Tyre Bulge Problems

kitts

Hi guys

The caravan we've just bought is now stored at the coast on a seasonal site. As there is only me and mum it will give us the best of both world's. If we want a quick weekend away we can hop in the car and go without hitching up etc, but if we want something more we can go over, hook up and take it wherever we choose, then pop it back after.

As a classic car owner, though, it's occured to me that with the van standing on it's tyres in one position more than usual, it may cause tyre bulge issues. It has just had four new tyres before we bought it, and I'd like to look after them.

Should I jack it up somehow over winter and when not in "tourer" mode? Any suggestions on how?

Or, has anyone tried out these? I use a Permabag from this company on my classic and it seems very good, but have not tried out the "shoes. .."

http://permabag. com/index. php?locus=http://permabag. com/body/en_tireshoes. php

Cheers

If you were leaving it on site for a full season I`d consider axle stands (if the surface you are on and the site owners would permit this).

The tireshoes would obviously help spread the load, but they cost the same as a set of tyres anyway, so it may be just as economical not to bother but swap the tyres a bit sooner than normal.

These are cheaper http://www. towsure. com/product/Tyre_Savers_Caravan_or_Car_Storage_Blocks_Pair I have thought about these for myself, just never got around to buying yet!

These are cheaper http://www. towsure. c. ..age_Blocks_Pair I have thought about these for myself, just never got around to buying yet!

Got those and they do work. If you do jack up the van have the car attached if using side jacks.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Wow, they're WAY cheaper than the tyre shoes and look to do the same job. Thanks a bunch for that link and info, chaps! If the caravan place doesn't stock them, (I know they sell other Pyrmamid stuff) I''ve saved the link and will order some of those - I want a set for my car while it's off road for winter too at that price as well as the caravan!

Many thanks!!!

Dawn :D

Fiamma also sell very similar cradles at around the same price.

Same here, might jsut order myself a pair as my caravan's always seasonal too :)

Compass Shadow 1988

These are cheaper http://www. towsure. c. ..age_Blocks_Pair I have thought about these for myself, just never got around to buying yet!

Great link, thanks for sharing it

Wow, they're WAY cheaper than the tyre shoes and look to do the same job. Thanks a bunch for that link and info, chaps! If the caravan place doesn't stock them, (I know they sell other Pyrmamid stuff) I''ve saved the link and will order some of those - I want a set for my car while it's off road for winter too at that price as well as the caravan!

Many thanks!!!

Dawn :D

If Kitts and Mechs is having them I want them too :lol:

Quite right Daisy, we should all get matching sets :D

Compass Shadow 1988

It is hard to see these sort of things doing much good as they cant relieve the local deformation to the side walls inevitably caused to the tyres by carrying the van's weight. I suppose the tread deformation is of less flattened form but the wall damage will still be there so they do not remove the underlying safety issue?

It is hard to see these sort of things doing much good as they cant relieve the local deformation to the side walls inevitably caused to the tyres by carrying the van's weight. I suppose the tread deformation is of less flattened form but the wall damage will still be there so they do not remove the underlying safety issue?

Won't stop UV damage either. The best way is probably winter wheels coupled with axle stands/blocks taking some of the weight off the suspension. Only worthwhile if the 'van is static for some time though.

Got those and they do work. If you do jack up the van have the car attached if using side jacks.

I suppose a motor mover would not be strong enough to get the tyres on to it?

Tyre manufacturers recommended fully inflating

the tyres and using anti UV covers. I have seen

caravans with just steel rims on the wheels, the

good wheels/tyres having been removed while

in camping mode.

I suppose a motor mover would not be strong enough to get the tyres on to it?

Mine would not do it. :( I was expecting them to but even with a shove they slipped on the tyre. It is a bit steep

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

We bought a set of tyre savers last year, i'm not sure if they do any good or not. They seem to 'cup' the tyres at point of contact & i imagine it's better than doing nothing, i for one thought it was worth a punt for £10.

An added bonus is that if you're parked on reasonably level ground they act as wheel chocs too, so no need to leave your handbrake engaged.

We reverse our van onto these using the motor mover, for some reason it won't climb onto these going forwards, but climbs off them going forwards quite easily.

Our motor mover is fitted in front of the axle, don't know if this affects it's performance one way or the other but it seems to in this particular situation.

Bryan

We reverse our van onto these using the motor mover, for some reason it won't climb onto these going forwards, but climbs off them going forwards quite easily.

Bryan

The slope is lower coming off because of the thickness of the support. :) Maybe I need a sloped run up first.

Archived