Calor Gas. Butane & Propane

tim

Hi All

We are still useing butane gas, but will have to change to propane soon for the winter.

My question is, when is butane un-useable, is it when the temperature hits 0 degrees, or colder, or warmer

Many Thanks

Tim

Butane can stop effectively gassing off at anything below about 10ºC depending upon the flow demand. Yes, it will work at lower temperatures, but not if you want to a reasonable gas flow. I used to swap between butane and propane twice a year, but mainly because of the hassle of the change, I eventually stuck to propane all year round. That was almost thirty years ago, and I've not used butane in a caravan since.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Same as Gordon, propane all year round here.

A bit more info here if you want some of the technical stuff.

Butane & propane

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I can't think of any reason at all to use Butane, let alone keep swapping between both gases. Can anyone offer a good reason?

Prices are approximately the same, I doubt you would notice longer burn times from butane, probably less as you just can't get the stuff out in colder weather (<10deg C) and end up exchanging the bottle with some left behind. .

I tried it for our patio heater for a while - BIG mistake!

Edited by limecc

Butane is probably used more by people with the Mobile gas heater in the house as an extra form of heating during winter periods.

Statics use the very large propanes all year round. Mobile, it is best to stay on propane using 6kg up to 13kg size

A 13kg propane needs to be in the locker or chained to the a-frame to prevent tipping over.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Why would anyone who camps in the cold seasons bother to use Butane for the short warm season ? Agree with limecc . There is little or no cost advantage and I believe the efficiency of Butane is not as good as Propane at any time of the year . Kettles appear to boil faster with Propane .

Hi All

Thanks for replies and links.

I always used to use propane all the year round, but was trying to cut cost, hence this summer switched to butate.

We are away this weekend, so will chance it with butane still, but will change back to propane after that.

Thanks Again,

Tim

I have just had a manual changeover valve fitted by my engineer I run a 7 kg butane and a small 3. 9 kg propane mostly because of noseweight

Hi All

Thanks for replies and links.

I always used to use propane all the year round, but was trying to cut cost, hence this summer switched to butate.

We are away this weekend, so will chance it with butane still, but will change back to propane after that.

Thanks Again,

Tim

I would take the propane with you just in case.

22 years ago I left my propane behind and could not get the gas lit in April! White Frost on the ground in the early morning.

If it stays above 8 deg C you may get a morning cuppa. Take a flask. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lefthand Down

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I would take the propane with you just in case.

22 years ago I left my propane behind and could not get the gas lit in April! White Frost on the ground in the early morning.

Getting me worried now folks. Only been away this late in the year once before and it was milder. Only got butane, so I hope it works this weekend!

Getting me worried now folks. Only been away this late in the year once before and it was milder. Only got butane, so I hope it works this weekend!

http://www. xcweather. ..forecast/Wirral Check morning temperature here

http://www. xcweather. co. uk/forecast/East_Midlands_ Click advanced view

I am taking propane!

Edited by Lefthand Down

Doesn't look too bad. ...if I'm lucky!

Only a minimum of 3 degrees over night.

Looks like I'll be sleeping with my gas bottle if I'm not!

• 2 weeks later...

Our van is in storage we use calor gas and sometimes flogas are they propane or butane. ?

We are also thinking of a light weight refilable bottle does anyone have any knowlege of cost and winter use etc please. ?

Our van is in storage we use calor gas and sometimes flogas are they propane or butane. ?

We are also thinking of a light weight refilable bottle does anyone have any knowlege of cost and winter use etc please. ?

The orange bottle propane, blue bottle butane

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have always had boats until recently and always used propane and do now in my van would not be bothered about changing from propane to butane seems a waste of time to me.

Pete