Towbar Clonk.

springtime

It's only happened a couple of times on my Santa Fe during the last 1,200 miles of towing and each time it was on a particularly uneven road when travellind at about 40mph.

It was a definate clonk on the car not a noise from the caravan.

I was wondering whether it may have been the exhausts as these apparently a difficulty when fitting the towbar. The fitting instructions state that they should be removed in order to fit the towbar.

I did question the company about this but they said that there was sufficient clearance if the pipes were levered down.

I'm gonna put the car on ramps tomorrow and check all the bolts for tightness.

Any thoughts?

Is it possible the car grounded below the tow hitch. What ground clearance have you got?

It can happen on an uneven road surface. I had it happen many years ago along the Severn riverside road near Ironbridge heading south.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi Lefthand Down

The ground clearance is pretty high as its a 4x4 but I'll check for any skuff damage tomorrow.

Cheers

The ground clearance is pretty high

That's what I thought you would say! Don't know the Santa Fe.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I did have the same problem once with a towbar on a car hitting the exhaust.

Give the towbar a really good shove in all directions (up down sides and front to back) and see if it is hitting anything. If so they can be adjusted by loosening the joints and moving a bit. If not perhaps get different rubbers to make it hang a little lower. If it happens that rarely then not too worrying .

Actually just remembered my one was a bolt sticking out and hitting the back box. I just pushed the box onto the bolt hard, it dented the box and then it did not hit anymore!

Been under the car. The bar fittings seem nice and tight, looks a neat job.

The bottom of the rear bumper is resting on the towbar where it goes out the back for the ball attachment. It could be this I suppose.

As they have to cut out 3 retaining pieces from the back of the bumper it may make it slightly more flexible and subject to movement.

Also the spare tyre is a very snug fit and touches the same piece the other side.

The santa fe has a kind of chord hoist that you wind up to locate the spare wheel so again there could be some movement here.

I don't see any real issues so now I'll re-check the caravan hitch to see if there is any movement here.

It might need grease in the hitch tube. If the hitch moves side to side or up and down slightly the grease will prevent this.

Yeah, I've just looked at this and can only see one grease nipple for the brake arm bit.

Shouldn't there be a nipple for the tube?

If so, where is it?

Edited by springtime

Ah, I've found it at last :D

After removing all the covering as the Alko site seems to indicate that there are 2 on the top of the draw tube - not on mine. I poked around underneath and it was hiding under some dirt at the front.

Checked the movement before I re-greased and I could feel some clunking side to side.

After 30 odd pumps of the grease gun, grease began to exude from the end seal.

30 pumps indicates that it was pretty low on lubrication :angry:

Tried the side movement and it's fine now.

Lets hope it was this that caused the problem.

Thanks for your help Lefthand Down :)

It needs doing possibly twice a year if you tow a lot. Annual service may not be often enough.

We had a clonking noise early on with the towbar on our Santa Fe & if its the detachable one it will settle down. There is previous threads on this & its to do with the tow bar settling into the joint etc. We are a few thousand in now & dont hear a thing.

Hope the SF is doing well - we dont know we are towing most of the time!