Bailey Unicorn Window Catches.

Mike Faz

Has anyone queeried the fact that the front offside window on the Unicorn range has a catch mounted upside down?

I complained to my dealer (Campbell's Caravans) who said they had received previous complaints and referred the matter to Bailey. Bailey said that there was nothing wrong with the catch and said there was nothing they could do. Miriad Products (the importer) advised me that the manufacturer (Polyplastics) did not make a left handed catch but they had also received complaints. They had responded to the complaints by putting together an update which was available through Bailey as a cost option. This involves replacing the catches with ones which has window struts attached. Apparently they are manufactured in both left and right hand options.

Bailey has refused to accept my complaint but it is interesting to note that the update has now been fitted to 2012 models. Having spent £20K on my caravan this does seem like a lack of customer care.

I did question this when I got my Valencia and was told the same story why Bailey can't put a handle with a stay on on a £20. 000 caravan is beyond me.

I did think of putting handles with stays on myself but to be honest I don't even notice it now.

Far too much going on on the campsites to nose at to worry about the handle pointing up !!!!!!!!! LOL ;)

Has anyone queeried the fact that the front offside window on the Unicorn range has a catch mounted upside down?

I complained to my dealer (Campbell's Caravans) who said they had received previous complaints and referred the matter to Bailey. Bailey said that there was nothing wrong with the catch and said there was nothing they could do. Miriad Products (the importer) advised me that the manufacturer (Polyplastics) did not make a left handed catch but they had also received complaints. They had responded to the complaints by putting together an update which was available through Bailey as a cost option. This involves replacing the catches with ones which has window struts attached. Apparently they are manufactured in both left and right hand options.

Bailey has refused to accept my complaint but it is interesting to note that the update has now been fitted to 2012 models. Having spent £20K on my caravan this does seem like a lack of customer care.

This topic was raised on CT here more than one year ago.

This has been discussed on here several times already. It does seem very penny pinching but I must agree with bridgers 203 that I don`t notice it anymore.

I did suggest previously that Bailey could adopt the symbol of a single window catch handle pointing upwards as their new logo !

Bob

Did you query the window catches before you bought your a caravan ? The information about window catches fitted to certain Bailey models has been in the public domain for at least one year.

Very handy feature. - just right to hook the T. V. Cables on out of the way.

Very handy feature. - just right to hook the T. V. Cables on out of the way.

Unique selling point :D

This irritates the life out of me on our olly.

I have been through the same issue with the dealer & Bailey, neither careless, along the lines of "your money is now sitting in our bank accounts, so jog on".

The initial Olly we looked at ( 2nd hand with the upgrade upholstery ) was one of the first production run, so had window stays fitted on both sides of the outer windows, but for the same money we could have a new van, with standard upholstery, so we went for new.

We didn't notice on the pdi, but after getting the caravan home contacted the dealer, who basicially said, nothing to do with us take it up with Bailey. After a few back & fore emails we had quite a blunt email from Ian Turner who said that due to production, commercial & technical reasons the outer stay had been removed & that the replacements was for the only handed catch available.

We have spoken to Stowford, during a recent trip & they agreed that it does spoil the look of the front of the van & that we could buy the stays from miriad & have them fitted, again at a cost, so we are considering this, but you need to look into having this fitted, as it may invalidate any remaining warranty.

It simply comes down to penny pinching, they reckon 5,000 alu tech have been made & have saved around £25 on each one, so a big saving for Bailey.

It's just another case of dealers & maunfaturers hoping people won't notice or care.

I cannot believe how anyone can get so stressed out over such a petty issue, just enjoy your caravan and use it to relieve the stresses of every day life, enjoy enjoy enjoy!!!

It's not a case of stress, it's a matter of attitude.

If you bought a pair of shoes, with say one lace black, the other white, then the seller would probably quite happily change the laces. £15K for a caravan & the dealer fobs us off, & honestly couldn't careless, then the manufacturer says the same thing & is quite abrupt about it.

Most suppliers, us included, are happy to try to resolve customer issues & want happy customers, who will recomend their product.

If the handles were out of sight, then I probably wouldn't have bothered about it, but they are in the window, so clearly on view. It looks like we haven't closed the catch.

So as I say, not a case of stress more disappointed with the poor attitude of both the dealer & the manufacturer.

No different to many other vans - we had the same on our previous swift as well as our current unicorn.

I never even gave it a thought until I read a post on a swift forum then spotted it.

Does it bother me in any way ? No. Does it affect the window operation ? No. Do I sit and stare at the handles ? No.

Not quite sure why you are so upset the dealers or Bailey won't do anything ? It's not a fault it's a cost down opportunity that the suppliers use to allow you to get more kit in your van.

This irritates the life out of me on our olly.

I have been through the same issue with the dealer & Bailey, neither careless, along the lines of "your money is now sitting in our bank accounts, so jog on".

The initial Olly we looked at ( 2nd hand with the upgrade upholstery ) was one of the first production run, so had window stays fitted on both sides of the outer windows, but for the same money we could have a new van, with standard upholstery, so we went for new.

We didn't notice on the pdi, but after getting the caravan home contacted the dealer, who basicially said, nothing to do with us take it up with Bailey. After a few back & fore emails we had quite a blunt email from Ian Turner who said that due to production, commercial & technical reasons the outer stay had been removed & that the replacements was for the only handed catch available.

We have spoken to Stowford, during a recent trip & they agreed that it does spoil the look of the front of the van & that we could buy the stays from miriad & have them fitted, again at a cost, so we are considering this, but you need to look into having this fitted, as it may invalidate any remaining warranty.

It simply comes down to penny pinching, they reckon 5,000 alu tech have been made & have saved around £25 on each one, so a big saving for Bailey.

It's just another case of dealers & maunfaturers hoping people won't notice or care.

If the upside down catch is your only "problem", then i think i would be cheering from the roof tops. :unsure:

If the upside down catch is your only "problem", then i think i would be cheering from the roof tops. :unsure:

Are there other things I should be on the look out for? I'm guessing that you have had a few moments with the unicorn then.

This week we have been fobbed off with holes in the rear blinds "yeah, they go like that, just get used to it"

This week we have been fobbed off with holes in the rear blinds "yeah, they go like that, just get used to it"

And your reply should be "yeah, they go like that, just get it replaced"

Are there other things I should be on the look out for? I'm guessing that you have had a few moments with the unicorn then.

Today the dealer sent a very nice chap along to replace two wardrobe doors,( warped for the second time,) unfortunately the replacements were both damaged in transit.

So two more ordered.

A tiny hole has now appeared in the solid blind over the bed, noticed last week on holiday, so replacement ordered.

Also last week the kitchen swivel tap started making a horrible squeaking noises again, and turning on its base!, plus it drips when turned off.

This tap has also been replaced once already.

So a working upside down catch is the last thing to be concerned about, don't you think?

If you do a search quite a few have had "holed" window blinds replaced.

Edited by xtrailman

Right, I think you win!

Christ, how do you keep yourself from killing someone?

Could you not just seek legal recourse & claim that the van isn't fit for purpose?

We are new to caravaning & I have to say that it does seem a pretty hopeless cause when dealing with either the manufacture or the dealer we bought from. they just don't seem to care. With other hobbies that I have or had the customer service was always very good, the dealers wanted repeat buisness & were very good at customer relationships, but this buisness just seems rubbish! It must be that there is so much to be made & people queing up to buy from them they haven't got to bother.

So tomorrow, I will kiss my wrong 'un window catch & thank my luck stars!

I keep my caravan for about 7 years, but spend the first two usually getting the caravan faults sorted.

And after the first two years i count myself lucky if i come back from Holiday without a couple of "jobs" to carry out in the caravan.

Unfortunately its the junk fitted to all European caravans that tends to fail, so theres not much you can do, other than don't caravan.

With my last caravan the Dometic fridge 240 volt element failed 3 times, when you consider i only tour a maximum of 7 weeks a year,

7x7=49, so effectively the fridge has broken down 3 times during one years use.

And i think there German made?

If the Japanese had ever started to make caravans, the caravan industry would have gone the same place as the British car industry.

Maybe the Chinese or Koreans will start producing some?

I doubt anything produced in China will ever be met with open arms. Most of the products I have purchased that have Chinese origins are dire. Their quality control is very poor indeed. The only thing I own that has "Made in China" and of good quality is a Olympus camera. Most other things, particularly furniture has had to be returned as unacceptable.

Japanese and Korean would most likely meet good quality control standards.

I doubt anything produced in China will ever be met with open arms. Most of the products I have purchased that have Chinese origins are dire. Their quality control is very poor indeed. The only thing I own that has "Made in China" and of good quality is a Olympus camera. Most other things, particularly furniture has had to be returned as unacceptable.

Japanese and Korean would most likely meet good quality control standards.

Thats strange as the acer laptop i am using, and the one before i still have are made in china, Say's so on the base.

Looks good quality and works. I think you will find that a lot of products are made in china and to a good standard.

I was not talking about branded products that are made to exacting standards such as Acer, Olympus etc. I meant things like furniture that the likes of Argos buy in, after rejecting British made quality manufactured items a few years ago.

I also have had 2 Acer laptops which I can not fault. I would imagine Acer has very strict quality control for anything that is to carry their name?

I was not talking about branded products that are made to exacting standards such as Acer, Olympus etc. I meant things like furniture that the likes of Argos buy in, after rejecting British made quality manufactured items a few years ago.

I also have had 2 Acer laptops which I can not fault. I would imagine Acer has very strict quality control for anything that is to carry their name?

Fair enough, but the main problems arnt with the furniture, but with the fitted appliances.

I doubt anything produced in China will ever be met with open arms. ..

People said the same thing about Japan in the 1950s.

The boot will soon be on the other foot. China now owns must of the USA debt. They've not so far considered Europe a terribly good investment.

Did you query the window catches before you bought your a caravan ? The information about window catches fitted to certain Bailey models has been in the public domain for at least one year.

No I didn't query the anomoly. Had I have spotted the problem I would have insisted that the problem was resolved by fitting the update. If the dealer had refused to do this then they would not have had a sale. Too late after the event.