Pitch Restrictions For Long Caravans?

Thinking of upgrading to a longer caravan this winter (mines about 5. 5 metres). I recall when booking onto some sites I get asked my caravans length. Is this because some sites have length restrictions? Do owners of longer caravans ever get refused onto a site?

Some caravan club sites have limits. For example Chatsworth House 8. 5m (includes drawbar on club sites i. e. overall length. Some are less. Don't think it is a problem on many sites for caravans. Probably more limiting for larger motorhomes.

I have known of some sites in the UK with length restrictions and over here there are to my knowledge some around, but more importantly over here in France (if you ever come here) the restrictions can apply to twin axled vans.

The reason you are asked the length is because some pitches are smaller and would not take a long van so you are directed to the longer pitches.

Even the new site at Barnard Castle has quite short pitches, my rear legs were over the grass and tow hitch just protruding out onto the road.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Some caravan club sites have limits. For example Chatsworth House 8. 5m (includes drawbar on club sites i. e. overall length. Some are less. Don't think it is a problem on many sites for caravans. Probably more limiting for larger motorhomes.
Since the maximum body length in the UK is currently 7 metres, what Chatsworth are effectively saying is that if it's road legal we'll take it. I have experienced sites with shorter limits however, and this can be due to such things as tight turns on the approach road as well a small pitch size. I have been particularly aware of this in Switzerland where larger caravans are usually owned by foreign visitors, and such caravans have to be "authorised" at the border and only towed directly to a pre-booked site. I have experienced more restrictions using our RV, but often it is something like a width restriction on the approach road that is the main problem. If you had seen where we parked in Brittany earlier this year, many passers by asked how we got it in. The answer was "very carefully" as I only had inches to spare.
I have known of some sites in the UK with length restrictions and over here there are to my knowledge some around, but more importantly over here in France (if you ever come here) the restrictions can apply to twin axled vans.
I can only speak personally, but I have stayed on a number of French sites that say they do not accept twin axle caravans. In most cases this is to prevent nomads, and if I have pre-booked informing them in writing that I have a twin axle caravan, my caravan has been accepted.

Whatever restricts are applied, there is usually good reason for it, and those with larger outfits have to accept this.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I have owned a large caravan for years 8m in total length and I have been on a large number of sites that you need to state you have a large van because they then will give you a longer pitch . Some sites if you are over 6m you can only phone to book and cant book online .

I have been on one site were my length was over a footpath at the front and across the rear pitch . :rolleyes: I have never been refused but as you are limited to the longer pitches which are few in number on most sites so you can have problems trying to book as these pitches are in demand . I think the problem lies with the fact that cars are getting more powerful and people are buying bigger vans and the sites were layed out with a 6m X 6m pitch years ago when smaller vans were used .

Dave

Thanks for the replies, they all seem to explain the issue well :)

. ...I think the problem lies with the fact that cars are getting more powerful and people are buying bigger vans and the sites were layed out with a 6m X 6m pitch years ago when smaller vans were used .

Dave

That makes perfect sense :)

Archived