To Tow In 4 Wheel Drive - Or Not?

BOAC

Prop shaft UJ failure ?

Click the link below,

http://www. pocuk. com/forums/viewtopic. php?t=130626&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Regards

BO

I have had Pajeros and I have towed with them and i cant see any reason anyone should worry about towing a 1600kg caravan with one in 2H as people tow heavier caravans than that with front wheel drive Galaxys and the like .

I also cant see a problem with a RR towing a 40T artic if it moves it in 4L as that what the low range is for . I used to remove large trees with my LWB LR and a chain and in 4L to save digging the roots out .

I m still a member on POCUK .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I have currently a Mitsubishi Shogun MK 7 and before that I had a MK 6, both of these in the handbook and via a sticker on the driver's door say to use 4 wheel drive when towing. I have always followed this instruction as if anything goes wrong (not that it ever has) then I am covered by the guarantee.

ElBeardo :)

I have had Pajeros and I have towed with them and i cant see any reason anyone should worry about towing a 1600kg caravan with one in 2H as people tow heavier caravans than that with front wheel drive Galaxys and the like .

I also cant see a problem with a RR towing a 40T artic if it moves it in 4L as that what the low range is for . I used to remove large trees with my LWB LR and a chain and in 4L to save digging the roots out .

I m still a member on POCUK .

Dave

Hello Dave,

I used to tow in 2 wheel drive, and I have prop shaft UJ failure.

Coincidence ?

Maybe RR have stronger components, I dunno.

I have currently a Mitsubishi Shogun MK 7 and before that I had a MK 6, both of these in the handbook and via a sticker on the driver's door say to use 4 wheel drive when towing. I have always followed this instruction as if anything goes wrong (not that it ever has) then I am covered by the guarantee.

ElBeardo :)

Well, thats one in the eye for all of us. Thank you O Bearded one.

Bo

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

. I used to remove large trees with my LWB LR and a chain and in 4L to save digging the roots out .

Dave

A Rolls Silver Ghost was brought back from Australia to appear in a festival at Windsor Castle some years ago.

It had been stripped down over there and used for uprooting trees. The procedure was to fix a ships anchor on one side of tree and drive passed on the other side at speed. When asked how the clutch coped with this the owner said "it made it smoke a bit"!

It was restored for the parade back to its original state for the occasion.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

BO

A Prop shaft UJ going can happen on any car even without towing due to the seals going and letting moisture into the bearings and corroding . Most Pajeros are 15 yrs old and have done many miles and mileage turned back before they leave Japan as not ilegal.

I had a mate who was one of the biggest importers of Pajeros into this country and I used to make parts for them (most were parts for the Turbos).

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

BO

A Prop shaft UJ going can happen on any car even without towing due to the seals going and letting moisture into the bearings and corroding . Most Pajeros are 15 yrs old and have done many miles and mileage turned back before they leave Japan as not ilegal.

I had a mate who was one of the biggest importers of Pajeros into this country and I used to make parts for them (most were parts for the Turbos).

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Oh ! I did not know about the clock being turned back. I am amazed. Oh well.

As for you mate importing them - does he still import? You saying 'WAS' - I guess he does'nt now.

I don't half fancy an Exceed in the future.

BO

No he stopped as the prices went into free fall on them as he used to buy them for a £1000-£1500 and sell them over here for £6000 -£12000 .

He payed £500 was the shipping +ins and about £500 import +VAT so he made a nice profit but they are a lot cheaper now . He used to have a yard full of them .

I had a Exceed .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

How does the Jeep compare?

I have always liked the Commander - what about second hand price for a decent one, and is the equipment on par?

Pete

How does the Jeep compare?

I have always liked the Commander - what about second hand price for a decent one, and is the equipment on par?

Pete

The Jeep is far more loaded than the Exceed with the drop down DVD in the roof and headphones for the rear passengers, sat nav. Hi Fi sound system Individual heating and air con for the seven seats . The main thing I like is the V6 in the jeep is the MERC 3. 0 CRD which is well tested for years being in the Sprinters and MLs and other vehicles and a timing chain instead of rubber timing belts in the Pajero . To change the belts in a Pajero is a front break down to get to the covers to get to the belts .

The Commander uses the same floor pan and components as the Grand Cherokee 2005+ and are easy obtained . Their Made in Austria .

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item1c1ef08b60

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/2006-JEEP-COMMANDER-LIMITED-CRD-BLACK-/110759080339?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item19c9c17193

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

There is nothing in the drive train that would not be operational in two wheel drive that is in 4wd. However in 4wd the torque needed to pull away will be distributed over all 4 halfshafts, 2 diffs etc so in theory would be better. That being said I doubt the stresses placed on the one axle in 2wd with managed sensible towing is going to be any worse than somebody ragging it solo so it should be able to cope.

Mine is fully automatic with a haldex so is only in 2wd provided everything is OK but the haldex locks up with wheel slip. The only control I have is to increase the sensitivity to slip if required.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the information. They certainly look the job.

What does your Commander return in MPG please.

Also, does yours have a leather interior?

I must say that I have always been put off by leather due to the cracking that may be caused, so I have tended to have cloth instead.

I like the cargo hold too. No projections to speak of. Nice.

Regards

Pete

The Jeep is far more loaded than the Exceed with the drop down DVD in the roof and headphones for the rear passengers, sat nav. Hi Fi sound system Individual heating and air con for the seven seats . The main thing I like is the V6 in the jeep is the MERC 3. 0 CRD which is well tested for years being in the Sprinters and MLs and other vehicles and a timing chain instead of rubber timing belts in the Pajero . To change the belts in a Pajero is a front break down to get to the covers to get to the belts .

The Commander uses the same floor pan and components as the Grand Cherokee 2005+ and are easy obtained . Their Made in Austria .

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item1c1ef08b60

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item19c9c17193

Dave

We went to saxtons a while ago, where the 1st of those jeeps is, & came away thinking what a pile of sh*** cars they have!!! We went to look specifically at a Shogun, which they said they had, but when we got there they said oh, its in a different yard, we'llhave to go & get it. So after about 3/4 of an hour this shogun turned up, not the one we'd gone to look at, at all, but a completely different vehicle that had loads of rust round the door seals & had obviously been ragged around a field, as the underside was covered in mud. the rest of the vehicles didn't seem to be in much better shape either. They announce they have 100's of 4x4's & you think its going to be a big place, but i reality its no bigger than your average 'Arthur Daley' forecourt. Not impressed. But that is just my opinion, i'm sure someone else will counter with what excellent service they got there.

What are the rear most seats like in the Commander? We generally have at least one teenager in the back, so we need the biggest set of rear seats we can find. The nissan patrol looks like its the winner at the moment, but i do like the chrysler comforts like the dvd with the wireless headphones so the kids can watch something while i listen to Ken Bruce.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................