Last Trip Of The Season...

jamesnshell

We are heading off to blue dolhpin near scarborough from 22nd oct to 28th oct. Anybody else in the area?

looking forward to it as its our first time out in our new van :)

so thankful that i came across this site as im now confident of how to prepare my caravan for winter.

It's so depressing getting the 'van ready for winter :( so this year hoping to be our first winter using it, even if it's only the odd night or two as opposed to every weekend :D

Compass Shadow 1988

Have a safe tow and a great break.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Our next trip out is just outside scarborough, a site in West ayton 25th - 28th november. hoping to get the odd weekend in after that too. winter? what winter? :)

Why is it "the last trip of the season?" (Not just the opening poster, but also anyone else)

There are some lovely sites open all year round etc. Yes the weather can be pants, but it can be equally pants in July!

I will add that from my observations, caravans out number motorhomes by a high margin, yet in winter this seems to narrow. I think that means that less motorhomes lay up over winter than caravans (in percentage terms,) so why is that?

Due to work and other stuff, we have done nothing much since June, but have both UK and European stuff planned for November and December.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

We are off to buxton weekend after next, & hopfully away again over christmas. Caravans cost too much money just to use for only 6 months !

Were off to Hoburne Bashley near New Forest nit been to this area or site before but our "local" site is Hoburne Cotswold is lovely so we're hoping for something similar.

This will be our last trip in the Elddis (unless we squeeze one in very early next year) as we "did the deal" at the caravan show and should be picking up our new van in Spring. ...hopefully given it's slightly more modern insulation we may streeeeetch the season next year

thanks for all the replies. Its nice to see so many people use there van through winter. With this been our first outing in our new van, i feel its only right to park it up for winter and get lots of use from early next year, with having 3yr old and 18 mnth baba dont really want to venture out in the weathe conditions. will probably go throught all next year as i will have better knowledge of van (towing, using to full potential etc) and the kiddies will be a little older :)

Were off to Hoburne Bashley near New Forest nit been to this area or site before but our "local" site is Hoburne Cotswold is lovely so we're hoping for something similar.

This will be our last trip in the Elddis (unless we squeeze one in very early next year) as we "did the deal" at the caravan show and should be picking up our new van in Spring. ...hopefully given it's slightly more modern insulation we may streeeeetch the season next year

This site is great we were down there for a week in July, if you have kids the entertainment is fantastic. If you have not visited the area before the Beaulieu Motor Museum is worth a visit as is Christchurch.

Have fun wish we were going, we will be away in the Peak District next weekend and then away for New Year.

If you can persuade the missus getting away in winter is great.

it's easier and cheaper to heat your van in the winter than the house,as someone says there is nowt better to get back from a walk and be sat all cosy in the van with your cheeks all rosy lol

sounds very appealing to me and the wife, but with our kids on hand dont think it would be a good idea. Will definalty have to try it tho!!

True, my house is usually always freeing, costs the usual fortune to heat yet Jack the other day asked how the caravan heats up so quickly that you've got to turn the heater off!

Compass Shadow 1988

True, my house is usually always freeing, costs the usual fortune to heat yet Jack the other day asked how the caravan heats up so quickly that you've got to turn the heater off!

While you are on a seasonal site it is cheaper to use a large 13kg Propane gas cylinder.

Left on it's lowest setting our gas fire kept us really cosy when we did Meets for the last 9 years over 5 days of Christmas.

An 18kg is even cheaper to run but needs still need chaining up to maintain an upright state at all times. (not really sensible if mobile though)

Problems arise if the regulator is bulkhead fitted because the pigtail length is restricted and will not allow use of an external gas cylinder. A cylinder mounted regulator allows orange gas pipe to be used.

Be warned though. Retire to the van and the house gets too cold and may give water pipe freezing problems. We can't win can we?

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Yes i've got 2 of the wee dumpy propane gas bottles (only one's full) in the front locker but chained to the caravan is a 13kg and a 19kg propane bottles. Yes i'm a greedy ***** but if in the middle of winter one runs out we can just rig up to the next one until we can get to the garage. I haven't used the ones in the front locker, they were already there plus a different regulator. We just use the big bottles on a seasonal pitch.

I had frozen pipes last year - while I was at home :rolleyes: Tried to run away dish water and wouldn't go - the boiling kettle did the trick. We're never away for any length of time (a weekend at the most) but if and when we are away this year i'll turn the water off in the house or leave the heating on a low heat while we're away.

I don't use the water system in the caravan anyway, just trail to the tap but make sure we've got a big supply as known that to freeze at times too :o

Compass Shadow 1988

Make sure the cold water tank in the roof is well lagged. (if that's where yours is) Any leak up there is destined to come through the ceiling. :angry:

best laugh of the evening!!

:D

Im a 4 in a block so the old guy upstairs got all tht done as it's up his loft. He also got the loft insulation, cavity wall thing free cos he's in his 80's

Compass Shadow 1988

In recent years we've often found spring & autumn weather better than the so called summer! And some winters okay it's been cold but can be drier than August! I think the short daylight hours must put a few folks off though. ...

Coachman Amara 380/2

Archived