Anyone Get A Good Caravan Deal At The Nec Show?

glreeves

I'm curious to know if any good caravan deals can be had at the Caravan show compared to buying from a local dealer, and so did anyone buy at last week's show and get a good % discount? Thanks.

Not quite an answer to your question, but we were offered a trade in price which was the same as we had paid for the van at a local dealership 12 months ago. That was without any haggling at all so I don't know what we could have pushed for. Weren't in the market for a van and didn't pursue the offer

Noticed around £2. 5K off some swifts at Lowdowns yesterday, also stickers saying something about show offers available.

As with MW3230 we got offered £5. 5K for 11 year old Elddis (which is what we paid 18 months ago) in exchange for a new Lunar 556. .......I think the book is about 2. 5-2. 8K so we believe we got a healthy discount. On top of that we got the hitchlock, mains water kit, replating to higher weight (although it would only go 10kg more) and 2 nights away when we pick it up. ...we couldn't haggle to get the wheel lock thrown in but got a 20% discount on this (at an agreed price) if we decide to buy it. I have to admit they weren't the only dealer prepared to offer the exchange price either so I guess the market is tight.

Slightly off-topic, but as a newbie caravanner I was a little surprised at the show that the sparkly new caravans were nigh-on identical in layout and design to our 11 year old one, just with more shiny bits, chrome handles and flashier lights. Not sure what I was expecting but the designs don't seem to move on much?

Had about £500 knocked off when they included an external gas point (£150), optional chest of drawers(£100 should have been £300) and moving the mover from our current van(£150). They have also offered us an allowance on the hitchlock in connection with the Winterhoff we already have.

So, who is now looking at a new caravan post-NEC, thinking about the 3. 5% price hike (LUNAR), and being put off buying? Are there any "Post-NEC" deals available on 2012 Lunar Delta TIs? :) . Thought the pre-NEC deal (£13k+ to change) against my lovely 2007 Fleetwood Heritage wasn't really a business winning deal. .. or am I deluding myself?? :blink:

Had about £500 knocked off when they included an external gas point (£150), optional chest of drawers(£100 should have been £300) and moving the mover from our current van(£150). They have also offered us an allowance on the hitchlock in connection with the Winterhoff we already have.

We had a similar deal. Traded in our 4 1/2 year old Abbey Freestyle 2 berth end bath van in against a Bailey Olympus 534. The initial deal was £6990 to swap. Which was OK. .. But we wanted the center chest, gas BBQ point and an Alarm. The Alko Lozenge would have needed to be bought so when the sales man came back with an offer of £7000 and ALL of the above included we did the deal. That was not at the show. .. We were looking at buying from the show originally as that was where we got our first van from and got an amazing deal on the last day at almost 5pm as the salesman wanted to get that one last sale.

I think the best show for deals is the outdoor show in February. The new models have been out and the initial burst of sales took place at the show we have just had. There were some OK deals but very similar to the ones some dealers have on at the moment like Lowdhams

do at the moment. It is a gamble waiting until February but it was one that paid off for us with our first van and again when I did some checking earlier this year too. .

Go to the outdoor show and I think the best deals will be had there.

I'm curious to know if any good caravan deals can be had at the Caravan show compared to buying from a local dealer, and so did anyone buy at last week's show and get a good % discount? Thanks.
In the past, yes, some very good deals. Unfortunately I can't comment on this year's options, as I was not "in the market" so didn't ask for any quotations.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

How does the px work when they haven't seen your caravan? I just wondered If they could try and squeeze a few more pounds out off you at a later date.

Hi

Thats what happened to me, picked a local dealer and got what I thought was a good deal.

Wrong local dealer was from another branch some 50 miles away, and on looking at our trade-in dropped the price by £500

Terry.

Hi Thats what happened to me, picked a local dealer and got what I thought was a good deal. Wrong local dealer was from another branch some 50 miles away, and on looking at our trade-in dropped the price by £500 Terry.

The deal is only on if the PX price is agreed. Can work the other way if your van is better than they thought!

Slightly off-topic, but as a newbie caravanner I was a little surprised at the show that the sparkly new caravans were nigh-on identical in layout and design to our 11 year old one, just with more shiny bits, chrome handles and flashier lights. Not sure what I was expecting but the designs don't seem to move on much?

How true those words are.

Hi

Thats what happened to me, picked a local dealer and got what I thought was a good deal.

Wrong local dealer was from another branch some 50 miles away, and on looking at our trade-in dropped the price by £500

Terry.

The deal is only on if the PX price is agreed. Can work the other way if your van is better than they thought!

So if they do offer you £500 less can you walk away and leave them holding your new caravan?

(unless you have both signed an agreement)

I find it hard to belive they will give you more than the agreed price, not very good salesmen if their giving more away than they need too.

They will not give you more. ... They give you a price based on the condition you tell them it is in. ... If you take the p1ss then they will offer you less. . If they think you really did try and say it was so much better than it really is they could actually offer you less than if you were up front about the condition. ... It is called an idiot Tax. ...

But those very same dealers who offer you good discounts don't tell you that your local dealer won't service the van because it came from elsewhere. Mind your local dealer will be on another stand offering discounts to people from the other end of the country and not telling them either.

Hypocrisy comes to mind.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

But those very same dealers who offer you good discounts don't tell you that your local dealer won't service the van because it came from elsewhere.

According to Swift your under no obligation to have your service done at the same dealer that you purchased from.

"You can use any NCC or Swift Approved workshop to undertake a service. However, warranty work must be undertaken by a Swift Group Dealer"

Dont know about other groups.

But those very same dealers who offer you good discounts don't tell you that your local dealer won't service the van because it came from elsewhere. Mind your local dealer will be on another stand offering discounts to people from the other end of the country and not telling them either. Hypocrisy comes to mind.

Solution:-You don't go to a dealer that isn't local.

A good deal is one in which the figures suit both the buyer and the seller.

Added into the equation is the issue of where to get servicing and warranty work carried out and it's not very practical to be obliged to trail around the countryside every time work is required. HOWEVER, I am sure that most dealers would welcome the work regardless of where the caravan was bought. Additionally, there are many top quality mobile engineers who are approved to carry out servicing.

Judging from some of the reports on this thread and my own limited experience detailed above, I will certainly consider buying at the show when I am looking to change my van

Don't get me wrong I abhor the way that some local dealers refuse to service or carry out warranty work on vans they haven't sold, but it happens, even some of the biggest dealers do it and on Swift Group and other vans.

One dealer I'm thinking of in particular are the most avid attenders at Exhibitions, offering deals to people from Penzance to Portmahonack but if those people can't get service from their local dealer they've got a helluva trek to get their warranty work done and that never gets said during the sale.

What these dealers who refuse to work on vans they haven't sold don't seem to understand is that far from forcing a punter to buy from them next time, it punishes someone who probably didn't realise there would be a problem and alienates a potential customer probably ensuring they'll buy from anyone else next time and never ever use the 'refusing' dealer in future.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Archived