Caravan Theft - How To Prevent It?

Hi All,

How do thieves go about stealing caravans?

I was thinking that I would be okay storing the van on the drive with an Al-Ko wheel lock and hitch lock. Then it occurred to me is that all these do is stop someone towing it. If a thief had access to a low loader with a winch, all they would need to do is drag it off my drive on to their truck.

Is dragging a van with a locked wheel feasible?

Rich

Hello Rich,

My thoughts are, if someone wants your van they will take it. The only thing you can do is to put in place the security to slow them down in the hope that they are discovered. With the right tools and time, most security devices can and will be removed. My van is also stored on my drive with a wheel clamp, hitch lock, heavy duty chain through the twin wheels and two ram posts on the drive. Any reasonable size lorry with Hi-ab lift could lift it straight on the back and drive away but I've done all I can.

Don't suppose that helps much really.

Richard

MODERATOR COMMENT

Posts giving clear information on how to steal a caravan should not be posted on a public caravan forum.

Information on prevention - yes

Brian

Al Ko wheel lock and hitch lock,two wheel clamps,CCTV and fingers crossed :-()

Hitch post, hitch lock, Alko wheel clamp, normal wheel clamp,rear steady locks, chain through chassis to ground anchor,tracker with tracker alarm and the van wedged between house wall and 6 foot high and 3 foot wide Cotoneaster / Holly hedge with overhead Electric cables above (takes 10 mins with mover to shuffle it around) and I am sure if they want it they will.

MODERATOR COMMENT Posts giving clear information on how to steal a caravan should not be posted on a public caravan forum. Information on prevention - yes Brian

I am quite sure the low life know a lot more about stealing a caravan than those of us who own them!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise they wouldn't be stolen.

Edited by jks

If your van is on the drive, locked with every reasonable device and then someone comes along and lifts it off with a hiab, I wonder what the insurance company would say and how could they be persuaded that the various devices stipulated in the policy where actually fitted at the time of the theft - there would be no broken or cut off wheel clamps or hitchlocks to support the claim

How do they steal a Caravan . ............. Very quick . !!!!!

This caravan was fitted with hitch lock, wheel lock, post and alarmed and of course CCTV but still went in 7 minutes

Its worth watching to inform how important caravan insurance is .

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=j2M62f8phLc

I use on my caravan on my drive 3 wheel locks, hitchlock, leg lock, and 2 security posts .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

MODERATOR COMMENT

Posts giving clear information on how to steal a caravan should not be posted on a public caravan forum.

Information on prevention - yes

Brian

Just a simple reminder.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Sleep in it with a big baseball bat or Tazer :D

That dont stop them . !!!!

http://www. dailymail. co. uk/news/article-1302063/Thieves-towed-caravan-away-70-year-old-owner-asleep-inside. html

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Hi all,

Don't forget to tighten them when you wish to move the 'van, but loosen your nearside wheelnuts. Catch ya later,indoors.

Hi all,

Thanks for comments. Pretty depressing video. They seemed so professional. You even see one of them putting on his gloves as he gets out of the van!

Rich

How do they steal a Caravan . ............. Very quick . !!!!!

This caravan was fitted with hitch lock, wheel lock, post and alarmed and of course CCTV but still went in 7 minutes

Its worth watching to inform how important caravan insurance is .

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=j2M62f8phLc

I use on my caravan on my drive 3 wheel locks, hitchlock, leg lock, and 2 security posts .

Dave

I know that area well - I lived and still work arround there. There is a large "campsite" less than 4 miles away from there that is notorious for having the type of people that make a living by less than honest means - my brother has had the missfortune to have encountered some of the residents from there. I have also worked with someone who had a van stolen just a couple of miles away from there in Ackworth from their drive with all the precations shown. They did get their van back as it was fitted with a tracker and was recovered on the dock yard waiting to go to Ireland attached a a transit van driven by someone who spoke with an irish accent (her words) who " was known to the police"

I guess what I'm trying to say is if they want they will take it no matter what you do.

Edited by sgthakeswell

I agree if someone wants the caravan or to break in they will no matter how secure it is. I use a wheel clamp and hitch lock which may stop the random passer by just hitching up and towing away as they'd need a stihl saw, tools,etc which is going to attract attention but if they really wanted it i'm sure there's ways they could get them, to me security devices are just a delay on stealing but needed for insurance reasons.

Compass Shadow 1988

• 3 years later...

I once had a swift I was selling, I used to have some sleepers knocking around and I pu tthe van on a couple one winter, took the wheels off. I was then selling the van and still had it on the sleepers, when a couple of guys came round to view it, a, they didnt have the car to tow it and b, one walk round and they soon left, looks like they need it on wheels. ... I suspect they were looking at vans for sale and seeing if they were easy targets.

Although not a viable option really taking the wheels off, but, it may be possible if you have it at home.

Edited by Styve100

Having attended a few attempts at stealing vans, your only friend is time, with cordless angle grinders, porta pack, oxy acetylene cutters, the bad boys still need time to do their worst. You need as many anti theft devices as possible, look round your van, sit by it with a cup of tea or beer, and think how you would steal it. I was told many years ago that removing the cushions is a good idea, difficult and expensive to replace, however storage is a problem for most people. I have had a van stolen and its not very nice I don't want it to happen again, so will take extreme measures to prevent it with the new one. I noticed in the clip there was a gas tank the other side of the garage, now if you connect a device from the caravan to the tank :o Nos

Guest Benzowner

Hitch locks are no deterrent, I read an article in a Practical caravan mag a few years ago showing how to circumnavigate a hitch lock, it is oh so easy. For obvious reasons I will not tell you how.

As has been said, make the van less attractive to steal, remove cushions or better still, remove the wheels and leave it on wheel stands.

also another thing to think about for those people that keep their caravans on their driveways is when a scumbag see's your caravan isnt there then your house is more than likely unattended and give them the opitunity to break into your house

mindy

I think the fact that it is really impossible to prevent a theft if they really want it, the important thing is to have good insurance that will pay out in the event of theft. I have a policy covering new for old as it was new 2 years ago . Maybe as it gets older I will go for simple insurance to repay the cost of actual worth . To me if it goes it goes . I won't want the same one back as gods knows what state it would be in so having new for old insurance and no tracker fitted is how I choose to have it.