To Caravan For Winter Sun Or Hotel Best Option

As a fairly new caravanner we had considered spending some time abroad to find some winter sun, we have now decided to look at the hotel option first, We have booked a all inclusive hotel in Malta for one month in Dec/ Jan covers Christmas new year for a total cost of £ 2200 for the two of us, this is flight, transfers, full board, afternoon tea, late night snacks, all hot drinks etc, alcohol ten till midnight, indoor pool bowling green etc etc. at these prices does it make taking a van down to southern Spain viable?

Probably not - but if you hate the hotel you can't move on, and if it's raining there for a month you're a bit stuck. At least with your own van on the back you can change your view, your area, or even your Country if things don't suit!

Probably not - but if you hate the hotel you can't move on, and if it's raining there for a month you're a bit stuck. At least with your own van on the back you can change your view, your area, or even your Country if things don't suit!

Good points, unlikely to rain for a month in Malta, we do have a the advantage of review sites to get a idea of what hotels are like, with regard to changing site I would want to book for a minimum of a month to keep costs down changing sites and country is fine with hearty funds !

I've done both. The apartments we booked were lovely - but for me, I prefer taking the caravan. My costs for my forthcoming winter in Spain include £200 for Eurotunnel - in fact Tesco vouchers makes it free. Fuel for out and back £440. One months site fees is 200 Euros and electricity is 85 Euros. That's a total of around £900. Which leaves me with quite a bit left over for meals and drinks. And I won't have to hire a car.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi mellyboy. Malta is not Spain,two completely different parameters. Malta is very nice but tends to 'go asleep in the later part of the year until about early April, and it is only a month that you are considering. There are also private renting deals available and some of them are even on the island of Gozo if you want quieter and a little more remote. Gozo is accessible by ferry but the crossings can be very choppy/rough.

The only ways to get around Malta are by their buses or risk hiring a car and coming unstuck upon the return of it,they are also reckoned not to be the best serviced & most reliable.

I believe that there is a touring/static caravan site on Malta but the trip with your own could prove to be more expensive than a Costa Blanca via France jaunt or even a Bilbao or Santander crossing.

A Winter Sun on the Costa Blanca and possibly down at La Manga or even at Camping Florantilles near San Miguel de Salinas is a popular choice with many,not least of all the Brits.

Depending on your tow-vehicle and what you are hauling you could have an 8wk away trip including fuel and reasonable additional costs for a fair bit under £3000. 00.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi mellyboy. Malta is not Spain,two completely different parameters. Malta is very nice but tends to 'go asleep in the later part of the year until about early April, and it is only a month that you are considering. There are also private renting deals available and some of them are even on the island of Gozo if you want quieter and a little more remote. Gozo is accessible by ferry but the crossings can be very choppy/rough.

The only ways to get around Malta are by their buses or risk hiring a car and coming unstuck upon the return of it,they are also reckoned not to be the best serviced & most reliable.

I believe that there is a touring/static caravan site on Malta but the trip with your own could prove to be more expensive than a Costa Blanca via France jaunt or even a Bilbao or Santander crossing.

A Winter Sun on the Costa Blanca and possibly down at La Manga or even at Camping Florantilles near San Miguel de Salinas is a popular choice with many,not least of all the Brits.

Depending on your tow-vehicle and what you are hauling you could have an 8wk away trip including fuel and reasonable additional costs for a fair bit under £3000. 00.

Thanks for the information, I am aware that Malta is not Spain we did not choose to go to there as a direct comparison with caravaning in Spain, we choose Malta as we understand it is popular with Brits for a winter break and the hotel has a bowling green, outdoor bowls in winter sounds good, I supose a fair comparsion as to costs would be to rent a apartment . We enjoy caravaning and real holidays, just returned from a two week cruise.

I've done both. The apartments we booked were lovely - but for me, I prefer taking the caravan. My costs for my forthcoming winter in Spain include £200 for Eurotunnel - in fact Tesco vouchers makes it free. Fuel for out and back £440. One months site fees is 200 Euros and electricity is 85 Euros. That's a total of around £900. Which leaves me with quite a bit left over for meals and drinks. And I won't have to hire a car.

Sounds ok, How do find stress levels on this sort of trip. ?

Hi Rooster your figures are not far out we did 10 weeks for £2800 all in taking the ferry both ways from UK to Spain and started of at La Manga, Camping Florantilles at Torrevieja, Camping Almafra, Benidorm, Camping Monmar at Moncofa and finishing up at Camping Bonterra Park at Benicassim

Edited by neil and lena

The flexibility of having the caravan and my own car is what I like. Even if it might cost a tad more. As for the stress of getting there, a drive through France and Spain is ten times more enjoyable than hours spent at Airwick Gatport.

Hi all,

In three weeks time we're off to sunny Blighty, just for couple of days then fly to Antigua for a month, we were there for March of this year and we love it. When we were in England we very much enjoyed our winter 'vaning with friends in the Volvo and T. E. C. Clubs, if you're on a site with good facilities there's nothing better than getting out on a cold crisp morning for a good walk and to get back to your nice warm 'van for a bowl of soup and crusty bread for lunch. But for now as my bones are much older than then I think I'll stick to Antigua !! To all those away in your caravans for winter, do enjoy, have a crach with your neighbours and be safe. Catch ya later,indoors.

Thanks for the information, I am aware that Malta is not Spain we did not choose to go to there as a direct comparison with caravaning in Spain, we choose Malta as we understand it is popular with Brits for a winter break and the hotel has a bowling green, outdoor bowls in winter sounds good, I supose a fair comparsion as to costs would be to rent a apartment . We enjoy caravaning and real holidays, just returned from a two week cruise.

Hi mellyboy. My point was as you have said it was about near comparison. We did Malta earlier this year and stayed in a cracking hotel that does Winter Specials through Chevron but also take bookings direct as many do anyway. I cannot remember the name of the hotel but it was just up the main street heading to the shore line from the bus station at Buggiba.

We booked our trip through Thomas Cook and flew from Manchester.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi Rooster your figures are not far out we did 10 weeks for £2800 all in taking the ferry both ways from UK to Spain and started of at La Manga, Camping Florantilles at Torrevieja, Camping Almafra, Benidorm, Camping Monmar at Moncofa and finishing up at Camping Bonterra Park at Benicassim

Hi Neil & Lena. Thank you for that little bit of info/reassurance. We were hoping to go this year but health issues prevented us committing to the trip because of forward projections of further hospital visits/check-ups.

An advantage of leaving it for another 12months aside of the feel better factor is the opportunity of a longer spell to find a Post Office back door unlocked!!!,this would increase our spending power considerably.

Hi all,

In three weeks time we're off to sunny Blighty, just for couple of days then fly to Antigua for a month, we were there for March of this year and we love it. When we were in England we very much enjoyed our winter 'vaning with friends in the Volvo and T. E. C. Clubs, if you're on a site with good facilities there's nothing better than getting out on a cold crisp morning for a good walk and to get back to your nice warm 'van for a bowl of soup and crusty bread for lunch. But for now as my bones are much older than then I think I'll stick to Antigua !! To all those away in your caravans for winter, do enjoy, have a crach with your neighbours and be safe. Catch ya later,indoors.

Hi indoors. If you have a mind whilst you are away, send us all on CT an early E'Christmas Card.

Edited by TheTravellingRooster

I have not done the winter sun type trip myself, we go in the spring when the winter visitors have left but costs wise I dont hink it would be much different. We keep a good record of all we spend and get a total cost of around £50 per night. I have friends who have been flying out to an all inclusive hotel in Ameria for very little more i. e around €60 a night plus flight. On a cost basis there is no argument, he has not spent £40K (or whatever we all spend ) on an outfit but I wouldnt swap with with them. With everything done for them and only able to take the "toys" that will fit in a suitcase, few books, no telly laptop etc how do they get through the day?

Edited by David in Cheshire

IMO you can't beat the Canaries for a long winter break at moderate cost as the weather is much more reliable and warmer than mainland Spain. Low cost airlines fly into all 4 main islands and s/c accommodation is reasonably priced, between £200-£250 pw. That said, if you want to get out of winter altogether, you can't beat a long trip downunder, but it costs a lot more!

As with others I have tried both types of stay but the caravan has won hands down. I am sending this from a wifi bar just outside Raco camping just outside Benidorm and am here for another five weeks before heading home for Christmas. We have the car and the freedom it gives as well as friendly bel ours from as far afield as Sweden as well as the usual groups from the UK, Holland etc. Can't recommend it enough, Basra las vista, Agzy