Removing Wheels For Winter Storage

springtime

If I remove the caravan wheels for winter storage to be stored inside my garage, should I deflate the tyres or leave them inflated?

They are currently inflated to 54psi.

Edited by springtime

I do the same. Over the winter they will gradually lose a little pressure and I reflate them before re-installing them in spring. While thye are off and easy to handle, it is a good idea to check the walls for any signs of cracking and the treads just in case you have [icked up soemthing you shouldn't. As mine are alloy wheels I also give them a wash and polish, as it is easy to clean the rears when off the van.

The pressure will decrease a few pounds due to cold weather . Leave them in the garage out of the frost and turn them every two months 180 degrees and should be stacked and not left upright .

I will find my car TPMS will start showing alarms soon as the weather turns cold and the pressures drops a few pounds .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Can I ask why to leave them inflated?

I'm planning on gettng a set of axle stands and putting mine up this winter. I was going to deflate the tyres to relieve the pressure on the walls, as well as storing them out of sunlight.

Edited by FatherTed

Heddo Ted,

Tyre manufaturers advise no lower than 15 PSI. The rubber will rest and possibly crack on re infation.

See below for tyre facts

http://www. apa. ca/ti. ..ningTireFAQ. asp

OR

If removing the wheels for the winter

Follow these few rules and your tyres will remain in perfect condition throughout their service life.

• If your tyres are stored mounted on wheels, keep them inflated to a pressure of 15 PSI (1 bar).
  • Ideally, do not store them in an upright position, but stack them laying flat on their side. If this is impossible, leave them upright and rotate them about once a month to prevent the formation of a flat spot.
  • Protect them with plastic bags thick or dark enough to protect the tyres from ambient light.
  • Avoid extreme temperatures and humidity. Above all, refrain from storing them outside, where they will likely be subjected to temperature swings and high humidity.
  • Do not leave them on a moist or greasy floor; isolate them with a wooden plank.
  • Keep them at least two meters away from electric motors and radiators. These devices generate ozone which oxidizes tyre rubber and deteriorates the tyres.

BO

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

Store them in a cool dark and well ventilated place and ideally stood on a pallet or similar.

And whilst you have them removed it is so very easy to go and get them balanced!

If you haven't had them balanced already you will be amazed at the difference it makes.

In a nutshell, leave them inflated and away from the sun.

BO

BO

Where can I find a nutshell big enough to accommodate three caravan wheels ? :rolleyes:

DeeTee

All

Thanks for the tips, the tyres were fitted new & balanced in July so hopefully should be ok.

BO

Where can I find a nutshell big enough to accommodate three caravan wheels ? :rolleyes:

DeeTee

At a Shell garage - where else :D

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

BO

Thanks for that. Another top tip from you. :D

DeeTee

You are welcome - I do like to help those who have problems. :D

If I remove the caravan wheels for winter storage to be stored inside my garage, should I deflate the tyres or leave them inflated?

They are currently inflated to 54psi.

I leave them inflated, put a piece of old carpet on the floor and lay one on each other, but with a piece of carpet in between, the spare goes to the bottom.

Never had a problem doing this.

I was going to take my wheels off through winter a few years ago but was told the insurance wouldn't be valid as there's no wheel lock fitted.

Yes I know if they've no wheels, so it's harder to take the the van, but was told technically a wheel lock is part of the security requirement, so it mus be fitted.

So it might be better to put the van on axle stands and cover the tyres than?

I was going to take my wheels off through winter a few years ago but was told the insurance wouldn't be valid as there's no wheel lock fitted.

Yes I know if they've no wheels, so it's harder to take the the van, but was told technically a wheel lock is part of the security requirement, so it mus be fitted.

Just goes to show how 'B' stupid some insurance companies are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you I know someone who had some 1/4" steel plate cut to shape and drilled so that when he had his wheels removed he bolted these funny shaped items into place and sent the pic along to his insurance company and they were then willing to give him cover.

Just to sidetrack just a shade, can anyone advise, or guess what is the maximum lifespan of an average caravan tyre? I know we are all recommended to change them every 5 years, and I do, but what about the spare? Mine is coming up for 5 years but has never ever been on a wheel, is stored in a dark locker all the time and I check it regularly for cracking, of which there are no signs. If I ever do use it, it will be to get me to a site and allow me to get the normal wheel tyre replaced.

Sorry if any misunderstanding. The spare tyres is on a whweel but has never rolled in anger.

Michelin guide

How old is too old? The five year test

After five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year. If the need arises, follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator

And

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

Incidentaly our aircraft tyres were inflated to the rated pressure to seat the beads then if not being used reduced to 1/3rd pressure to maintain the profile in storage. We were always told to to slightly over inflate then reduce the pressure to the required level using the release valve in the inflator.