Caravan Club Ferry Offers With Camping Cheques

I have just been pricing and booked a Brittany Ferries crossing Portsmouth to Caen out April back July and got the following results:

Brittany Ferries website £518

Caravan Club website £418

Camping Cheques site £341. 85 inc 3 cheques

Caravan Club by phone £327. 65 inc 7 cheques

How this works is a mystery to me, £90 discount (on thier own price) plus approx £100 worth of cheques but I would recomend anyone going that way to call rather than use the website where the camping cheques dont seem to figure in the same way.

David

david

I booked two crossing on Tuesday with DFDS, one for May and the other for September £58 return car and caravan. don't know if the code NEC11 is still active but worth a try

Edited by TonyG

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

David,

Excellent price. How did you get the £90 discount + Camping Cheques? Is it just offered, do you ask and it is given, or do you ask and haggle.

Gordon

You can actually book this through the Caravan Club website - but you MUST select 7 Camping Cheques, otherwise you get a much higher quote - barmy I know, but a bargain! I've just tried it, afternoon crossing outward on 8th April, return on 7th July, for a car and caravan under 12 metres, and got the same price of £327. 65. Book quickly before prices go up!

Edited by ValA

David,

Excellent price. How did you get the £90 discount + Camping Cheques? Is it just offered, do you ask and it is given, or do you ask and haggle.

Gordon

Just give them the sailing times you want and ask for the camping cheques, I had already checked out the web price without cheques and didnt know wether the cheque deal was available online but it seems from Vals entry that they are

You can actually book this through the Caravan Club website - but you MUST select 7 Camping Cheques, otherwise you get a much higher quote - barmy I know, but a bargain! I've just tried it, afternoon crossing outward on 8th April, return on 7th July, for a car and caravan under 12 metres, and got the same price of £327. 65. Book quickly before prices go up!

Val does this mean you are retired now or was it just an excersise?

Another point about this route, there is a 10 AM outward crossing on Wednesdays that would have suited us better but it is £50 more.

David

Edited by David in Cheshire

Just an exercise - though I am 'retired' - and 'just in case'. We've booked our (solo car - caravan now stored in France) crossings for this year with DFDS but I always like to find out what's available.

We're members of the Caravan Club, and I sometimes think people don't realise just what good deals they do offer sometimes, especially at this time of year. We always used to book our ferries through them - only in the last couple of years have we booked directly with DFDS after the NEC show code was announced.

How this works is a mystery to me, £90 discount (on thier own price) plus approx £100 worth of cheques but I would recomend anyone going that way to call rather than use the website where the camping cheques dont seem to figure in the same way.

David

I've had a similar situation with Carefree of the C&CC, when buying an ACSI book with a ferry crossing by telephone. I was given an answer, that as I was purchasing a ferry crossing and accomodation, then the cost would be calculated as a package holiday. Even if I only wanted a vehicle crossing I would always ask Carefree to include one night for a tent, on the cheapest site anywhere, to have the possibility of getting the package rate as above.

John.

Edited by John19

If you don't want to be encumbered with 7 Camping Cheques then we have before found that Alan Rogers did a competitive deal with 3 cheques.

If you don't want to be encumbered with 7 Camping Cheques then we have before found that Alan Rogers did a competitive deal with 3 cheques.

I thought that last year when I was offered a similar deal and the agent at the CC said "throw them away if you dont use them, you are not paying for them"

The point is that the crossing is cheaper accepting the cheques than without!

Don't throw them away - offer them on here - someone will make you an offer for them - and anything gained is even more off the price of the ferry! I've bought several lots in the past from people who've bought similar crossing packages (but don't need any at the moment!).

Don't throw them away - offer them on here - someone will make you an offer for them - and anything gained is even more off the price of the ferry! I've bought several lots in the past from people who've bought similar crossing packages (but don't need any at the moment!).

Just to make the point, next year I shall most probably be on a Camping Cheque site for at least 8 nights, so if I booked a ferry using the CC which included 7 cheques, I would be in the market to purchase additional ones.

John.

I thought that last year when I was offered a similar deal and the agent at the CC said "throw them away if you dont use them, you are not paying for them"

The point is that the crossing is cheaper accepting the cheques than without!

Camping Cheques can be used in the UK too, mostly in the SW, and some of them look quite nice. Suggesting you could throw them away seems rather silly.

http://www. campingch. ..united-kingdom/

Gordon

We've used our Camping Cheques in the UK - at Newlands in Dorset, Rivendale in Derbyshire, Brighouse Bay in Scotland, and The Quiet Site at Ullswater - all very nice sites and definitely better than throwing Camping Cheques away!

There are always people who will take them off your hands at a discount. ....

Mind you, getting back to ValA's post, I can't seem to get the booking system to work at the moment. Maybe everybody's trying.

I think a few have missed the point here, regarding "throwing them away" that was just a "throw away" remark from the lady at the CC Foreign Touring Dept overcoming my incredulity that I would (12 months ago) be £30 better off accepting 7 cheques (that I didnt think I needed) at no charge. I did use them and have as described done the same again this year on even better terms. However the number of sites in the scheme is rather limited and I dont think I would bother with them unless they came free as part of the ferry package. Where I shall use them, a long stay deal is cheaper than a Camping Cheque (if paid for) and for the odd night elsewhere the administration charge wipes out the advantage.

David