S-Max 1.8 Tdci?

stu22

Been looking at purchasing an S-Max and have seen a few that have the 1. 8 TDCi engine fiited.

Anyone have any experience of this combination? Sounds like it will be a bit of a slug solo let alone when towing a caravan with a MTPLM of 1475kg.

Guessing I will be far better off with the 2. 0 TDCi even though the BHP is not a huge amount higher but assume torque figure will be far better?

I am pulling 1185 MTPLM with a 2. 2 TD and it pulls like a dream.

I can't see 1. 8 TD being much of a tug.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

You would be towing at top of the towing limit with a caravan of 1475 kgs and the car has a limit of 1450 kgs with the S-Max 1. 8 TDCi. So you would have to keep an eye on the MTW for the outfit .

The 2. 0 TDCi has a 1750 kgs tow limit so it would give a better margin of error when loading and more power .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Found a nice 163bhp TDCi S-Max, also test drove a 140bhp TDCi too.

The 163 is far better than the 140 but really noticed the difference once back in my ST - my ST makes the power far lower down the rev range whereas the S-Max seems to need to be reved harder. Going to see another 2 today, so fingers crossed I can get a reasonable deal. ....