spoke to is that Bailey are falling behind the rest in respect of the new vans coming out.

All a matter of opinion but at the minute Bailey would be the last range I would look at when renewing.

Cant quite put my finger on it but they aren't even in the running and we have a Bailey.

Have you seen the sales figures for the last couple of years ?

I have to say that for the money, bailey have it nailed at present. Being a young caravanner, I like the looks both internal and external of their vans and also like the continuity through to the new approach motorhomes. I put my olympus 534 to the test at the Nec to see if I could come up with something comparable and I could but I would need to pay thousands extra. I came to the conclusion ghat at the moment, if I were to change then it would either be for a Pegasus or a unicorn. Coachman were overpriced, Adrian didn't do it for me, the rest I forgot about- that says something!

I tend to agree - my 2007 Champagne compared very well to the majority of the current models. We like the layout and feel that the interior is on a par with anything offered in new vans. It's only the ivory exterior colour which tend to age some vans when they are near to the bright white of newer ones.

Not a Bailey fan but they looked no different to any other make regarding quality.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Out on the road is one of the best places to see how well a manufacturer is doing. Seeing vans out and what new vans we do see will be a good guide to how well sales are. . I would say Bailey have been the most sucessful recently as the number of Alu-tech vans on the road are significant. For a van who's design is only a couple of years old there are way too many being used to say they are not doing well. Like many new ideas in the caravan industry I would say the first year would have been a real gamble as most caravan owners do not take to new designs or concepts readily. I had been an advocate of TPMS for a number of years and it seems only now are van owners actually looking at them seriously. So for a new design to be seen so much on the road in such a short space of time in caravan industry terms I would say they have pulled off an amazing feat!

We have gone from our Abbey to a Bailey Olympus 534 and have to say we are more than happy with it. We had no problems with the Abbey and have had any reason to criticise the build quality either so in those terms we have either been lucky or internal build quality has been the same. But insualtion is much better in the newer van. This weekends trip showed us how much better as I had to get up in the night to turn down the heater and it was set at the same level as our smaller 2 berth Abbey. There was no frost but it was cold enough to be a test of the insulaton for any winter trips we have planned.

I feel Bailey do have it right in design terms. . Layouts though are a personal issue and some love or hate layouts every manufactuer sell. So I cannot comment on twin single beds or other issues that will not arise in our specific van. But overall we are more than happy/impressed with the van and will be keeping it for a number of years and not swapping for the latest and greatest for quite a while.

Perhaps you would like to elaborate on why you think this.

poolebob

Perhaps you would like to elaborate on why you think this.

poolebob

+1

I quote from a recent email regarding Bailey freezing their prices:

This decision follows a very successful week at the Motorhome & Caravan Show where Bailey secured retail orders for caravans and motorhomes to the value of £13 million - a total which has been exceeded only once before in the company's sixty year history and one which re-affirms Bailey's position as UK's favourite touring caravan brand

So there you go

So there you go

Seems like it's not looking good - for the OP's opinion. :)

So there you go

That is about 900 caravans! I find that hard to believe as all other manufacturers would have had similar figures or even if they did half the quantity it would be about 3000 caravans sold at the show. That is a lot of caravans and some people will be waiting until June to get their caravan.

Lunar Delta TI

Each to their own I guess but at the end of the day Bailey caravans will not rot. Simples!

We won't discuss the potential of problems with the wooden floor though!!! ;)

That is about 900 caravans! I find that hard to believe as all other manufacturers would have had similar figures or even if they did half the quantity it would be about 3000 caravans sold at the show. That is a lot of caravans and some people will be waiting until June to get their caravan.

Hi Surf01. What difference does it make if they are waiting until June? It is their choice made around their circumstances and preferences.

If they hold onto their existing caravans (those that have PX deals) until the new one is available that is their choice. If the sell-on their existing vans they may well be away out of the country or whatever until the projected delivery date.

I think that the greatest fear is is 'Here for the show,gone tomorrow dealerships'. Make no mistake about it,Discover Leisure is only the 'Bow of The Caravan Dealership Titanic'.

There is nothing much more certain than go to a dealer and LOOK,HAGGLE,AGREE, then pay a holding deposit and collect after balance or finance is in place.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Wonder what Swift did?

Edited by Steve Drew

Wonder what Swift did?

Laid off a load of staff not long before the show ! And before any one accuses me of Anti Swift I've got both.

Laid off a load of staff not long before the show ! And before any one accuses me of Anti Swift I've got both.

Hi Alan Stanley. I am intrigued by your signature & location!!.

Do you have two caravans because you are from a travelling community?, and is your location hidden in order to avoid being 'moved on?!!.

Perhaps the 2010 Swift is only there until sold or visa-versa.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I think that the greatest fear is is 'Here for the show,gone tomorrow dealerships'. Make no mistake about it,Discover Leisure is only the 'Bow of The Caravan Dealership Titanic'.

OK slightly off topic. . But still feel this is the case. . I was told by a guy who has been running businesses for 30+ years a few years ago. He told me we were in a reccession, and I did not believe him as the time as I was having the best year to date up to that point, he said it will be more noticable in a year to 18 months but the bike industry cannot carry on as it is. I nodded and listened. He said batten down and ride this out if you can but the best thing to happen would be to see 50% of all shops and dealers to close over night. It looks like we have lost about 30% over the past 2 years and things are starting to change for the better. I think the same will have to happen with caravan dealers and businesses. It needs to have some form of cull to weed out the ones who are not good and do not deserve to be in business. Sorry to those who used the ones that have closed down and sorry to those who will or have lost jobs. I am not being mean but to have this industry survive I think like the bike industry we need to have the best dealers come up to the surface. They dont need to be big super stores just good dealers who look after its customers.

Bailey seem to have looked at some of this and have tried to build vans and motorhomes that offer benefits to its customers. OK we may not all agree but sales figures show they are doing something right. ..... If Swift are not doing well it is not just down to layouts or build quality as we have had a swift product and it was fine. .. It is something else. .. Prices are all close so it has to be dealers or how aftercare and servicing is handled. They need to look at the whole experience of buying from start to finish. We bought from Lowdhams because they wanted to be helpful and treated us like friends not walking wallets and there was no high pressure selling it was open and inviting. If the next van we had was a Swift product I am sure we would have been happy too. .. But I will say the dealer did seem to prefer selling Bailey even though Lowdhams have their own branded special editions based on swift products!

Hi Alan Stanley. I am intrigued by your signature & location!!.

Do you have two caravans because you are from a travelling community?, and is your location hidden in order to avoid being 'moved on?!!.

Perhaps the 2010 Swift is only there until sold or visa-versa.

Relax not a traveller on the 'lookout' for 'lost property'. Spent about 37 years working for H. M. G. Though it is true I did have professional dealings with the travelling community, that when successful resulted in them being guests of same H. M. G. although they didn't seem too pleased at the time, free meals as well.

Unicorn used for touring. Swift, now owned by daughter, kept in static position in the south of this green and pleasant land. Ours if we want to use it still, as I own those acres of said green and pleasant land, best site on here as I make the rules and you don't get to go unless invited.

Hi Surf01. What difference does it make if they are waiting until June? It is their choice made around their circumstances and preferences.

If they hold onto their existing caravans (those that have PX deals) until the new one is available that is their choice. If the sell-on their existing vans they may well be away out of the country or whatever until the projected delivery date.

There is nothing much more certain than go to a dealer and LOOK,HAGGLE,AGREE, then pay a holding deposit and collect after balance or finance is in place.

The problem that I foresee is that in June your current caravan is a year older and worth less. Also at that point in time it is generally a sellers market so low trade ins. If you pay a deposit there is a hassle to get in back in the event the dealership goes into receivership even though you paid by credit card. People have booked holidays and will not be wanting to sell their caravan before the new one arrives.

Of course this is all guess work as they may be able to cater for the normal buyer who is there on impulse, the buyer who bought at the NEC show the buyer that buys at the NEC show in Feb and all the other buyers at various dealerships between now and then. The caravan manufacturing industry will be having to go into overtime in order to have the caravans ready on time.

Lunar Delta TI

We stopped at a CC site over the weekend and were falling over Pegasus vans ( ?? Pegasi ) with the odd Unicorn and Olympus thrown in.

We were the only Orion though.

Ian