Fitting A Propex 10Ltr. Electric Water Heater

Given that the Truma Therme usually fitted to Eriba are a little weedy (a mere 300w) I looked for something a little beefier (and well under the £600 for their gas/electric boiler).

The neat, (and not much bigger than the Therme) Propex 10ltr. electric heater at 900w is designed to fit under the seats and I am told could run a long hot shower if necessary.

Has anyone fitted one? any snags?

Hi Gumdrop, Yes i fitted one in customers van a couple of weeks ago, no real problems, just make sure you have enough room under the bunk and can secure the bracket to both floor and wall, (I had to block it out to make sure it was fitted securely) be careful with the 230volt connection and you should be fine. Be aware you can get an electro boiler from Truma which i think from memory is 14 litres.

Rod,

What on earth are you wanting all that hot water for? It's an Eriba, not a maternity hospital. You know we're all agreed that YOU CANNOT SHOWER IN AN ERIBA.

We've now got a Troll without a boiler and I'm going to try and live with it for a while and see if we can manage with just the kettle. If Mrs SDA says we MUST have hot water then I'll go for the good ole Therme which never ran out of hot water in our previous van.

Andy

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Hi Gumdrop, Yes i fitted one in customers van a couple of weeks ago, no real problems, just make sure you have enough room under the bunk and can secure the bracket to both floor and wall, (I had to block it out to make sure it was fitted securely) be careful with the 230volt connection and you should be fine. Be aware you can get an electro boiler from Truma which i think from memory is 14 litres.

Thank you for your helpful advice metz.

Rod,

What on earth are you wanting all that hot water for? It's an Eriba, not a maternity hospital. You know we're all agreed that YOU CANNOT SHOWER IN AN ERIBA.

We've now got a Troll without a boiler and I'm going to try and live with it for a while and see if we can manage with just the kettle. If Mrs SDA says we MUST have hot water then I'll go for the good ole Therme which never ran out of hot water in our previous van.

Andy

Andy we don't all have to be sheep.

The Truma-therme needs to be

connected into the hot air ducting

during cold weather just to get the

temperature up. For very similar money

the Protex has a reserve of power

(you don't have to use it but it is there)

I thought the engineers code was 'if it ain't bust don't fix it'?

The warm air through the middle of the Therme is optional and the leccy warms the water OK in my experience.

Why be different just to be different?

Andy :)

• 7 years later...

Yes - I know I am eight years behind and so is my Freedom van.

The Freedom is fitted with a Therme 5 litre water heater and there just is not enough water for a decent shower. It aint broke Oh steam driven one, but I am going to fix it all the same. I agree with Gumdrop Andy, so steam away. :D

I am fitting this :-

http://PROPEX 6 LITRE MAINS ELECTRIC STORAGE WATER HEATER CAMPERVAN MOTORHOME CARAVAN | eBay

• 1 month later...

Follow up on the Propex water heater. 

Much better than the Therme and a shorter heating up time. Perfect. ;) Added bonus is that you can set the temperature to your requirements.

On 05/06/2019 at 14:06, BOAC said:

Yes - I know I am eight years behind and so is my Freedom van.

The Freedom is fitted with a Therme 5 litre water heater and there just is not enough water for a decent shower. It aint broke Oh steam driven one, but I am going to fix it all the same. I agree with Gumdrop Andy, so steam away. :D

I am fitting this :-

http://PROPEX 6 LITRE MAINS ELECTRIC STORAGE WATER HEATER CAMPERVAN MOTORHOME CARAVAN | eBay

Given all that was said 8 years ago, this will amuse.

20180607_163645.thumb.jpg.eb21ac631efad2f68a1b9b867f919678.jpg

Propex boiler I had installed in my current hightop motorhome last year. And yes it is better than the Therme. Humble pie digested, sorry Rod.

Nice installation Andy.  Just out of curiosity, what are the purpose of the mechanical linkages? 

I wish that I had not posted this now. My Therme has little chance of selling and the sales of Propex have increased I suspect. :D

Pete

It's the rear offside seatbox of my van Pete.

Top and bottom are the slides that are used to  roll out the seat when making a bench. To the left is the hinged panel that is the seat back when in seat mode and the base over the seatbox when in bench position.  At the top of the seatbox, hidden in the murk, is the Fiamma pump and just below the boiler is the dump valve. The linkages to the left are the sprung 'hook' that holds the seat when in it's upright position. The release button is on the side of the seatbox, just out of shot.

There's a bit of a back story to the boiler.

When I viewed the van (April last year) it was cold water only. As part of the deal the dealer agreed to fit hot water and I insisted on a Propex in the seatbox. A few days before collection the workshop foreman rang to say the boiler wouldn't fit in the seatbox and they were going to fit it in the 'boot'. The whole point of buying this particular van was because our dog crate would fit in the boot and if the boiler went in there the crate would no longer fit. I also couldn't understand why the boiler wouldn't fit as I'd measured the seatbox space and it should've been fine. Closer questioning revealed they were intending to fit a much cheaper domestic electric boiler that they installed in some of their statics. I insisted on a Propex in the seatbox and they fitted it the day after I initially collected the van. I suspect that they were just making things awkward for me after upsetting their plans. I was told by a member of staff that the Propex had been delivered two days before I collected. The overnight stay nearby at least gave me the chance to realise that the van had no leisure battery fitted, despite having fittings for one and that the cab aircon still wasn't working. It didn't help me spot that the exhaust would fall off three days later, or that the brakes needed a complete rebuild. Maybe it didn't help that the workshop foreman was sacked the day I collected the van.

Wow. That's some tale. 

A certain caravan I owned once was similar. If it was towed down a rough lane to a campsite over rough ground bits fell off. I got used to carrying a bucket to collect the bits that had fallen off on the return journey. :D

I hope you have now sorted out your problems and that the dealer paid the expenses.

Thanks for your reply. Interesting.

That's not the half of it Pete,

Year 1

1. New wiper blades as those fitted made a racket when returning from collection (£28 not reimbursed)
  2. Rear exhaust pipe replaced (£182 reimbursed)
  3. Returned to dealer to sort cab aircon, fit leisure battery and two rear tyres as those fitted were original and over 10 years old (£80 return train fare not reimbursed).
  4. Aircon gas leaked away inside a fortnight. Local garage fitted new condenser and discovered front suspension arms needed replacing (£837 not reimbursed)
  5. Replaced brake discs & pads all round, freed and replaced seized handbrake cable, replaced corroded brake pipes (£1,257 not reimbursed)
  6. Vectra Motorhomes (original converters) trim tidying, sorting leisure wiring (£80 not reimbursed)
  7.  Faulty downlighter replaced (£15 not reimbursed)

Year 2

1. Local garage annual service & MoT. Offside rear spring broken, replaced as a pair, fitted new screenwasher pump (£774)
  2. Rear upper brake light bulb replaced (£5)

Whilst the van was covered by a warranty from the dealer, they'd messed me about so much that after the trip back to have tyres and battery sorted I opted to use a local and trusted garage. The dealer refused to even make a partial reimbursement on the £2,300 I'd spent in putting the van right.  

Your above posting has annoyed me that people can get away with shoddy service. That's a horrific story Andy.

I am a believer that any company - no matter who - should always be named and shamed for poor service  and praised for good service, but how and where is the question.

I doubt if the rules on CT would allow it, however, my platforms are HERE 

It gives me great satisfaction to think that people  have the ability to read my reviews and those of others, to learn the truth of a companies reputation and make their decision whether to use their services or not.

I feel if more people used these platforms the world might become a better place. Here's hoping. ;)