Floe Drain System

I have recently seen an ad in Practical Caravan magazine for the Floe Drain System which claims that it will completely drain out all the water that gets left in a caravan water system when just the drain tap is used.

This has to be good when storing for the winter as it will prevent damage to pipes when the temperature drops very low as with last winter.

The tester claims that it drained out approximately 2 pints of water and left the caravam water system completely drained.

Has any forum member also seen this ad or has any member brought one of these Floe Drain units and does it performs as the claims made about the unit.

I bought one and it does what it says on the pack!

I'd say I got a pint and a half out of the system. ...

J

I have recently seen an ad in Practical Caravan magazine for the Floe Drain System which claims that it will completely drain out all the water that gets left in a caravan water system when just the drain tap is used.

This has to be good when storing for the winter as it will prevent damage to pipes when the temperature drops very low as with last winter.

The tester claims that it drained out approximately 2 pints of water and left the caravam water system completely drained.

Has any forum member also seen this ad or has any member brought one of these Floe Drain units and does it performs as the claims made about the unit.

I use a wet and dry vacuum to suck out any water. It cost me £40, and I use it for clearing drains - gutters etc - oh - and it also can be used as a vacuum. :P

I sucked just over a litre out of my van system the last time I used it too.

Costs the same as a Floe but does more.

The Commander Dave has pointed you in the right direction I see.

Regards

BO

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

The floe was great for me as I have a 12v tyre pump and no access to 240v at my place of storage.

J

Hi,

We bought one in the week. ...a bit like u, rather sceptical about the claims. Used it for the first time yesterday and must have got about 3-4 pints of water out. Amazing. We thought we had drained the system completely, and we travelled home from our last holiday with the valves open. ..so I would highly recommend it.

Does it do better than blowing down the shower hose ? :D

Yep, the key question for me too!

I ordered one of these which came today, previously I have always drained the system down before leaving site and have left the taps open and waste pipe caps off to drain as we drive home( last trip 120 miles home). For winter I have used the blowing into the taps / shower hose which I did about 2 weeks ago (and even used the vax to suck out any residue before). I thought I would give this a try as looking at it it's easy to use (easier than getting the vax out and getting a seal)

Well after emailing Jason at keepfloeing you can extend the pipe so you can do everything from inside the van. I used a 12v digital tyre pump and pressured the system first off and got 2 1/4 pints from the kitchen sink and then moving to the bathroom / shower I got another 3/4 pint from them so yes it does work but you do need to pressurise the system several times. In my opinion well worth the £'s cheaper than replacement taps and pumps and I have no connection to keepfloeing in any way.

I remove the pipes from the pump today and no water came out so blowing down the shower tube and running the pump when draining seem good enough to me B)

I remove the pipes from the pump today and no water came out so blowing down the shower tube and running the pump when draining seem good enough to me B)

That's what I have done every drain down time except for disconnecting the pump so you must have a lot more puff than me :P

That's what I have done every drain down time except for disconnecting the pump so you must have a lot more puff than me :P

I doubt it(more puff that is!)

I only removed the pump pipes to see if there was any water left in the pump and none came out !!

Hi I Bought one for my Crusader Cyclone after a winter Holiday that even after doing a full Eldis drain down I still ended up with a cracked bathroom tap due to water freezing in it! (taps left open).

So I bought the Floe and at £40. 00 it does seem a lot, but when I did a test drain as before then used te Floe I was still able to get another 1. 75 Ltrs out of my pipes.

So it does work only another winter break due this november will show if all is well when I drain down the Van for winter storge outside in a secure site.

Hope this helps you make your mind up?

Regards Zane

Im waiting for the postman to bring mine. Great idea. Im sold on it.

Seems straight forward:

Close drain valve and all taps.

Using a electric tyre pump pump. Pressurise system to 15psi NO MORE

Open hot tap, repressurise, open cold tap, repressurise, and so on.

Final repressurise and open drain valve on hot water tank

Job done :)

Edited by Scaramanga

got mine. Last outing in Lincolnshire & i did a drain down on site & then left taps & drain val open & drove home (3 hr drive). Job sorted me thinks, but still i brought the floe & took another 3/4 of a pint out of the system, now i'm impressed :o . so now i have lent it to my next door neighbour & he's doing his next week.

got mine. Last outing in Lincolnshire & i did a drain down on site & then left taps & drain val open & drove home (3 hr drive). Job sorted me thinks, but still i brought the floe & took another 3/4 of a pint out of the system, now i'm impressed :o . so now i have lent it to my next door neighbour & he's doing his next week.

Same here he watched me using it and was going to buy one so I lent him mine to use can't see the need for 2 within 100 mts ;)

Same here he watched me using it and was going to buy one so I lent him mine to use can't see the need for 2 within 100 mts ;)

dave - if i had known you were willing to lend yours out (although i may be a little more, but not much, than 100 mtrs away from you), i wouldn't be sitting here waiting for mine to arrive in the post :D :D

dave - if i had known you were willing to lend yours out (although i may be a little more, but not much, than 100 mtrs away from you), i wouldn't be sitting here waiting for mine to arrive in the post :D :D

You're giving me ideas now there's a storage compound (not going to say where on line though) just up the road from us maybe I can hire it out there for £5 a time :rolleyes:

Don't see the point in spending £45 plus the expense of a compressor to clear out a few drops of water. We open all our taps and then drain down leaving the taps open while travelling back to storage compound. The water runs out naturally. Filter is removed and flush tank also emptied. We have being doing this ever since we started caravanning.

I doubt if a cup full of water in your boiler is going to make any difference as it is insulated anyway. A few drops of water in the pipework will not harm the pipework even if the water droplets freezes.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Don't see the point in spending £45 plus the expense of a compressor to clear out a few drops of water. We open all our taps and then drain down leaving the taps open while travelling back to storage compound. The water runs out naturally. Filter is removed and flush tank also emptied. We have being doing this ever since we started caravanning.

I doubt if a cup full of water in your boiler is going to make any difference as it is insulated anyway. A few drops of water in the pipework will not harm the pipework even if the water droplets freezes.

My thoughts too

I always blow down the shower hose as well

After my friend had to replace the pump through frost damage last year I checked my pump after draining by removing the push fit pipe fittings and no water came out

I always leave the taps open so no danger of frost damage to them

By the way am I alone in thinking that Swift now have no pump running warning light ?

As we use the van throughout the year we don't "drain it down for the winter". But we do drain it down completely when we are moving off the pitch and returning home it there is any prospect of frost. I have already used the Floe a number of times this autumn and expect to use it many more times before the warmer weather returns. I always have travelled with a 12v compressor to adjust the pressure on the tow car tyres. So for our type of van use the cost is a good investment.

On the one occasion that I didn't use the Floe until I returned home I was amazed how much water was blown out of the system despite having travelled 80 miles with the drain valves and the taps left open.

GordonW

Anybody know if you can make your own using the Truma waterline with the hose type tap connector removed and a jubliee clip to keep the 12v tyre pump in?

| would love to hear your thoughts.

I looked at the UTube demo and thought nice idea but way too expensive "for what it was".

I used my 12v tyre compressor with the "airbed" attachment on the end. Unscrewed the filter off the end of my Whale water inlet (the one that goes into the Aquaroll) and pushed the airbed attachment into the end of the tube.

Closed all the taps and Truma yellow drain cock. Switched on the compressor for a minute or so - and then opened the kitchen tap and water blew out. Did the same procedure for the bathroom and shower outlets and finally the just the Turma yellow drain cock.

Works a treat and I had already tried the blowing down the shower tube after removing the head!

The pressure cannot build up too much because the airbed attachment will just pop out of the push fit tube end.

I suppose I could now make a movie and put it on UTube and charge £20 at time for the "Secret Solution" :lol:

Anybody know if you can make your own using the Truma waterline with the hose type tap connector removed and a jubliee clip to keep the 12v tyre pump in?

| would love to hear your thoughts.

I don't think that it would be too difficult to make a rubber snap-in tubeless tyre valve fit the hose type tap connector on a Truma waterline. Then you can attach your compressor to the valve and that will maintain positive air pressure to empty the water through the taps and drain. But remember to use a compressor that cuts out when the pressure reaches 1bar.

GordonW

If you use an onboard tank exclusively for your water supply dare I say it would blowing down the shower tube suffice albeit with a compressor tyre pump set at less than 1 bar

Blowing into the filler would just blow air into the tank in that situation

I may try it and see :D