Some Caravanners Won't Wait

Barry the Wing

Just back from four nights at Riverside Caravan Park in Betws Y Coed, North Wales a very nice and well run site. When we were Packing up Today to catch the ferry back to Ireland we got everything ready to hitch up and I reversed my car back to the tow hitch at the same time as another caravanner two pitches down from me. As I had secured the caravan to the car I noticed a car and caravan appeared from the bottom of the site towards us. At this stage the site roadway was blocked by two cars trying to set off once everything was correct and checked. The next thing the outfit which had come from the bottom of the site mounted the grass and crossed over several other peoples pitches causing some damage to the grass.

I was surprised to see even our fellow caravanners treat their own like this, what is the world coming too. :( :( :(

Barry.

Probably wanted to get home to watch F1 on the TV.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

everyone is in such a hurry, I've no idea why. ..same reason, I daresay as the outfits I see speeding past me on the motorway when I'm in lane one doing 60mph. ..seems to be a general impatience these days and lack of basic manners with some. Oh well, just be thankful your not like that, it's heart attack territory!

Seen this all too often. Then there's the group who hitch up then drive with unit to as close to the elsan point as possible and block the exit for others as they are simply too lazy to walk.

" I was surprised to see even our fellow caravaners treat there own like this, what is the world coming to ", Doesn't surprise me in the least Barry when you read some of the comments you get from our so called "Fellow Caravaners " on our Forum. In general I find most people on Sites are a friendly considerate bunch but spoiled by the ME ! ME ! Minority that burdens all walks of life. ........ :angry:

Grumpy Auld Smeesh . ........ :angry: :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . ....Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport . ......

We were at C C site at Blackpool recently and an outfit arrived and to site on the pitch the driver turned sharp right across the camber of the tarmac road and crossed the grass and onto the pitch across the road from his destination to line up for a reverse in

The grass was wet and churned up and there was a loud grating sound as he crossed the road when his van chassis grounded on the crest followed by the same sound when he reversed back onto his pitch

He didn't look under his newish van to see if there was any damage nor did he bother about the 2 deep grooves cut in the tarmac road surface :huh:

Just back from four nights at Riverside Caravan Park in Betws Y Coed, North Wales a very nice and well run site. When we were Packing up Today to catch the ferry back to Ireland we got everything ready to hitch up and I reversed my car back to the tow hitch at the same time as another caravanner two pitches down from me. As I had secured the caravan to the car I noticed a car and caravan appeared from the bottom of the site towards us. At this stage the site roadway was blocked by two cars trying to set off once everything was correct and checked. The next thing the outfit which had come from the bottom of the site mounted the grass and crossed over several other peoples pitches causing some damage to the grass.

I was surprised to see even our fellow caravanners treat their own like this, what is the world coming too. :( :( :(

Barry.

While not condoning what he id, especially if some damage was caused to the grass, there could be a very good reason for him needing to be off site as quickly as possible. I've been in that situation a few times and on some occasions I have seen the guys who are hitching up get agitated and flustered, with the result that at least one drove off with his breakaway cable dangling. On other occasions the guys packing up have fiddled and far*ed around so much that I was becoming pretty impatient with them.

Me? When I'm hitching up in a situation where I might block the road, I will manually turn my caravan diagonally on my pitch to minimise the amount of road I'm blocking. This usually leaves enough room for other outfits to get past ( although I appreciate that may not always be the case).

Have you also noticed that he who can't wait and beats you out of the site, then stops his outfit just the otherside of the barrier so no one else can get out and then either he or his other half saunters over to reception to hand in his barrier key and have a chat all whilst there is a queue building up of those who were hitching up. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

While not condoning what he id, especially if some damage was caused to the grass, there could be a very good reason for him needing to be off site as quickly as possible. I've been in that situation a few times and on some occasions I have seen the guys who are hitching up get agitated and flustered, with the result that at least one drove off with his breakaway cable dangling. On other occasions the guys packing up have fiddled and far*ed around so much that I was becoming pretty impatient with them.

Me? When I'm hitching up in a situation where I might block the road, I will manually turn my caravan diagonally on my pitch to minimise the amount of road I'm blocking. This usually leaves enough room for other outfits to get past ( although I appreciate that may not always be the case).

Hi Livi,

While I understand your point and a very valid one it is, if one was in a hurry I would suggest getting out of the towcar and having a quite word with the other caravanners concerned as 99% of people are very understanding and if I can help anybody out I will. It was the total lack of manners I object too.

Barry.

Hi,

Depends on what sort of car is being used !

david 1220

Hi,

Depends on what sort of car is being used !

david 1220

That's why I got a 4x4 :) lol

Only Joking.

I always saw caravanning as a means of slowing down (well, not that slow you cause a 5 mile tailback behind you), and chilling out. ...... it appears I may have been wrong in this assumption.

Archived