Lunar Delta 520-2 Electrical Problem

BWT

Hello Folks

Please bear with me as this is my first post here and unfortunatley it is to ask for help rather than offer any!

I am new to caravaning and have just purchased a 2003 Lunar Delta 520 i have a fault i think with the electrics.

I will try to explain as best i can

1) With the van detached from the car and Mains switced to van all the 12v system appears to work OK voltage at the battery 12. 7volts

2) Connected to mains all the 230v work fine and 12V OK except the battery does not appear to be charging the meter in the van increases however the actual voltage at the battery is 12. 7 volts, now the intresting bit battery terminals disconnected (ie no battery) 0volts at the battery terminals. At the charger with the battery connected or disconnected 13. 79 volts Charger PMS4.

3) I have checked all the fuse i can see and they are OK

4) There would also seem to be problem when connected to the car no electrics appear to work in the van even switched to car if i remove the fuse at the incoming cable for the fridge all other 12v seem to work ok when the engine is started in this condtion i still get no increase in voltage at the caravan battery still 12. 7 volts.

I have the wiring diagram for the system but the colours in the diagram are dffrent to those in the van and the wiring in the van looks orginal no funny connectors etc orginal plugs in the PMS

I know that what i am saying makes no sense but it is afterall a caravan can someone please point me in some direction that will help me with these faults?

Thanks for any help in advance

Brian T

When was the car wired (date)?

If the battery is disconnected you get zero volts on battery posts?

12n and 12s sockets and plugs or 13 pin setup?

Edited by Lefthand Down

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

It is intentionally that the caravan 12v electrics cut out when connected to the car with engine running, except for fridge and battery charging. This is not a fault, it is designed to do this.

You have proved this by disconnecting the fridge fuse so then the caravan senses it is detached from the car and the 12v comes on.

The normal battery volt indicators are not very accurate, although you should see a small increase when the charger is switched on but a digital multimeter will give a more accurate reading.

Brian

Hi Lefthand Down &Brian L

Thank you both very much for your prompt response I will try to responed to you both seperately please try and following my ramblings as i have been at this since yesterday and am now totally confussed maybe time to give up and go to the pub?

Lefthand Down

Re you questions this what I have

1) Car is a Volvo XC 90 wired in August 2011 it has twin sockets with a smart bypass relay on the road lamps and combi on the 12s with Pin 4 12. 69v engine off engine running 14. 49, Pin6 0volts engine off engine running 14. 49volts

2) No 12. 7volts on the post 0Volts on the clamps with mains hookup or egine running battery removed from the system please note that on mains hookup the output from the PMS4 on the charge circuit is 13. 79v measured on the pins at the base of the charger

Brian L

I am using a Metrix Digital Tester with the car hooked up i am getting no increase in voltage at the van battery 12. 7v connected to mains still 12. 7volts. The output at the PMS is 13. 79volts and the output at the car is 14. 49volts. If the battery is taken out of the system and the meter put across the clamps then 0volts is the result where the car or mains hookup is used

Regards a very confussed

Brian T

Sounds like you have a break in the circuit - have you checked your RCD switch for the charger - its the one on the left looking at the front of the fusebox on my Lunar.

Hi Springtime

I have checked and the circuit breaker is in the correct position thanks for the suggestion

Regards

Brian T

I am still confused. What is the battery voltage at the battery terminals without any other feed involved?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Caravan chargers are designed for a max output of 13. 8v and car alternators 14. 4v so you are getting the correct outputs. The fact that you are getting zero volts at the battery terminals indicates that there is a break in the charging circuit (loose wire?) or a fuse blown somewhere.

Brian

Agreed.

I think you're gonna have to check the wiring from the charging unit out to the battery.

Hello Again

Sorry about the delay in getting back to this i have been out in the van again and literally ripped all the connections apart and remade them checked all fuses and their housings still getting 13. 79 volts from the PMS unit and 12. 7 at the battery Again if i take the battery out of the system there is 0Volts at the battery clamps (that is no battery in the van)

Lefthand Down

The voltage at the battery with everything disconnceted ie car and hookup is 12. 7volts (if everything is connected and the battery removed from the van the voltage at the connection clips is 0Volts)

Again thanks for all the help

Brian T

Hi Alan

Thanks for your suggestion i have checked these and they appear to be ok i think i may actually have two faults

I have checked the wiring in the car and found that the relay is live on all outputs even though one is supposedly switched this tends to suggest the combi relay is faulty I think this may be something to do with the car powering down after the engine has been run i will get the spark at work to check this tomorrow

The van is a whole different ball game getting 13. 79volts at the PMS but only 12. 7volts at the battery terminals

Thanks agin

Brian T

Edited by BWT

Hi BWT,

There could be an in-line fuse hidden behind the PMS4 unit.

It may take a bit of foraging to find it

Does your 12v lights work off the caravan battery alone ?

The 12v system will work off the PMS no matter which position the

car-off-caravan switch is in.

My charger is a PMS4. The only thing between the output terminals and the battery that would account for the difference in voltage is the main fuse. Look for an inline fitting from the battery positive, separate from the charger. They are notoriously difficult to find on the few vans I've had anything to do with. Hidden under the battery box, buried in coils of wire stuffed into the corner of the bed locker or behind the room heater. Rest assured the handbook won't mention the fuse or its location.

If your battery is showing 12. 7 volts at rest, that indicates the battery should be OK to use.

Good luck.

3) I have checked all the fuse i can see and they are OK

There could well be a separate inline fuse for the battery charging circuit - hidden somewhere under the side seat near the battery etc.

<oops, I should have read all posts!>

Edited by irie

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all the people who have helped with this i did in fact have 2 faults which caused all the hassle these were

1) the cable from the charger was broken internally i found this out by using brute strenght and ignorance

2) the smart combi relay was faulty

aw well alls well that ends well

Thanks again everyone

Brian T