Cleaning Windows

Anton88

How do you guys clean your caravan windows avoiding scratching and swirls? Mine are quite dirty now but afraid to try and clean them.

Anton

Anton

Rinse off with plenty of water first to remove any grit and dirt, then wash using fenwicks wash solution with a sponge. rinse with fenwicks bobby dazzler and when dry finally buff up using micro fibre cloth

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

How do you guys clean your caravan windows avoiding scratching and swirls? Mine are quite dirty now but afraid to try and clean them.

Anton

As said plenty of water and a soft cloth but the long term answer is you cant really prevent it happening especially at the front. Never seen a van yet that did'nt have scratched windows after a couple of years use. They may look ok at a distance but have a close up look and its a different story.

peter.

As said use plenty of water and I find proprietary cleaning fluids will polish well e. g. Mr Sheen etc.

If you have minor scatches then Brasso is good and for fine scatches use toothpaste.

Bill

Without using any Solvents in the cleaning product or it will cause crazing in the plastic .

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/54757-window-crazing/

Dave

As said plenty of water and a soft cloth but the long term answer is you cant really prevent it happening especially at the front. Never seen a van yet that did'nt have scratched windows after a couple of years use. They may look ok at a distance but have a close up look and its a different story.

peter.

Try looking at mine. :rolleyes:

I wash the dirt off with plenty of water with Fenwicks in it, then polish the window with Mer. Any good car polish will do.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Greased lightning waterless polish - no scratches - no water - quick - easy and does the job a treat.

Click on the link below

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/41601-anyone-used-greased-lightning-on-their-vans/page__fromsearch__1

BO

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

Waterless polish is not a good idea for caravan windows.

Better to get the dirt off first that is what causes the scratches.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

+1 its great stuff!

Greased lightning waterless polish - no scratches - no water - quick - easy and does the job a treat.

Click on the link below

http://www. caravanta. ..__fromsearch__1

BO

Waterless polish is not a good idea for caravan windows.

Better to get the dirt off first that is what causes the scratches.

Waterless polish is a good idea and Greased Lightning DOES NOT cause scratches

Honest Artleknock. Promise.

I know - I use it

BO

Warm soapy water to wash the whole of the caravan then just buff up the windows with a soft cloth. I've got a bit of an odd one with the caravan i've got just now i'm going to ask about.

It was cleaned when I got it but me being me gave it another once over and also cleaned the windows. However it seems the windows in between the plastic have been taken out, cleaned all streaky and put back. Are the windows easy to come out / apart or is it best just to leave it? I can live with it rather than attempt to take the windows out if that's the case but if it's easy i'll try it.

Compass Shadow 1988

However it seems the windows in between the plastic have been taken out, cleaned all streaky and put back.

A? Sorry Mechs, Normally the windows are made of two 'panes' and then are bonded together leaving an air gap in between the two panes, so they are unseperable and therefore impossible to clean the inner surfaces.

What do you mean by the windows in between the plastic?

BO

A? Sorry Mechs, Normally the windows are made of two 'panes' and then are bonded together leaving an air gap in between the two panes, so they are unseperable and therefore impossible to clean the inner surfaces.

What do you mean by the windows in between the plastic?

BO

It's as if at some point the window panes have been seperated, cleaned and put back together still streaky. Either that or the guy I got the caravan off had cleaned and waxed it all so maybe he's just used the same cloth as he waxed with :P I'll give them another clean as it could be something like that as I didn't think they came apart unless they were broken apart

Compass Shadow 1988

They have been reported to come apart in a post on here and the OP wanted advice on the type of glue to stick them back together.

I think? it was suggested that clear sealant was used.

I will try a search.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/50973-caravan-window-delamination/page__hl__window+coming+apart__fromsearch__1

Something close.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Is it an even film or is it streaky.

Does it look like condensation?

Try washing and then polishing well. This might clean it properly thus removing any old polish

Bo

No they're actually streaky. I think they've been taken apart at some point though as at the bottom of them even though they're plastic windows they've got a bit aluminium on the bottom like you'd get on glass windows :wacko: I've not yet seen how easy this is to remove so will have a look tomorrow but it's not a major issue - just something that will probably bug me :rolleyes:

Thanks - i'm away to the gym so i'll think of you all when i'm away out in the freezing cold then sweating my guts off in a spinning class! :D

Compass Shadow 1988

It is not a vacuum. It can be a problem though. We all seek a proper answer. :wacko:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

It's as if at some point the window panes have been seperated, cleaned and put back together still streaky. Either that or the guy I got the caravan off had cleaned and waxed it all so maybe he's just used the same cloth as he waxed with :P I'll give them another clean as it could be something like that as I didn't think they came apart unless they were broken apart

That sounds very like what I saw with my front offside window, at first glance it looked like a streak between the panes, look closer and you could see that both inner sides had the same mark, in fact it was the notorious and known rubbing together of the two panes so you were left with a streaky mark on the inner side. Solution - replaced under warranty.

Coachman Amara 380/2

Thanks, been washing the caravan again and it's still there on a couple of windows and definately as the above post says it is streaks on the inner sides - I won't get warrenty, my caravan's ancient! :D Not a major problem, just wondered what it was. Strangely enough there's very little or no scratching / crazing though so I won't complain! :P

Compass Shadow 1988