13 Pin To 12S &12N

damaba

Just changed tow car to Volvo XC70 on a 60 plate. Had the new Witter flanged detachable with dedicated wiring and 13 pin socket. Also converter lead to suit 12N/12S on my 08 Swift Challenger. I am told by the fitter and supplier that this combination does not give fridge or charger feed from car to van as the new 13 pin vans have the circuits and relays to do this as part of the van electrics. They have fitted a dedicated feed from the car through relay to 12s to give me a charger feed. Is this correct ? Needed the dedicated wiring to keep warrantee intact. Seems a bit off that the converter etc does not cater for this. Have read a similar problem about a factory fitted Ford Focus.

Firstly, there is no difference to caravan wiring with the advent of 13pin. There are still 12 wires, same as the 12N/12S sytem, and they still do the same function.

Most car manufactures basic dedicated wiring harness do not include for battery or fridge charging so a supplementary harness is often required.

If your 13pin socket on your car is fully wired, then the use of an adaptor lead will work without any further addons.

However, you may tire of using an adaptor lead due to the extra cables involved and strapping them up to stop them trailing on the ground, so the long term solution is to fit a 13 pin plug on your caravan. No change in wiring is involved, its just a matter of disconnecting from the old plugs and connecting the new. I believe there are some 13pins on the market designed to take two input cables or alternatively you could fit a terminal block in a convenient location and run some 13 core cable to a 13 pin plug.

Brian

I swapped both 12n & 12S plug and sockets to13 pin on my 2002 Amara and car and had no problems with any electrics in doing so, then I PX'd the Amara for a 2010 model and have had no problems with the new van, I originally did this because of centre pin melt down on 12S plug, never looked back

I am on my second 12s socket, they melt, the fit and

construction deteriorates causing arcing and heat,

what a botched job to keep up with caravan technology

Fit a 13 pin socket along with the beefed up 12v fridge

Supply and Earth return, never look back :)

Hi Our van has the 12n & 12s and our car has the 13 pin we have had no problems at all, the fridge and charging systems work fine. I feel the the bloke is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I like to be polite over this

There have been a couple of examples referred to on this site where the fridge feed has been left out on both the 13 pin and 12S sockets. This seems to be more common in manufacturer supplied wiring looms.

This is most likely because the fridge feed has to be switched in sutch a way that the circuit is only live when the engine is actually running, not just if the ignition is turned on.

As has been said there is a specific pin in the 13 pin socket which matches the fridge feed in the 12S so there should have been no need to bypass the 13 pin, the work involved in adding the extra feed to the 13 pin is exactly the same as he has done so it is a bit odd the solution chosen.

Personally I prefer the 12N/12S type but that is just me, many of the problems reported with this type would be prevented is the plugs being sold were not so badly made. If you opt for switching to 13 pin on the van I would agree that the most reliable solution would be to pull the existing leads back into the van and a new lead and plug connected to a junction block in there. Having two leads in the back of the plug is very difficult to completely seal. The wiring should not be in the gas locker.

Archived