10Yr Warranty ?

CommanderDave

I was just wondering has anyone seen the T&C for the 10 yr water ingress warranty from the caravan manufacturers ? Only they talk about 10 yrs on their websites and not the hidden details .

When I have had a manufacturers warranty of 6 yrs it was based on a percentage sliding scale each year for how much of the cost of repair they would pay .

Dave

i looked at a new bailey last weekend and it stated (10 year warranty) it was a 6 year warranty plus 4 year extended warranty "free", so theres a 6 year warranty with a free 4 year extended warranty thrown in. ... why not just give and say a 10 year warranty ???? or is there something in the 6 plus 4 offer in small print ?... or am i just cynical,

It's conditional on having had the 'van serviced every year at your dealers, that way they keep the dealer sweet, Sorry for the cynicism. :( Peter.

If caravan producers started offering full 10 year water ingress warranties - alutech excluded - then most manufacturers would go bust quite quickly.

I think it's only the first owner that has the benefit of the 10 yr. warranty. If it's sold within the first 6 yrs. the warranty only lasts for 6.

If caravan producers started offering full 10 year water ingress warranties - alutech excluded - then most manufacturers would go bust quite quickly.

I believe only Lunar, of the larger manufacturers, is NOT offering a 10 year warranty?

Regards

vectra

Vanmaster are offering a lifetime water ingress warranty subject to annual servicing at VM and a reseal every six years at a cost of £1500.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Vanmaster are offering a lifetime water ingress warranty

Ian

I've always wondered what is a lifetime? Is it til I die, or the wife dies, or the manufacturer's CEO dies, or the caravan dies. In the latter case what is the expected life of a caravan? One sees very old vans in excellent nick, and reasonably new ones a mess.

If I remember right as my service record is in the van in storage and its quoted in there that the first 3 yrs the manufacturer payed 100 % but yrs 4, 5, 6 it dropped to 60% - 50 %- 40% on a sliding scale each year as to how much they would pay. Not sure of the correct figures as mine only need water ingress warranty work in its 2 nd and 3 rd yr .

So I was wondering if the figures dropped still further could the 7- 8 th and 9th years would we be talking 10 - 5% they wiil pay of the repair ?

Dave

I believe only Lunar, of the larger manufacturers, is NOT offering a 10 year warranty?

Regards

vectra

I used the word "Full" quite specifically.

I think we need to be careful in our interpretation of these 10 year warranties and we don't get hoodwinked in to thinking the whole cost of water ingress repair is covered for the full ten years. The reality is a high percentage, if not most, caravans develop some damp issues within ten years as the construction design is fundamentally flawed.

The danger would be also be that up front prices increase to factor in down stream repairs. So we gain nothing in the longer term.

It is interesting to see Kia car prices looking more expensive since their introduction of their 7 year warranty as an example to ponder.

Archived