Television Help Required, Please.

I've recently treated us to an Avtex tv, and bought it with what the salesman said was "the best aerial for the job",....one of those shark-toothed digital aerials on a 10' pole.

At the NEC last week I was told that I'd wasted my dough, and should have bought the "powered" Avtex aerial.

. .Anyone have any guidance for me?.

Due to wife's incapacity I haven't been able to try the combo out as yet.

That will be fine and you'll have no problem with reception. I bought one some years ago when the Status aerial was of the "flying saucer" type that was useless.

If it is like the one in this link it should be OK. I have had one for five years and it works very well.

I see from "Dee Tee’s" link that "Image" make two aerials of this type, the Image 430 with additional telescopic "pull out" antennae and the Image 420 without the "pull out" antennae.

If you have the Image 430 version then I would suggest you take a look at a couple of previous threads and the various comments regarding the "pull out" antennae.

Good idea/Bad idea……started by. . "Thingy"……….23rd Sept 2011

Direction of Arial?……. started by . "Amanda1968"….5th Oct 2011

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I see from "Dee Tee’s" link that "Image" make two aerials of this type, the Image 430 with additional telescopic "pull out" antennae and the

The pull out rods are for VHF reception and not applicable to TV reception.

The pull out rods are for VHF reception and not applicable to TV reception.

I think you’re wrong Beejay. This refers to VHF TV reception which does not exist in the UK and is only found abroad.

The following quote is from the Image 430 spec.

"Incorporating specially designed telescopic antennas the IMAGE 430 has the added advantage of receiving all TV signals throughout the world, covering UHF and VHF reception".

In Amanda’s original thread, post numbers 22 and 35 (amongst others) refer. Admittedly, that discussion was about the "pull out" antennae apparently no longer fitted to the Status 530 aerial which is strangely identical in concept and fitted in exactly the same position as the Image 430.

Hopefully, the OP purchased the cheaper 420 model and therefore did not pay the extra £3 for the now redundant and useless (I believe) telescopic "pull outs".

Perhaps Martin Pickering might care to adjudicate?

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

I don't think that there is anything such as a digital aerial as any outdoor aerial will do the same job and that is get a picture. Some better than others. A cheapo at £15 can do the job just as well as a £1000 outdoor aerial with all fancy bit and bobs.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

I don't think that there is anything such as a digital aerial as any outdoor aerial will do the same job and that is get a picture. Some better than others. A cheapo at £15 can do the job just as well as a £1000 outdoor aerial with all fancy bit and bobs.

But the Ariel must be the broadband type (W)

But the Ariel must be the broadband type (W)

Why? Any old aerial will do to pick up a digital signal. In a good reception area a wire hanging out the window will do the same trick.

Lunar Delta TI

Why? Any old aerial will do to pick up a digital signal. In a good reception area a wire hanging out the window will do the same trick.

In a high signal area, but in a caravan that moves around the country it is wise to use one good high gain aerial that is of use in more places.

I am still looking for an aerial that will pick up a signal at the C&CC site at Glen Coe :D

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Different transmitters work best with different aerials but if moving around the only "universal" aerial is a log periodic. This site has a fairly detailed discussion on the subject if a bit nerdy http://www. aerialsandtv. com/touringaerials. html The Image 4X0 is of that type as is I think under the plastic case the Status 530

One blessing in that is the log periodic does not use the big reflectors you see on so many caravans so is much easier to store. The domestic type will be longer than the specific caravan models which produces a much higher signal although needs to be more carefully aligned for best results

"I am still looking for an aerial that will pick up a signal at the C&CC site at Glen Coe :D"

A satellite dish?

"I am still looking for an aerial that will pick up a signal at the C&CC site at Glen Coe :D"

A satellite dish?

I think you have already worked out the answer for yourself (you) HairyFoo l. :lol:

You would need a either a 60cm offset (non steel) dish or a Multimo prime focus dish to ensure an unbroken signal that far north. (Heavy rain, snowstorms etc).

A good quality receiver. I would recommend "Humax" for Freesat or a SKY box if preferred.

Personally, I would be inclined to go for a twin LNB from the start, just in case you ever want to progress to a twin channel recorder at a later date.

Also a tripod on which to mount the dish and a cheap signal meter with which to aim it at the satellite (Astra 2).

Most important, take a look at this web site – www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

I think you’re wrong Beejay. This refers to VHF TV reception which does not exist in the UK and is only found abroad.

Vin Blanc

I missed out two letters! It should have read. ......

The pull out rods are for VHF reception and not applicable to U. K. TV reception.

I missed out two letters! It should have read. ......

The pull out rods are for VHF reception and not applicable to U. K. TV reception.

So as far as the pull out rods are concerned, we are in total agreement beejay!

Vin Blanc

Yes but only over the band its designed to pick up over, the bands something like 21/68, a wide band Ariel such as the status will pick up over the full range.

At home i pick up from 41,44,47,48,51,52, thats from emley moor, on my last tour i tuned in to a different transmitter, so had to retune the TV.

Edited by xtrailman

No such thing as a digital aerial, just a figment of some sales person's imagination.

Lunar Delta TI

Another tip as you travel around. When you get the telly out the first thing to do is a factory reset (or whatever your manufacturer calls it.)

When tuning many TV's will do a 'search for additional channels' if you are not offered a fresh search or the ability to do it manually. If you do not then the last channels used will stay in the 1-100 range and any 'new' channels will be at 800 or higher.

Surely if you use a scart lead then there is no need to tune in the telly every time? We have never used terrestrial digital only the Sky.

Lunar Delta TI

Perhaps Martin Pickering might care to adjudicate?

Vin Blanc

Well, I've given my opinion in various discussions already. I firmly believe (based on practical experience) that the Vision "Focus" V10-040" log-periodic aerial is the best all rounder.

It is truly "wideband" having very little gain "droop" at the highest and lowest frequencies.

It has good rejection of unwanted signals to the rear and sides.

It has no unwieldy reflector so it is substantially flat and easy to stow away.

It needs NO amplifier or power supply unless you want to split the signal to feed to your friends.

It is not unduly expensive.

It has a higher intrinsic gain* than any "sharktooth" design.

*Gain quoted for "sharktooth" aerials inevitably includes amplifier gain. Amplifier gain is useful only if you want to push the signal through a very long cable. You can't amplify what isn't received.

Negatives:

It is over a metre long.

It doesn't come in a pretty plastic housing.

You have to fit a cable to it, which is a bit fiddly.

You can read about it here:

http://www. satcure. co. uk/tech/best_aerial. htm

Well, I've given my opinion in various discussions already. I firmly believe (based on practical experience) that the Vision "Focus" V10-040" log-periodic aerial is the best all rounder.

It is truly "wideband" having very little gain "droop" at the highest and lowest frequencies.

It has good rejection of unwanted signals to the rear and sides.

It has no unwieldy reflector so it is substantially flat and easy to stow away.

It needs NO amplifier or power supply unless you want to split the signal to feed to your friends.

It is not unduly expensive.

It has a higher intrinsic gain* than any "sharktooth" design.

*Gain quoted for "sharktooth" aerials inevitably includes amplifier gain. Amplifier gain is useful only if you want to push the signal through a very long cable. You can't amplify what isn't received.

Negatives:

It is over a metre long.

It doesn't come in a pretty plastic housing.

You have to fit a cable to it, which is a bit fiddly.

You can read about it here:

http://www. satcure. c. ..best_aerial. htm

I use a log periodic on the house but there is a shorter version with less gain which I use very successfully for caravanning (with a masthead ampflifier and PSU when necessary.)

http://www. iskranet. co. uk/index. php?cat=Log_Periodic_Wideband_TV_aerials