I Like The Caravan Club

iansoady

Just thought as there's so much negative comment I would mention that for £40 a year I think it's excellent value. Of course it doesn't do everything I want (who on earth wants to attend rallies?) but it provides a great network of Club sites at reasonable value, gives access to the immensely valuable CL network, and by and large does a good job.

I'm sure the same could be said for CCC but I have little experience other than their Oxford site which is very handy.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

Crikey this could be one of the most controversial posts made in recent times - expect imminent arrival of the nay sayers and pay a deposit brigade. ..

But have to say I agree with you :)

Coachman Amara 380/2

No arguments from me Ian - well said!

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

got to agree fella, I joined just before collecting our van last week, insured the van with them, not the cheapest quote, but do cover what i wanted on the policy and we spent our first couple of nights at Cherry Hinton on our trip home and were very happy with the site (very clean everywhere, showers toilets and general site) wardens were very helpful and well woth the £40 to join, also as we were recommended by a friend he's getting a £5 off voucher for his next trip, their website has lots of good info on it, and everyone i've spoke too either on the phone or thru web chat have been helpful in answering my questions. . all in all great value for money. . oh and the Magazines a good read too. .

Outfit. .. 2013 Ford Kuga Titanium X Towing a 2011 Bailey Unicorn Almeria

I agree with the op, I think on the whole they do a sterling job and I have Mayday vehicle rescue and caravan insurance through them. It is always a pleasure to deal with them. The only fly in the ointment in my opinion is that the club sites are quite pricey - I know they are not a dear as some commercial sites but I just wish they were a bit cheaper. We tend to use CL's which is great!

Volvo XC70 followed by a 2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verona

(who on earth wants to attend rallies?)

What is wrong with Rallies?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I agree with the op, I think on the whole they do a sterling job and I have Mayday vehicle rescue and caravan insurance through them. It is always a pleasure to deal with them. The only fly in the ointment in my opinion is that the club sites are quite pricey - I know they are not a dear as some commercial sites but I just wish they were a bit cheaper. We tend to use CL's which is great!

My view and usage of the CC is exactly the same.

. ..What is wrong with Rallies?

They're a bit like Marmite you either love them or you hate them! :rolleyes:

Not for me I'm afraid!

G.

Edited by chapmag

I have problems with some of their sites being overcrowded, cheek by jowl and I do wish they'd use some imagination when setting out hardstanding pitches i. e. instead of dead straight lines of pitches move them in and out and angle them especially if they're built off a straight access road. One of their latest efforts, at Cirencester, looks terrible, a car park with grass behind it.

I even suggested that some sites might like to make areas available for landscape and garden design students at local colleges to design, build and maintain but the answer was they couldn't because every site has to do the same. No imagination and a stronghold of the straightline tendency.

Otherwise they're OK but we find we're using their sites less and less as the years go by.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I was only thinking earlier today how excellent the CC are. I know people complain about sites being fully booked and deposits etc.

But I find the service excellent, I always try to use CC sites as we know what to expect and IMO the pricing is very reasonable compared to commercial sites. We have used CL's but they are by no means my favourite sites and I prefer the "buzz" on a CC site but people like differentt things so its great that the CC cater for everyone.

Their insurance is also brilliant and i'm also thinking of taking out recovery through them now.

I wish there were more CC sites in Wales especially as the limited amount they have in Wales get pretty full.

Ian

People say that MacDonalds are popular 'because you know what to expect' but surely you can't go through life wanting everywhere and everything to be 'what you expect' that would be very boring wouldn't it. Variety is the spice of life and boring consistency provides no interest or challenge.

I didn't realise that you had to attend Rallies as part of your membership, i thought it was optional

I like, and am a member of both of the clubs, they both give a great selection of sites and a massive aray of CL/CS sites to choose from. well worth the membership. (even just for the red pennant insurance)

The CC sites are a bit more formal and well laid out, while the C&CC sites are a little more rustic ( Ok then Tatty) but hey ho you pays your money and you takes your choice

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

I have been a CC member since 1988, the membership fee then was £27, so an increase to £40 over 24 years is quite reasonable if you consider the rising cost of everything else in our lives. I have grown disappointed with our near local site at Daleacres during recent years. The pitch numbers have doubled, with the result of severe crowding at most weekends.

In those 24 years we tried rallying and decided its not for us. I found it too cliiquey to the extent that we felt like outcasts due to various reasons.

Overall we are happy to continue our membership purely for the quality of the sites and the standards of them.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

yep, we like the caravan club too and have in the last couple of years been using CLs more and more too. we also use commercial sites if they happen to be in an area we want to visit and there are no club sites nearby. being a member of the caravan club doesn't mean you have to use them all the time, they're just there if you want them.

and sometimes 'boring consistancy' is just what you want ;)

we like the CC . .... just annoys me that the sites are supposedly 'rammed' but many a time folks don't bother turning out.

We have always found standards high from every CC site we have had the pleasure of.

the magazine was Ok for a start but after a couple of years you can see a repeat happening . ...bit like the BBC i suppose. I can appreciate that but the thing is full of adverts for various vitamin supplements, velcro shoes and naff trousers, but i expect that they pay for the mag' via revenue. .

All I can say is that both are fine. .. provided you forget they are Clubs. In my opinion they are commercial organisations that offer a service for a fee. Nothing wrong with that, I pay my insurance for example and expect a return. I pay the CC and C&CC to be able to use sites and get insurance at reasonable rate.

My only grouse is that they play on the 'Club' idea. Clubs to my mind mean the members have a say, but although they go through the motions it is almost impossible for any member to influence what the management have decided. Any motion that suggests a contrary view is removed, or never appears, from the agenda. The management are like our government, carefully selected from the 'boys'.

Frankly, it does not bother me as again I use them as a commercial Company, however, I absolutley no loyalty. I gave that up 20 years ago.

Volvo V70 and Cristall Samoa 450

We agonised about which club to join and plumped for the C&CC. Its worth the cost even though we have never booked or indeed stayed on one of their sites. I'm sure we will one day its just that we have only been caravanning since May. When you think about it you could not get the magazine subscription for that amount of cash and there are many different depts. that are available to us, as is the CC.

Bailey Pegasus Bologna / BMW 530d F11 M-Sport

we like the CC . .... just annoys me that the sites are supposedly 'rammed' but many a time folks don't bother turning out.

We have always found standards high from every CC site we have had the pleasure of.

the magazine was Ok for a start but after a couple of years you can see a repeat happening . ...bit like the BBC i suppose. I can appreciate that but the thing is full of adverts for various vitamin supplements, velcro shoes and naff trousers, but i expect that they pay for the mag' via revenue. .

If you "take" Practical caravan or Caravan magazine they run repeats on all manner of subjects every year!

Dave

I stopped taking Practical C last year and would be more than happy to forego the monthly CC 'comic'. I suppose the CC mag. can possibly be looked on as free, but just when did monthly magazines start costing as much as I earned in a week when I started my working career?

I'm quite happy with the caravan club, and would be happy to pay the yearly fee jut for access to the CL network, let alone all the other benefits. I also have my caravan insurance and recovery with them, both of which provide excellent service.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

All I can say is that both are fine. .. provided you forget they are Clubs. In my opinion they are commercial organisations that offer a service for a fee. Nothing wrong with that, I pay my insurance for example and expect a return. I pay the CC and C&CC to be able to use sites and get insurance at reasonable rate.

My only grouse is that they play on the 'Club' idea. Clubs to my mind mean the members have a say, but although they go through the motions it is almost impossible for any member to influence what the management have decided. Any motion that suggests a contrary view is removed, or never appears, from the agenda. The management are like our government, carefully selected from the 'boys'.

Frankly, it does not bother me as again I use them as a commercial Company, however, I absolutley no loyalty. I gave that up 20 years ago.

If that member has the support of a majority of the rest of the membership there is no reason why their views will not be heard. Members currently have their opportunity to cast their votes at the AGM. See CC website for details.

One of the main reasons why the CC formed a limited by guarantee trading company was that the whole of the membership would have been individually liable if the club had been sued or got into financial difficulties.

Edited by DeeTee

I am very happy being a member of the CC. I use their insurance and the Green Flag Mayday service.

The "bonus" for me is because I generally tour on my own its better value per pitch. In fact I haven't stayed on a non CC site since 2008.

Vauxhall Signum V6 3. 0CDTi & Bailey Pegasus 462.