Towing With Hitch Lock On?

BOAC

While I was at the NEC I was chatting to a fellow caravanner by the Al-Ko stand and he said that it is not wise to tow with the hitch lock on because if the van turned over the car would more than likely go with it - but if there is no hitchlock it would dis-engage from the tow ball before affecting the tug.

HOGWASH

or

TRUTH

Thanks

Pete of the BO

Hogwash! But some say the emergency crews may be a bit put out because they can't get them apart.

I don't travel with mine on but it does go on if I stop on route for a break and would probably stay on till we arrive at base.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Sorry guys, any fire crew would be able to remove an alko hitch lock in seconds not as difficult as it may seem, as for turning the car over, not a chance if you've seen an whole outfit on it's side then the car was going over anyway, more lilkely to lift the rear of the car off the road surface.

Hogwash. Or it would be common knowledge. "Al-Ko hitches are designed to release the tow car when the angle of the hitch exceeds 93. 5 degrees". There would be two lobby groups trying to sue Al-Ko, one saying the hitch released too soon and put my doggy's life at risk, the other . .. you get the picture.

I travel with mine on so we can swoop into the services and be first in line for a curly sandwich and limp lettuce. If the emergency services are put out; hard luck. Worse things happen at sea.

There again, I don't have a fancy Al-Ko hitch and my lock is a Bulldog. B)

While I was at the NEC I was chatting to a fellow caravanner by the Al-Ko stand and he said that it is not wise to tow with the hitch lock on because if the van turned over the car would more than likely go with it - but if there is no hitchlock it would dis-engage from the tow ball before affecting the tug.

HOGWASH

or

TRUTH

Thanks

Pete of the BO

Glad you were chatting rather than spending.

Glad you were chatting rather than spending.

I wish - see the below - £115

http://www. caravanta. ..__fromsearch__1

If you had a car fire whilst travelling, if the hitchlock was on it would take you longer to seperate the two to stop the fire spreading to the caravan. Of course, there are many who would say "stuff the van" and not stand between your burning car and the caravan's gas locker and instead run very far away.

If you had a car fire whilst travelling, if the hitchlock was on it would take you longer to seperate the two to stop the fire spreading to the caravan. Of course, there are many who would say "stuff the van" and not stand between your burning car and the caravan's gas locker and instead run very far away.

:D and very fast too! :D

I was told when I bought my van and had a winterhoff hitch fitted that I could run with the hitch lock fitted but if something happened all the fireservice would do is cut the whole thing off at the easiest point. I don't tow with it on but I do fit it when we stop at services so they can empty my wallet - at least Dick Turpin wore a mask LOL

Only ever on when stationary on pitch, otherwise one of us stays with the 'van xx

Hogwash! But some say the emergency crews may be a bit put out because they can't get them apart.

I don't travel with mine on but it does go on if I stop on route for a break and would probably stay on till we arrive at base.

Does this mean that you travel with it on.

In the event of both car and caravan being over turned then the stresses applied to the hitch would prevent them being seperated in the normal way locked or unlocked (we all know how difficult it is to unhitch on level ground if there is any tension on the hitch), in which case the draw bar would be sheared using the appropriate cutter.

Archived