Motor Mover Problem

col n jen

Hi all, me and the wife have just bought our very 1st caravan yesterday, its a bailey pageant vendee 2007 model, we bought it from a very well known dealer in the north west and paid extra to have a second motor mover fitted. My problem is that after i collected it yesterday and took it to my storage site, whilst using the motor mover to position the van it struggled a bit on some gravel and started turning sideways instead of straight, when ive looked at the rollers on the mover its ripped the friction stuff off one of the rollers, is this my fault for taking it over the gravel or not. Will the dealer fix this problem for me, the mover came with a 6 month warrenty, not very happy really cos its a 120 mile round trip for me if i have to take it back it them, thanks in advance for any advice, colin

I assume you bought the motor mover second hand which is why the friction stuff came off. Most motor movers have a warranty of three years or more. Using it on gravel should not rip off the friction pads as it is designed to be used on all surfaces. What make of motor mover is it and how old is it?

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Powrtouch among others have now fitted metal rollers with a textured finish a bit like an Artex paint roller

If its Carver I might have a spare roller

Hi thanks for the replies, the van is in storage at the moment so cant check the make but i have the remote here and the make on that is 'powrtouch' so presume the mover is the same as this, are they easy to fit cos i might be better off asking the dealer to post me a new roller and fit it myself, also would i be better off to fit new ones on both sides, thankyou very much to Watson for the offer of the carver roller.

The original Powrtouch had that problem, mine disintegrated within the guarantee period and Powrtouch replaced both with the new aluminium ones. Get back to the dealer and tell him you would like BOTH rollers replacing, that you KNOW the rollers are a problem.

This should be enough but remember Trading Standards would back you on a "Fit for purpose" claim. They are easy to fit yourself so if you offered to do-it-yourself, the dealer might be happy to let you. You could always send back the old rollers after for proof, although they would know about the fault anyway. Regards . . Peter

Edited by peterjohn

Thanks peterjohn, i have alrerady rang them yesterday but the service dept was closed so waiting for them to ring me back tomorrow, i will ask for a pair of the new type cos these seem better, thanks for the really good advice and will keep you all imformed how i go on, thanks colin

The problem is if you fit them yourself and something goes wrong 2 or 3 months down the line, the warranty may be invalid. for peace of mind get the dealer to replace them.

Lunar Delta TI

Yeah good point surf01, i will arrange to take it to them one day this week, lets hope they sort it this week cos we are having our 1st weekend away next week, thanks everybody for all your really good advice and help.

Powrtouch have an excellent reputation for aftersale service and it is operated on a "coming out to customer" basis.

If you have any problems with the supplying dealer phone Powrtouch themselves; however old it is they will I am sure assist you, they are that sort of company and have an enviable reputation to maintain.

The shelling of coated rollers has been a well known failing across the mover industry leading to alternative better forms of roller construction. Gravel picked up by the wheels certainly can do coated rollers no good, but use on gravel is something that is normal and the product must be able to withstand.

Hi all, just to let you know whats happened so far, waited until midday for them to phone me on monday with no joy, rang them and they booked it in for friday to have new rollers fitted, had to get my van out of storage friday morning, drive all the way over to glossop from stoke on trent (60 miles each way). Left the van with them and was told to give them a hour, went for a walk round shops then returned a hour and 15 mins later only to be told that they had ordered the wrong rollers so could not fix it today but what they would do is 'order the correct ones which could take up to 2 weeks them come to my storage site and fit the new rollers on site. Not very happy about the whole situation but aint a lot more i can do really, thanks for all your advice and help with this problem.

two weeks seems a bit OTT! Do the rollers come from outer Mongolia via the horn of Africa? I bet if you phoned Powrtouch they will have the items in stock. Maybe Glossop caravans is in financial difficulties and does not have the readies to purchase the rollers. I would get onto Powrtouch to check on stock and then onto Glossop caravans.

Lunar Delta TI

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up to 2 weeks now and still no new rollers fitted, have phoned glossop caravans several times to ask for a fitting date but just keep getting told when the new rollers arrive they will come and fit them. Really feel like saying to them that if they cant fix the problem in the promised 2 weeks then would they fit me a different motor mover or am i just being picky now Mmmmmmmm

Phone the manufacturer yourself and ask if they are in stock. Maybe Glossop have a cashflow problem and are about to go belly up!

Lunar Delta TI

If this was a second hand mover read my post on (motor mover not operating properly),this may be why there is a problem as you dealer has got to pay for the parts.