Diy Trackers

Message added by CT Advertising,

Tracker logo 200px.pngThe Battery Powered Retrieve has its own power source and does not need to be wired into the vehicle's electrical system. Our VHF technology helps to overcome GPS/GSM signal jamming. Find out more

Hi all,

Has anyone ever installed their own tracker? I've bought one from that well known auction site and after playing with it for a few days I'm quite impressed.

Bearing in mind the high cost of commercial solutions against perceived discounts on insurance premiums I just wondered if anyone else had gone down this road.

Mine cost £38 plus £10 for a SIM card so it's not exactly extravagant.

Who does the Tracking if it gets stolen?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I had one free from a company a few years back where you could log on their website and see where your car/ dog/caravan whatever you'd put the little black box on/in but they discontinued it shortly after, was quite surprised they lasted as long as they did considering they gave the kit away, One of my cars has to have a commercial tracker in it and a super duper alarm, but i'm considering some kind of tracker for the caravan, how does the one you've bought work? do you have to phone it up to find out where it is? can it text /call you if activated? could be good for peace of mind, even if it doesn't get a discount on insurance premiums

If it's the same one I saw on Flea bay you just phone the number on the sim card you put into it, it gives you the co-ordinates and you can see exactly where it is on Google Earth. I do believe there have been one or two teething problems but overall it works. Peter

Regarding the "tracking" it would be done by yourself.

The biggest plus for me is the fact that I can set a Geofence around the van and if it goes outside this I'll get a text alert. Also, once it breaches this "fence" it can text me every minute of where it is.

Hard wired to your battery (uses 30mA/h I measured it) and if that gets disconnected it uses it's own battery for up to 80 hours.

Didn't mean it to sound like a sales pitch but do a search for TK 102 yourselves and see. For less than £50 I thought it was a no brainer.

Here's an example of the message it sends you. I had it running in my car as a test so you can see the format of the text message. Basically you can just click the link and Google Maps shows you where it is.

I use an iPhone so for me it's ideal.

http://maps. google. com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=50. 396305,-004. 122783&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwIoc=addr&om=1speed:112. 2&imei=359585013775298

Hi all,

Has anyone ever installed their own tracker? I've bought one from that well known auction site and after playing with it for a few days I'm quite impressed.

Bearing in mind the high cost of commercial solutions against perceived discounts on insurance premiums I just wondered if anyone else had gone down this road.

Very interesting, and hiding it in my vans would be easy. But does it work reliably inside an alloy box, or under the floor for example. Or does it need a line of sight to Sky please?

Tracking the stolen vehicle is easy - just put the coordinates into mapping system and it will show exactly where it is, some systems will link directly with the elected mapping system.

BUT here is the problem do you then go off and chase the stolen vehicle and try and apprehend the thief?

What happens if you are remote from the site of the theft - on holiday, business trip etc?

Remember you must first report the theft to the police and get a 'report number' and you can then call the police and request them action your findings, this they most certainly will refuse to do as they will only liaise with accredited 'tracking companies'

Many of the proprietary systems use Tracker - the oldest company in the business, so do ask a company such as Phantom or Hal Locate (I only use their names as I know them) who does the tracking and do they have police recognition.

Edited by TedNewman

Remember you must first report the theft to the police and get a 'report number' and you can then call the police and request them action your findings, this they most certainly will refuse to do as they will only liaise with accredited 'tracking companies'

I appreciate what you're saying but it doesn't make sense.

I call the Police to get a crime number, hang up, then call again to tell them I have the location of the van and they refuse to listen to me?

I'm sure the recognised companies have a good relationship with the various Police Forces but I can't believe the Police would ignore me if I reported a theft and gave them the co-ordinates of where the van was. Personally, I may or may not decide to investigate or follow the thieves, it would depend on how many brave pills I'd had that day but I'm certainly going to feel better knowing there's a tracker fitted.

It's all relative I suppose, I just looked at Trackers website and a Proactive Install with 5 years subs is £848 :wacko:

You call your local Police Station to report the crime and get the report number - this action they are obliged to carry out. However they do not necessarily cover the area where your vehicle is being driven through or have control over the mobile force so will probably decline to action your request to apprehend the criminal unless you can corroborate your information.

Tracker companies can be directly connected to a mobile police unit or its controller and the tracker company can keep a unit updated with information that the police know they can rely on.

Yes TRACKER PROACTIVE is expensive BUT that is because they have a team on duty 24/7 monitoring calls from *unauthorised movement* sensors and they verify that is isn't a false alarm, they then get direct input from the sensor unit sending a constant stream of co-ordinates and it is plotted on a mapping system screen so the tracker company can give the police valid towns and streets etc. Plus if you have an actual TRACKER fitted then every police force in the UK has vehicles (and helicopters) fitter with special equipment that allows the mobile units to directly track your vehicle.

It is a case of horses for courses and you certainly do not get what you haven't paid for. Yes of course the police will do what they can to help you BUT can you give them a constant and instant pattern of the vehicles movements - possibly at high speed and on motorways.

Edited by TedNewman

Yes mine will provide constant tracking by using the GPRS function. It will also allow me to phone the tracker and listen to the onboard microphone to listen in to the immediate area.

Yes, some people will want the benefit of a completely managed service at a cost but to be honest I got this just to have a play with and so far I haven't been disappointed.

If you told the police you were going to confront the thieves despite the fact you thought they were armed and hung up you'd have no problem getting a response!

It's all relative I suppose, I just looked at Trackers website and a Proactive Install with 5 years subs is £848 :wacko:

btw - Cheaper to join the CC and get a discount if you're getting a lifetime subscription:

• TRACKER, the UK’s No1 stolen vehicle recovery provider is offering Caravan Club members an EXCLUSIVE reduction offer on both annual and duration subscriptions with a purchase and installation of TRACKER Caravan Monitor.
  • Members can take up an annual subscription for just £89, reduced from £149, or a duration subscription for just £199 reduced from £399.

I'm sure the recognised companies have a good relationship with the various Police Forces but I can't believe the Police would ignore me if I reported a theft and gave them the co-ordinates of where the van was.

Unfortunately, it's not about their relationship with the police, it's about ACPO policies.

I work in the alarm industry and we have a similar "relationship", in so much as we are an approved company and can have systems which signal the police. Contrast that with your neighbours alarm ringing. If you call the police out to an alarm ringing, they'll ask you if there is a burglar on site. If no one has checked that, then they will not attend.

Approved tracker companies will have to jump through all sorts of hoops to maintain their approval ( you want to see the regulations we have to work to ) , and they have to maintain that approval to have the police attned one of their systems.

Without some kind of conformation that a crime is actually occurring, the police don’t usually attend burglar alarms because 99. 9% of them are false activations. That’s why the approved alarm companies have so much in place to confirm the presence of an intruder before calling.

On the other hand, if a caravan owner called up and said, his/her caravan has been stolen which has a tracker inside showing it travelling clockwise along the M25 between junctions 10 and 11, I’m pretty sure that (even with the budget cuts) the police will attend -if at all possible.

On a slightly different note, roads can be a very dangerous place. RIP Constable Mark Goodlad of West Yorkshire Police who was killed on the M1 yesterday after stopping to help a lone person who had broken down.

On the other hand, if a caravan owner called up and said, his/her caravan has been stolen which has a tracker inside showing it travelling clockwise along the M25 between junctions 10 and 11, I’m pretty sure that (even with the budget cuts) the police will attend -if at all possible.

It looks, from this report, that the operating centre used for actioning calls to the police have to meet almost the same standard as those used for burglar alarms. In fact, some of the British Standards involved are exactly the same as our control rooms need to meet.

The only difference is the European standards, presumably the one referenced is an installation standard.

http://www. thatcham. org/security/pdfs/14-02_Stolen_vehicle_Oct_07. pdf

Edited by FatherTed

MMIA if you think of it like this. A tracker company is a third-party acting on your behalf. With the system you’ve installed, you have cut out the middle man and are effectively your own control centre operator.

If your tracker activates, all you have to do is check to see that the caravan is stolen then call the police. As you're the van’s owner, you can report the theft and update police on the vans location in one go.

A tracker company would need to get the owner to report the Theft to the police first (hence the need for a crime number) before contacting the police themselves with the van’s location. This covers them if it turns out, for whatever reason, that the van was moved for legitimate reasons and not actually stolen.

There is no need to get confused by various industry rules, which apply to companies. In this example, these rules do not apply to a member of the public reporting in good faith the Theft of their personal own property, using their own personal technology to help locate it.

I may well get one of these trackers myself, they sound good.

Edited by dalel

OK, so I finally got round to emailing my contact at Merseyside Police.

Morning Sue!

I have a question, which I'm hoping you can help with, it's not directly related to work, so I'm being a little cheeky, hope you don't mind.

I appreciate that alarm monitoring centres and intruder systems need to meet certain criteria in order for calls to be passed to the police. Does the same apply to vehicle tracking systems? What I have in mind are the new diallers / GPS systems which can be fitted to cars / caravans etc.

These can call your mobile etc. and report that they have been activated. They can also give their location. If I had one of these fitted to my caravan and received a call from it, giving a location, would I then be able to ring the police and ask them to attend that location? Or, will the police only attend a "tracked" vehicle if the information came from an approved tracking agency?

Thanks in advance.

OK. Definitive police answer. It's as I thought, we can't pass this information to the police as it is unreliable ( not their words.

Hi Eddie,

Vehicle Tracking can only be passed to police control rooms via recognised RVRC's which are of a specific specification and have registered with the relevant police force

There is also various criteria before an activation can be passed.

For further info Appendix U of the policy goes into more detail - basically you couldn't pass your activation as a Type A alarm under the vehicle tracking policy

Hope this helps

Sue

just like HSE there are many rumours and much folklore associated with dealing with rules and regs from standards and guidelines.

The situation seems simple to me.

You have a stolen van, Fact.

You know where it is or at least you have a reasonable chance of knowing this, Fact

You report this to the police in your own area and get crime number. OK

You report this to police in the area your tracker is giving you, OK, Nothing to stop you doing this and in theory and I would push the point, the call details should be recorded for police statistics. If you have invested in the tracker, maybe one should invest in a phone recorder and record your conversation( Don't think they cost much)

If after all this the police ignore your information, then I think they would lay themselves open for a claim for the cost of the van.

I still cannot believe that they would ignore your information approved tracker or not, and I think that you should write to the chief constable and the county council and put this question to them. If its reality that the police have been chasing vast numbers of private trackings with consequent time wasting then this is a good reason for a policy of ignoring private tracking info, but if its just part of a standard procedure dreamed up by some beaurocrat, or inertia on the part of the police then then MPs and ombudsmen should be involved, because once again this sounds like a brilliant idea thats killed by beaurocracy for the wrong reasons.

I'm afraid my van's worth would certainly preclude a normal tracking company but this sounds cheap enough for me.

Personally I think that given reasonable distances involved, and in the GB, I would follow the van myself and try to get sight of it and then ring the police, no real margin for ignoring the theft. "I've had my van stolen and I can see it at this location"!!!!

So my opinion, cut out the big boys and do it yourself!!

Regards

Dave

Hi all,

Hi MMIA,

The trackers are quite good.

I found the "Geofence" not really effective, as I would get reports of movement, when there was not.

If I remember right the geofence is set at 200 meters.

Are there what you have bought ?

728bd656.jpg

e7cd80a6.jpg

403daae0.jpg

Graham

just like HSE there are many rumours and much folklore associated with dealing with rules and regs from standards and guidelines.

The situation seems simple to me.

You have a stolen van, Fact.

You know where it is or at least you have a reasonable chance of knowing this, Fact

You report this to the police in your own area and get crime number. OK

You report this to police in the area your tracker is giving you, OK, Nothing to stop you doing this and in theory and I would push the point, the call details should be recorded for police statistics. If you have invested in the tracker, maybe one should invest in a phone recorder and record your conversation( Don't think they cost much)

If after all this the police ignore your information, then I think they would lay themselves open for a claim for the cost of the van.

I still cannot believe that they would ignore your information approved tracker or not, and I think that you should write to the chief constable and the county council and put this question to them. If its reality that the police have been chasing vast numbers of private trackings with consequent time wasting then this is a good reason for a policy of ignoring private tracking info, but if its just part of a standard procedure dreamed up by some beaurocrat, or inertia on the part of the police then then MPs and ombudsmen should be involved, because once again this sounds like a brilliant idea thats killed by beaurocracy for the wrong reasons.

I'm afraid my van's worth would certainly preclude a normal tracking company but this sounds cheap enough for me.

Personally I think that given reasonable distances involved, and in the GB, I would follow the van myself and try to get sight of it and then ring the police, no real margin for ignoring the theft. "I've had my van stolen and I can see it at this location"!!!!

So my opinion, cut out the big boys and do it yourself!!

Regards

Dave

Good Luck :unsure:

As Ted says. .good luck.

The quote I have is from the police.

Here is a copy of appendix U

http://www. google. co. uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=acpo%20appendix%20u&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. thamesvalley. police. uk%2Facc%2Fappendix_u. doc&ei=GuyvToLFGMO3hQfaiIzgCQ&usg=AFQjCNGA08ieFzjtmw40y9O8q97OEFaRHw&cad=rja

The police don't and won't attend calls from automated systems which do not comply with stringent rules. If your neighbours alarm goes off and you dial 999, the police will NOT respond. They will ask you to see if there is a break in taking place.

If you have alarm system compliant with EN50131:2006 ( currently) installed by a company registered with NSI or SSAIB and montiored by a company compliant with ( I think ) BS5878, and THAT signals an alarm condition, the police will come out.

The same applies with trackers ( just diferent standards), as confirmed by Merseyside Police.