Sky Plus

Hi all Sat buffs,

My father in law has offered me his old Sky Plus box, as i dont have a sky plus subscription at home i can experiment.

So i was wondering, even tough i only have a single LNB, will sky plus record the chanel you might be watching (or if out,record NOT watch one chanel and record another.). Im aware that to work properly id need a twin lnb, and possibly a sky plus activation by BSB. AND pair the card and box.

Just wondering if it would work ??

thanks

nigel

Edited by nigel129

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

In short, yes, the sky + is designed for 2 inputs, but will work with only one input. You will only be able to record the chanel you are watching.

In short, yes, the sky + is designed for 2 inputs, but will work with only one input. You will only be able to record the chanel you are watching.

Thats good news, not that i realy need the record function as theres so many **plus 1 and repeats, however im a bit sick of the wife watching a Coronation St re run at 3am :( . Will it work without having to call sky ??for the record function to work ??

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Yes it will work but you will need a sky plus subscription and also to have the box connected to a phone line every so often in the first year.

If it is not connected to a phone line then you can be cut off by sky.

I am a "normal" Sky subscriber of many years and thought that all I needed was a Sky+ box to record the 06h00 RWC games, so recently bought a cheap-ish Sky+ HD box off eBay.

I then contacted Sky to pair the box with my viewing card, to get my subscribed Sky-Sports channel and that works fine in the 'van, but am sadly still unable to record, although that might just be due to me being thick!

Oh well, at least I got to see us lose in HD. ;)

Cheers, Andy

I take my sky + from home with me and record without any problem I also have the sports.

Maybe your box from ebay as a faulty hard drive. go to tv guide find a program you want to record press r on r/m then you get a sub menu (record once/record series) press the one you want.

Hope this helps

lexon

I am a "normal" Sky subscriber of many years and thought that all I needed was a Sky+ box to record the 06h00 RWC games, so recently bought a cheap-ish Sky+ HD box off eBay.

I then contacted Sky to pair the box with my viewing card, to get my subscribed Sky-Sports channel and that works fine in the 'van, but am sadly still unable to record, although that might just be due to me being thick!

Oh well, at least I got to see us lose in HD. ;)

Cheers, Andy

You need to pay £10 a month Sky+ subscription when they will update your viewing card

I use Sky+ in the van and have discovered that if I insert the wrong Sky+ enabled viewing card into a spare Sky+ box I can not get movies and sport ( I didn't expect to !)but I can use all the Sky+ record,pause. playback facilities plus I can receive Eurosport which is great for the cycling

If you have only a single outlet LNB you will not be able to record. You need the twin LNB to record. Unless you have a Sky subscription you will not be able to record either. If you have a Sky subscription and the card is not paired up to the Sky plus box, you will not be able to record.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

If you have only a single outlet LNB you will not be able to record. You need the twin LNB to record. Unless you have a Sky subscription you will not be able to record either. If you have a Sky subscription and the card is not paired up to the Sky plus box, you will not be able to record.

I can assure you that you can record with only a single input providing that you have a sky+ subscription - if you can't record there must be something wrong with your setup

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clear up some misunderstandings:-

You have to have a Sky subscription (any) to be able to record and play back. The minimum is £10 per month but it's difficult to get this as the Sky operator will insist on selling you at least the basic package at about (I think) £19 per month. The only way to do it might be to accept this package then contact Sky, in writing, within 30 days and tell them you want to reduce your subscription to "recording only". I haven't tried this but I think it will be OK if you do it within your "cooling off" period. Very important to do it in writing by Recorded Delivery.

You can record with only one LNB input (input 1) but only the programme that you are watching. It's actually more convenient to use a Sky+HD Digibox because this has a "single input" mode that you can select.

When you phone Sky to get your viewing card activated you must specifically ask to have the recording feature activated as well. If you didn't do this, phone again and ask for it because it's not automatic, unless you happen to get an operator who thinks to ask.

That is interesting to know that HD has a single input mode

Thanks for the tip :)

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

You can still record only the selected programme but at least the Digibox doesn't get confused and try to find a signal from LNB input 2 if you've set it to "single input" mode.

I think you must press [services] 001 [select] to get to the Installer menu in order to do this.

Of course the Sky+HD Digibox also provides a couple of HD channels for free, as well. You can buy them relatively cheaply on eBay but be aware that many offered second-hand are faulty and may need repair.

I have two Sky +HD boxes. The one at home records and does everything okay. The one in the caravan is also an Amstrad and with the Sky card in it will not record even though I have a twin LNB. Any ideas?

Lunar Delta TI

I have two Sky +HD boxes. The one at home records and does everything okay. The one in the caravan is also an Amstrad and with the Sky card in it will not record even though I have a twin LNB. Any ideas?

First step is to swap the caravan box for the one in the house to see which box or system is faulty.

Vin Blanc

First step is to swap the caravan box for the one in the house to see which box or system is faulty.

Vin Blanc

Thought of that but assumed it was because the card is not paired to the box in the caravan.

Lunar Delta TI

Sky +HD boxes dont work unless a Sky card is inserted and paired with the box . I fitted a quad LNB to caravan dish (£6) and got a Second HD+ box off Ebay . Took out Multi room card (£10 giving duplicate channels to main card) for the second box that is used at home in spare room and taken with us in caravan when we go away.

That gives me full use in the caravan of recording two channels .

Dave

Dave

Sky +HD boxes dont work unless a Sky card is inserted and paired with the box . I fitted a quad LNB to caravan dish (£6) and got a Second HD+ box off Ebay . Took out Multi room card (£10 giving duplicate channels to main card) for the second box that is used at home in spare room and taken with us in caravan when we go away.

That gives me full use in the caravan of recording two channels .

Dave

That is exactly what I thought which is why when we go away for a period longer than a weekend we now take the box from home. Otherwise it is a PIA to phone Sky to pair up to caravan box and then again top pair up to home box for only a few days. Maybe worth it for several or more days. Definitely not worth paying the extra £10 for a second room ext.

Lunar Delta TI

I take our HD box and card from home.

Out of interest, I initially thought that if I have to set up behind trees on site somewhere and can't get a signal, at least we can watch what is recorded on the hard drive.

Wrong. ...no signal, no play play back facility so that theory was out of the window.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Out of interest, I initially thought that if I have to set up behind trees on site somewhere and can't get a signal, at least we can watch what is recorded on the hard drive.

Wrong. ...no signal, no play play back facility so that theory was out of the window.

Just another reason why I take my Freesat PVR from the house. It allows me to watch anything previously recorded whether I have a signal or not!

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc