Caravan Storage - When Do You Start Paying?

It might seem strange me asking this question, but if you are planning to store your caravan at a new storage facility and you pre-book your space (of which there are only a very limited few) when do you expect to start paying?

I only ask the question as here at LT we do offer storage to a very limited few and our term and conditions are on an annual basis from January each year.

But when someone leaves and a space becomes free and we are then holding it reserved for a new storer until (say) May when they arrive with their van, would you expect to pay from January or a reduced rate until they actually leave it or nothing until such time as you actually have left the van in store?

I would greatly value your comments.

Bonne chance

BigJimmy

If you are holding a space especially for a person, then they must be prepared to pay for that time.

The fact that they are delaying, for whatever reason, the actual siting of the van is not your problem, the income from the space is.

Whether you charge them full price is your decision, but you are entitled to do so.

The Caravan Club expect you to pay in full in December for the next year HOWEVER you can cancel during the year and receive a proportionate refund -- they then charge a proportionate amount to a new storer for the remainder of the year - very fair!

The Caravan Club expect you to pay in full in December for the next year HOWEVER you can cancel during the year and receive a proportionate refund -- they then charge a proportionate amount to a new storer for the remainder of the year - very fair!

I also think this is the fairest way.

The seasonal site's we've been on have always offered winter storage. If you take it you are expected to pay the week before the site closes.

If you want the site pitch but not the storage they will keep the seasonal pitch for you but will let someone use the storage pitch but explain to them it's only until March or whenever and charge them the usual storage price.

Compass Shadow 1988

We store our van in France, but didn't pay until we took the van there although it was arranged a few months in advance. The difference being that they have virtually no space restrictions.

I think I would look elsewhere if I was being charged for a few months before taking up the space. We do pay an annual charge although the van is taken out for about 10 weeks a year.

Wouldn't see anything wrong with paying, say, the first 3 months as a sign of good faith.

Pete

I started to pay from the day I was allocated a space so each of us is paying fees at a different time of the year. Whether we use it or not, we pay. Fair methinks.

However, your situation might be different based on supply compared with demand (and keeping sweet with people which is the last thing on the mind of storage owners who often have a captive audience!) but if the storage part of your business is normally full-ish then I would charge from date allocated or tell them no charge till they arrive but the space might be gone!

If it is a space at a premium location then I would personally expect to pay from either the day the space became vacant and was reserved for me, or if the space was already vacant from the day it was reserved for me.

Thanks for all of those very useful bits of feedback. ............. The space in our barn is as at a total premium and we do have a continuous number of people wanting to store with us, so you have answered my question very adiquately indeed.

Many thanks

Edited by bigjimmy

I agree then, since it's premium you should charge them from the day it becomes their pitch regardless if their caravan is on it then or not due to high demand :)

Compass Shadow 1988

My opinion on this is that if I had been allocated a space I would expect to pay from day one. My storage in Essex gives the oportunity to pay for a few months/six months/year. We pay yearly just to get it out of the way really but should you leave midway to contracts end then that is your choice and you will leave money down unless you have been nice to the admin lady throughout the contract. I'm working on that one he he!

The only other thing that crosses my mind is that whether you trade under French law or English law. If its English law which I doubt, then us English probably would not question much. But if its French law and you are providing for French owners then I'd do your homework. I had a farmhouse in France for some time and you tend to notice the differences. I'm sure you know what I mean.

If you save a place for somebody arriving with there caravan in march and you do not want to charge them the full amount from now then there surely must be a sufficient holding fee in your favour. But as already said I would expect to pay the full amount. The mere fact that I could not get over is my problem and not yours. You run a business after all.

I am hoping to get over to you at some point it looks lovely hence the buttering up.

the farm that stores out van only takes £100 a year he isn't too fussed when you pay, I remember the date I first took my van up which was on St Patricks day so it's easy to remember when to go up with his money. ..but my brother in law and sister in law have sometimes forgotten and he doesn't bother even if it's months late,which if they are they take him up a bottle of whisky too to say sorry lol

We've recently been looking for a seasonl pitch that offered winter storage also. They're very hard to find and often you have to go on waiting lists.

When we did find what we were looking for, we actually still hadn't found a van - I explained this to the site owner, but also said I totally expected to pay for the pitch from March when the site opens regardless of whether we'd sorted a van or not because obviously it isn't their fault if you can't get a van to the plot on time. They took a £50 deposit, and when we found a van quite quickly, and took it over, they deducted this amount from the £80 winter storage fee, which I thougt was fair enough!

Hi Jimmy.

Not quite the same situation as you are in, but my storage site owner asks for charges to be paid in March of each year. I have the choice of all year or 6 months winter storage. Sorry, but I cannot say when the winter storer's have to pay as I have always had all year storage.

I do think in your case though, that if you have a space available in January, that someone should be prepared to pay for it from that date, even though they may not use it until later in the year. If they don't like the stuation, have you someone else who will take the space on your terms?

John.

Yes John there are several very keen people waiting for a space down here.

But don't get me wrong, I am not getting any agro from the new storer, it is just that I have never been in this situation before and that is why I decided to ask for learned advice.

What I have decided to do from this day forward in situations like this is that any potential storer who is reserving a space will have to pay 50% of the total cost of their storage from Jan 1st up until their actual date of deposit and then the full remaining amount of the annual charge devisable by 365.

Edited by bigjimmy

Our storage works on a quarterly basis and you can pay in advance for one, two or more quarters. All that is required is a month's notice and new caravans come on in the order that they applied. That way no one loses.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Hi BigJimmy (you don't have to answer) how much do you charge as I think whether you pay from day 1 would greatly depend on the amount charged

Personally, if I was wanting to take up a storage space on your site.

Then I have two choices. ..

take a chance that the storage space is available when I want it or. .

pay from the date that we agreed it was free to reserve it!

Just my twopenneth!

G.

We have been caught with the same senario at the minute. A customer has reserved a space from 1/10 and is bringing the van on 29/10. We should charge from the 1/10 but on this occasion there was a bit of a miscommunication as we have just taken the site over so he is getting away with the 29/10 as his start date.

We also have the senario of a customer having paid till 03/12 but has just sold the van and is looking for a refund, in this instance we have pointed him in the direction of the previous owner but in the future the policy will in line with CaSSOA guidelines, basically no refund until the space is relet then refund the % of the relet time. ie you pay 12mths leave after 6 it takes 2mths to relet you get 4 mths refund

Edited by dougie

Both storage sites I've used have started billing from the date the caravan went in, even though I'd booked it a couple of months ahead. But that's what we agreed each time. If the site owner had insisted on payment from when the space was reserved then that would have been something I'd have allowed for in my decision making.

Best practice is probably a one-page Ts&Cs to be issued when someone enquires, with all these questions answered - saves falling out later.

Edited by A11

Best bet is top work in quarters. If they terminate before the quarter is up, tough however if they have paid for the next quarter a full refund for that quarter. If they come on late in a quarter, charge them from that date forward. If they pre-book and you keep tnhagt space for them, then they pay from the beginning of that quarter in order to reserve the pitch as after all they coudl change them mind at the last moment leaving you to hunt for a customer.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Best bet is top work in quarters. If they terminate before the quarter is up, tough however if they have paid for the next quarter a full refund for that quarter. If they come on late in a quarter, charge them from that date forward. If they pre-book and you keep tnhagt space for them, then they pay from the beginning of that quarter in order to reserve the pitch as after all they coudl change them mind at the last moment leaving you to hunt for a customer.

Like the traditional quarter days when rents were due? ;)

Lady Day - March 25th

Midsummer - June 24th

Michaelmas - Sept 29th

Christmas - Dec 25th

When I ran a caravan storage unit, as part of a Warehousing complex, we charged on a 'per week or part week thereof' basis.

So if someone brought their 'van back on a Friday,say,that week had to be paid for.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

My sight renews its charges at the same time each year (easy for accounting) but has part year terms as well. When we took on the the space they charged us £1/day from when we signed up until the next annual renewal. As it was only a week from when we enquired until we brought the van they didn't charge us until then.

As what you are really paying for is the space it seems reasonable to charge from when you reserve it, after all there is no refund each time you take out the van and there is no running cost difference with the van in its space or not.