Leisure Battery & Leaking Pole Terminals.

AWanderingLancastrian

Hi to you all out there. Has anyone experienced the poles of a battery,starter battery or leisure battery weeping from the poles?, NOT FROM THE BATTERY TOP. The acid actually coming through the lead wall of the pole. The problem pole being the Negative Pole.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

How old is the battery?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

How old is the battery?

Hi LhD. The battery was 13months old when the problem was spotted by me. There was a build up of crystallised acid around the terminal.

It took a while to actually identify that it was coming from out of the wall of the pole and not seeping from the base of the pole.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Normally a two year warranty on a battery. Got the receipt?

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Normally a two year warranty on a battery. Got the receipt?

Hi LhD. No, it is only a 1yr guarantee on a leisure battery and it has been for a fair length of time now.

Yes I have suffered this happening to a "sealed" GEL battery but chose to smother the post in Vaseline. This stopped further corrosion damage but the acid does de-nature the Vaseline requiring it to be replaced annually. I think I first noticed it two years down the line and the battery was still going well when I sold the van on after a total of 7 seasons.

I suspect some hand fisted operative had knocked the post at some time breaking the bond to the plastic case?

Hi LhD. No, it is only a 1yr guarantee on a leisure battery and it has been for a fair length of time now.

Ive just bought a 110ah leisure battery with a three year guarentee.

Yes I have suffered this happening to a "sealed" GEL battery but chose to smother the post in Vaseline. This stopped further corrosion damage but the acid does de-nature the Vaseline requiring it to be replaced annually. I think I first noticed it two years down the line and the battery was still going well when I sold the van on after a total of 7 seasons.

I suspect some hand fisted operative had knocked the post at some time breaking the bond to the plastic case?

Hi JTQ. The leaking/seeping action of gell would be considerably slower than with a 'Wet Acid' battery.

At first the leak was thought to be coming from the base of the pole. That was not the case,it was weeping out approx' 8mm up from the where the pole entered the battery top. The battery had been pre-treated by me with Vaseline at installation but it still broke through the Vaseline wall.

Ive just bought a 110ah leisure battery with a three year guarentee.

Hi Sam. Where did you get it from and what was the cost please?.

Can you take the battery to a battery dealer and seek advice? Stopping acid flow is a tall order for any sealant.

Can you take the battery to a battery dealer and seek advice? Stopping acid flow is a tall order for any sealant.

Hi LhD. It is a long story but I will cut it to the bone with the essentials.

The battery went back from the dealer to his wholesale/trade supplier after several weeks and some verbal kicking the trade supplier sent it back with a bogged repair in a place that was not the cause of the leak.

It went back and forth several time at the insistence of the trade supplier that under the circumstance and being out of warranty/guarantee he was doing me a favour.

After several more weeks and a suggestion to repair it with a different method BUT NO GUARANTEE that it would cure the problem I asked for the return of my property. I also reminded them that they had compromised the integrity of the battery casing with their 'Cock-Up' repair.

After a few more days and a chat with my original supplier the trade supplier agreed to replace it for a contribution of £25. 00.

I have been running with a borrowed/loaned starter battery for a very long time. The original purchase was in the early Autumn (August) of 2009,the problem first came too light in the April of 2010 when the battery was flat and after charging up it became obvious that the problem was not just a straight forward issue.

The battery was labelled up with a name that I am told is the leisure battery side of Varta.

It would appear that like a great many things these days that battery makes are subjected to 'Badge Engineering,when I told them I didn't want another ****** battery the replacement came with no label other than a very small one stating Leisure 110. The casing and everything about the battery is identical to the one that was giving the problems.

Watch this space!!.

After a few more days and a chat with my original supplier the trade supplier agreed to replace it for a contribution of £25. 00.

Unless I read you wrong did you get a replacement?

And is this it. ? the replacement came with no label other than a very small one stating Leisure 110

And is that now leaking as well?

The casing and everything about the battery is identical to the one that was giving the problems.

Unless I read you wrong did you get a replacement?

And is this it. ? the replacement came with no label other than a very small one stating Leisure 110

And is that now leaking as well?

The casing and everything about the battery is identical to the one that was giving the problems.

Hi LhD. Yes I got a replacement,that is the one that came with no label other than a small one on the top which read Leisure L110.

I have only just installed the replacement battery this afternoon after collecting it yesterday evening.

Is it leaking?. No, not up-to me leaving the van in storage and driving home.

A good result then. Well greased up I hope. B)

Hi Sam. Where did you get it from and what was the cost please?.

www. batterymegastore. co. uk. 80 quid inc delivery. Orderd on monday and it was with me tuesday, cant fault that. Three year guarantee on all their batterys.

www. batterymegastore. co. uk. 80 quid inc delivery. Orderd on monday and it was with me tuesday, cant fault that. Three year guarantee on all their batterys.

Hi Sam. Thank you for your reply. You say that a three year guarantee is on all of their batteries.

That is not what is indicated on their web page,it says a 3yr warranty on some including the 110ah caravan specific battery and two years on others.

There is a big difference between Guarantee & a Warranty. Is the warranty an extendible feature for a fee?.

I find it very interesting that they should offer a three year 'anything' when a lot are only offering a 1yr Guarantee not a Warranty at all.

The guarantee is a manufacturer feature and because of the varied 'use&abuse' that leisure and cold start batteries are subjected too they only get covered for 12 calendar months from the date of purchase.

Having said that,I intend to ring them tomorrow and check them out.

Alpha batteries offer a 4 year guarantee on their range of batteries I have just had my two year old car battery replace, I had to send them a copy of the faulty battery report and they sent out a new one by courier the next day.

http://www. alpha-batteries. co. uk/

Archived