Scotland, Edinburgh

klyne

Edinborough Caravan Club Site,

37-37 Marine Drive,

Edinborough,

EH4 5EN

Tel: 01313 126874

We used this site as our first stop in Scotland. Everything done to a very good standard as you expect from the Club. You can get into the City of Edinburgh by bus which is a 10/15 minute walk or use the minibus direct from the site.

http://www. davidklyn. ..n_club_site. htm

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Thanks David, booked on here for half term. What sort of cost are you talking about for the minibus or public bus? Royal Yacht is also on our list of 'to do'

Thanks David, booked on here for half term. What sort of cost are you talking about for the minibus or public bus? Royal Yacht is also on our list of 'to do'

Janet

It was £5 per person return so a bit more expensive than taking the bus but we also got a running commentary on places of interest along the route! Just be aware that it stops running about nine at night but reception have a timetable.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant report and photographs thank you. I am trying to persuade my hubby that Scotland would be a good bet for a long trip next year but he is objecting on the grounds of the amount of rain they have. Having read your report I think that he could be right :)

We used this site for the tattoo and fringe this August. Bus service is great, one every few minutes & a choice of direction into and out of the city. ..it's a fixed price per journey, £1. 30 each, correct cash into box by driver & no change given so you have to be prepared. Oh, and we took the car & parked round the corner from the stop, saved the 15min walk from the site especially on the way back when we were tired from walking round the city all day.

We used the minibus to go to the tattoo as it waited for us after the show at a prearranged spot. Very good.

What interested me was that, although the site was always fully booked, every evening the late arrivals bit was always jam-packed with German, French, Italian, etc. motor homes. I don't reckon that they could have been pre-booked so wonder if they all paid the night's site fee?

Having now read David's review at the top of this post, two alternative suggestions I would make:

David's directions to site are the "official" CC ones. I missed the turn off the A1 for the ring road, and having programmed my satnav with the site postcode followed this instead. This takes you though Leith past Brittania and is much simpler & quicker (IMO), albeiit somewhat potholed with some sunken manholes to be avoided if possible! We came back that way to the A1 with no probs & much quicker & you soon pick up the signs to the A1.

Other point is we aways prefer to use Sainsburys if possible & had the postcode to the nearest one from the site. We followed the satnav to this through some backstreets we would never have used otherwise & I'm sure it was shorter than 1 mile and a very big store.

No offence David just alternative thoughts.

Intereresting report David.

We are looking to book a site for next year's Edinburgh Festival so this looks to fit the bill.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Just to point out that there is another site in Edinburgh at Mortonhall. This is on the south of the city just off the bypass at the intersection of the A702 from Carlisle, so very easy to get to. It is situated within the Mortonhall Estate so is in woodland and has walks around the site. There is also a pub/rstaurant on site and a garden centre at the entrance. There is also a 10 minute bus service to the city from the entrance. 1 km along the road is the Gracemount Leisure Centre with gym, pool etc and cheap entry prices. There is a Morrisons about 1 km along the road towards Oxgangs and a Waitrose in Morningside. During the Festival months Lothian Buses park a bus welcome centre at the gate and sell tickets and give information, which saves fumbling at the stop for the right change.

Although the original facilties may not be exactly to CC scratch there is a new heated tolet block just opened which is on a par.

http://www. meadowhead. co. uk/MortonhallHome. aspx

Another option for a stay in Edinburgh is a CL site in Roslyn - it was 2 mins to the park and ride with buses every 10 minutes into the centre. The other benefit was that it was right next to Roslyn chapel, and a lovely site - we would definitely recommend it as a good location for exploring Edinburgh and surrounding area.

Having now read David's review at the top of this post, two alternative suggestions I would make:

David's directions to site are the "official" CC ones. I missed the turn off the A1 for the ring road, and having programmed my satnav with the site postcode followed this instead. This takes you though Leith past Brittania and is much simpler & quicker (IMO), albeiit somewhat potholed with some sunken manholes to be avoided if possible! We came back that way to the A1 with no probs & much quicker & you soon pick up the signs to the A1.

Other point is we aways prefer to use Sainsburys if possible & had the postcode to the nearest one from the site. We followed the satnav to this through some backstreets we would never have used otherwise & I'm sure it was shorter than 1 mile and a very big store.

No offence David just alternative thoughts.

None taken, after all a site review is only one persons snapshot of that site. I nearly decided not to put in the instructions as they do seem complicated, even the CC miss out and important road name! As to shopping we normally do ours in Waitrose which I had heard had opened in Edinburgh but the Morrisions was nearest. Have to say we have never got on with Sainsburys for some reason. I might have been that they had changed all their boxes of wine down to 2. 25 lts rather than the normal 3lts :o

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

We didn't end up staying Edinburgh CC site as our car was written off on the Wednesday before we travelled. However not wanting to miss out meeting up with our friends, we booked a B&B for a couple of nights nearby (Murrayfield) and travelled to the site each day. Thought it was a lovely site and will be definitely going there at some point in the next year. Loved it's location, the site layout was nice - not sure being under the flight path to the airport was good but think I could manage for a few days. Went to the nearby Toby Inn for tea one night and used a local takeaway for another. All in all had a good few days and even managed to visit the Royal Yacht with the CC discount which I really enjoyed.

Recommended :D

you get a discount (poss 20%) with the CC great days out voucher. Just need to show the voucher (downloadable from website) and your cc card. Discount up to 5 people and can be used with the family tickets as well as singles.

there is another site just a little out of edinburgh getting good reviews its LINWATER, its only 15 mins from city by pass and 15 mins from livingston desiginer outlets.

havent used it but been and had a look [its only 10 minutes from my house.]

its has won numerous awards from david bellemy

myra

Have stayed at Linwater. Really nice site with both grass and hardstanding. Good dog walking from the site. Morrissons not far away.

Lady who runs the place is great and ever so helpful

Cheers

Seesaw

• 3 months later...

Have stayed at Linwater three times now,Jean the owner is a very friendly lady,the site is clean and tidy at all times and the shower/toilet blocks are very clean.

It is part of a working farm,one time we stayed there we where next to a field that had lambs and piglets running round,nice to sit and watch.

Edited by Steve1953

If staying at the Edinburgh CC site, try and pitch away from the road.

We are light sleepers and found it noisy very early in the morning when the road seems to be used as a short cut for commuters.

There is also aircraft noise.

Edinburgh CC site is wonderful. We love it and use it often depsite being less than an hour away. We were there last week and were heartened to see that the half of the site that was in use was pretty much full.

Never had an issue with aircraft noise though do avoid parking next to the road.

Have been looking at other sites in the area for a mate who needs a site with tent pitches as well as caravan pitches (there are tent pitches at the CC site but they are not pre-bookable). We were struck by the poor quality and very high prices of some of the commercial sites in the area. Thank goodness for the CC!

• 1 month later...

WE also love the site and use it regularly - it's only an hour away from us too but to leave the kids at home and go off for a quiet weekend and a wee pub crawl in Edinburgh with bus home at the end of it is brilliant. The noise of the planes - you get used to it very quickly. For the more active of you if you go out of the site and cross the road and head down through the woods you get to the "Foreshore" it is a walkway along the edge of the Forth and walkers, runners and cyclists use it. The views are spectacular and I think there is a little cafe which opens in the summer months. I am off there tomorrow by myself for a day and TIm and the girls are joining me on Friday night. I plan to get my bike and the dog and go for a tootle along the riverside on Friday afternoon and then we're going to see The Hunger Games at Leith cinema on Friday night. Hopefully some more cycling on Saturday if my behind has recovered and then we will head into the city for a meal and a few drinks - the girls will stay at the van. Please don;t worry they are well old enough to look after themselves. Just in case anyone was wondeirng about me leaving them either at home or in the van. lol

Should anyone get the chance just go there !! Fabulous site were were there for Hogmany 2009

Only stayed at Edinburgh CC once, must have picked a bad week, loads of French teenagers camping,when my wife went to the Toilet block, loads of kids sat on the floor near the washbasins, waiting of there friends, , kids riding bikes round toilet blocks, not been back since, put us off

• 4 months later...

its a top cc site immaculate and plenty of pitches well run by wardens everything you would find in cc sites

a lot of road works a couple miles just before site

not good tv reception lucky I had satellite dish

That's strange we always get a great picture there with our directional status aerial . .. there are also TV hooks up on the mains bollards if you need them.