Dealer Servicing

frazerg

Hi,

We bought our Lunar caravan from Robinson's at the 2009 NEC show . We took it back to them last year for 1st service. Our local Lunar dealer has agreed to service it and do any warranty work on it because they were not Lunar at the time of purchase. Can anybody see a downside to this as we can only see plus's as the local dealer is 5 miles away return but Robinsons is 240 miles return.

In my opinion, dealers don't have the legal right to insist you have your caravan serviced at the point of purchase. I have my caravan serviced by a mobile engineer who comes to me at a time convenient to me. If it is discovered there are any warranty issues at any time in the future, I expect them to be dealt with otherwise a court case which would be of interest to the whole caravan industry would ensue.

So long as the 'local' dealer are accredited Lunar dealers, then there shouldn't be a problem. Call or contact Lunar to confirm their claims first though.

I've just changed my service provider as I wish to having nothing more to do with my supplying dealer. Elddis are aware of my decisions also.

Diefer

I can't see an issue as long as the dealer is approved for such work by the manufacturer. ..perhaps an email to Lunar would confirm that position.

I transfered from supplying dealer to local one on my last Elddis. Make sure it is done officialy & you will have no probs.

In my opinion, dealers don't have the legal right to insist you have your caravan serviced at the point of purchase. I have my caravan serviced by a mobile engineer who comes to me at a time convenient to me. If it is discovered there are any warranty issues at any time in the future, I expect them to be dealt with otherwise a court case which would be of interest to the whole caravan industry would ensue.

if the caravan is not serviced in accordance with the manufacturers warranty ie by a manufacturer approved workshop, dealer or NCC approved workshop or mobile tech, then the warranty is invalid. and in most cases no dealer will entertain wasting their time and energy trying to claim for repairs from the manufacturer without a full and vallid service history.

Hi,

We bought our Lunar caravan from Robinson's at the 2009 NEC show . We took it back to them last year for 1st service. Our local Lunar dealer has agreed to service it and do any warranty work on it because they were not Lunar at the time of purchase. Can anybody see a downside to this as we can only see plus's as the local dealer is 5 miles away return but Robinsons is 240 miles return.

as long as they are a lunar dealer there should be no problems at all

My local mobile fitter won't do servicing on vans that are under Warranty because he says he is not Alko accredited and therefore Manufacturers do not recognise his work as being "acceptable" under the required annual service requirements to maintain Warranty.

I would check if I were you before it is too late.

That may be your opinion but I suggest that you check the terms and conditions of the manufacturer's warranty which you accepted on taking delivery of your caravan. As to "any warranty issues at any time in the future" I would suggest that you are very unlikely to have a manufacturer's warranty without limit of time.

I have mine done by a mobile man, its being done tomorrow actually.

Under new(ish) EU Directives you cannot invalidate a warranty by having it serviced by someone other than the manufacturer. Provided the manufacturers guidelines are followed. In fact if your warranty was initiated after 2009, the dealer may have broken European consumer laws by stating in the terms that it can only be serviced by their company.

if you mobile man is not a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme, then your warrnty will be invalid for the simple reason, it is not in-line with the manufacturers guidelines. bailey state it must be serviced by aa bailey dealer, a bailey approved workshop, or an AWS approved workshop or mobile technician

if you mobile man is not a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme, then your warrnty will be invalid for the simple reason, it is not in-line with the manufacturers guidelines. bailey state it must be serviced by aa bailey dealer, a bailey approved workshop, or an AWS approved workshop or mobile technician

Yes, thats correct. I should have been clearer, it has to be someone 'reasonably' qualified to carry out the work. I. e AWS recognised,

Strange things warranties. I always think of them as being more for the dealer than for me. OK if I go to the main dealer with a fault within a reasonable time I expect him to fix it. My contract is with him and not the manufacturer. A couple of years ago I needed a rear dinette squab replacing. Dealers response 'Swift will cover that at this time'. My response I have no contract with Swift it is you that I am asking to make repair or replace'. My rights with the seller are often greater than the guarantee. If something goes wrong outside warranty I have no comeback on the manufacturer but I may well have with the dealer.

On a similar note OH has a laptop from curries I think. When it had a fault at 10 months old Curries tried to insist I dealt with the manufacturers warranty. I said 'No, not my concern - here is the laptop I expect it to be repaired or replaced within a maximum of 10 days. How you achieve that is your problem'. If you want to phone the manufacturer now, whilst I am present, I will tell them the symptoms as I have told you but I am having no further involvement',

Of course as you have no contract of purchase with another service provider any problems can only be fixed by him during the warranty period. The warranty period for soft furnishings, light fittings, catches etc is probably quite short.

Hi All,

When I booked my caravan in with the local Lunar dealer I asked if by having it serviced by them my Lunar warranty was going to be maintained. There response was that as they sold new Lunar caravans they were automatically approved to service them and keep the Lunar warranty.

After reading on here that I should check with Lunar I e'mailed them last night and Lunar's stance on this that any NCC approved workshop can carry out the service and maintain the warranty.

So I went on the NCC website and the dealer doesn't appear on there so I've e'mailed Lunar back and specifically asked if this dealer can carry out the service and and maintain my warranty, if they can't it will have to go back to Robinson's

Hi All,

When I booked my caravan in with the local Lunar dealer I asked if by having it serviced by them my Lunar warranty was going to be maintained. There response was that as they sold new Lunar caravans they were automatically approved to service them and keep the Lunar warranty.

After reading on here that I should check with Lunar I e'mailed them last night and Lunar's stance on this that any NCC approved workshop can carry out the service and maintain the warranty.

So I went on the NCC website and the dealer doesn't appear on there so I've e'mailed Lunar back and specifically asked if this dealer can carry out the service and and maintain my warranty, if they can't it will have to go back to Robinson's

What your local dealer claims could be correct, despite not being members of the NCC AWS.

There is an member of the NCC AWS in Wrexham which save you from travelling to the supplying dealer.

Hi All,

Lunar have responded that because the dealer is a Lunar dealer he can service the van and maintain my warranty.

Thanks DeeTee, the NCC AWS member in Wrexham came out of the closed down Discover Leisure dealers in Wrexham .

I think i'll try the Lunar dealer who are Clwyd Caravans in Ruabon,Wrexham unless anybody advises differently.

Just to reitrerate, the Company I use to service my caravan are part of the AWS scheme and as such maintain the validity of my warranty as prescribed by Adria. Just because he doesn't sell Adria caravans doesn't make him ineligible to service my caravan.

Remember you don't need to go to a dealer, There are a lot of AWS approved workshops (as well as mobile engineers) who don't sell caravans. They just service them and often are authorised to carry out warranty work.

Because they rely upon servicing rather than selling vans, they are more than happy to oblige.

poolebob

Just to reitrerate, the Company I use to service my caravan are part of the AWS scheme and as such maintain the validity of my warranty as prescribed by Adria. Just because he doesn't sell Adria caravans doesn't make him ineligible to service my caravan.

unless adria have changed their terms and conditions since we sold them, they always had to be serviced by an adria approved agent or workshop only. not even an aws member could service them to maintain their warranty

Archived