Getting Ready For Winter

Rich5

Well Winter is nearly here. Im after some advice on winterisation.

I went away early October, and I am not due to go again till mid November, so as a precaution I drained the tanks, (hot water and toilet flush) I've opened all the taps,

just incase we get any bad frosts between trips.

So come November the 10th when we are due out again, I will fill up and switch the taps of etc. And when we get back drain down again.

But how do pepole go on that go out all year round? Do things not freeze up?

And is there an easier way of doing it? Would you do anything different?

Thanks.

as long as you drain down and do everything else needed when returning home should be no problems. never been away when freezing hard so cant comment on freezing up problems,but i should imagine that you need to insulate your aquaroll and pipes and keep the van well heated inside to stop onboard pump and pipes freezing

Well Winter is nearly here. Im after some advice on winterisation.

I went away early October, and I am not due to go again till mid November, so as a precaution I drained the tanks, (hot water and toilet flush) I've opened all the taps,

just incase we get any bad frosts between trips.

So come November the 10th when we are due out again, I will fill up and switch the taps of etc. And when we get back drain down again.

But how do pepole go on that go out all year round? Do things not freeze up?

And is there an easier way of doing it? Would you do anything different?

Thanks.

I stand the aquarole on a bit of wood then cover it with a large duvet, just wrap it round a couple of times, it seems to work. Also have a 5ltr water container inside the van, just in case. Always fill the kettle last thing at night and you can get a brew next morning, if frozen up.

When you mention draining down, at the back end of my van there are some plugs (some vans have taps) in the pipe work. When I pull the plugs out, it is surprising how much water is still in the pipes after draining the heater.

We always drain down, summer or winter when we leave site. Just open the drain valve (not on a grass pitch though),open all the taps and empty the flush tank when we leave. It's easy and all the water gets shaken out of the van on the journey home. No stale water left in the pipes and no chance of freezing. Also has the benefit of not having 10-15kg extra weight inb the van.

Archived