Can I Stand On The Roof?

BFM

Bailey advertise their Alu-tech vans with the towcar on top. So I can easily walk around on one of those to clean the roof. However, we have a Coachman Amara. Traditional wood frame - but what is the roof safe working load?

I would like to get on the roof of mine to check the sealant, and I thought of a stout plank to spread the load with a piece of carpet underneath would do it.

A bit fiddly - but possible from a raised platform.

I would not consider doing it without spreading the load though.

Bo

depends how it's made - Bailey bond their roof components together as a sandwich, but some of the other manufacturers just have a thin aluminium skin laid over fibreglass insulation, others have a GRP skin over fibreglass. You have to know how yours is made before tramping over it.

I've been up on the roof of mine but use a thick sheet of polystyrene to spread the load otherwise you get little round dents where your knees dig in.

The Caravan Channel has got some videos from visits to various factories and it's quite educational to see the various techniques

Simple answer,. Bailey make the Alu Tec, which did have a car on the roof, but the weight was on the reinforced edges.

You have a traditional Coachman, DONT walk on the roof.

some time ago i checked with Coachman if it is ok to walk on the roof - they replied that it there is no problem if you do but they don't recommend it on safety grounds.

I could do on my Hymer but I won't. I think the idea of a decorators plank with carpet GLUED not NAILED on would be the better option.

Regards Peter

When cleaning our stored vans as I do every time before putting them out onto the pitches for their owners I always prefer to clean the German built vans as I always go up and stand on the roofs, but before doing do, I ensure my boots are clean and then I always pressure wash an area where I will be standing before going up top-side.

Being up there makes it oh so much easier to do a thorough job of the cleaning which is why I never like cleaning the British built vans we have in store because I can never do as thorough job.

Personally speaking and although Bailey lay claim that you can walk around on their roofs, for me it would be a no go as they all look and feel so blessed flimsy.

some time ago i checked with Coachman if it is ok to walk on the roof - they replied that it there is no problem if you do but they don't recommend it on safety grounds.

That is called edging your bets. Or is it sitting on the fence?

Why would you need to walk on the roof anyway? Cleaning or fixing?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I would like to give the domes a damm good polish, and get the green stuff off under the lip, but perhaps the really necessary task is to examine the sealing on the roof joints.

I have two at either end, and should they require resealing, I would find it impossible to carry out this task from a ladder or platform.

Bo

I have two at either end, and should they require resealing, I would find it impossible to carry out this task from a ladder or platform.

Bo

I have always worked on these from inside. If they break in use they get replaced. I have only had one leak and that was a result of wrong mastic being used. I re-fitted it from inside after dropping it in by using a ladder up the side nearest.

Mind you I couldn't get on the roof anyway.

This is a good way to get access.

http://www. laddersandscaffoldtowers. co. uk/acatalog/multi_purpose_ladders. html?gclid=CLe6_8_S6KsCFRJc4Qod2xi-JA

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Don't try it without some sort of load spreading.

I got my wife, who is 9 stone to get up onto the roof of our previous Senator Louisiana to clean it ~ she as well as being lighter, has a better head for heights than me!

What we didn't realise until it was finished was that wherever she knealt in the process, she created shallow indentations which were not apparent until viewed from level with the roof edge off the ladder afterwards.

It ended up looking a bit like a beaten copper chimney breast ~ a right mess, what we should have done was to have put down a soft blanket first then a plywood sheet on top of that to spread the load and taken no notice of the past 'Bailey men on roof' stunt.

Good job the dealer who we p/x'd it with for our new van didn't get up and take a look.

Only ever use a long brush off the ladder now.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

i cleaned my first van thoroughly when we first had it - (ABI Dalesman) and i used a scaffold plank across the roof, easy to place with 2 people and 2x sets of step ladders. i for one wouldn't like to be walking on a caravan roof.

I have a Burstner and asked the same question of the manufacturer. This is their reply

Dear Sir,

The flat sections of the roof of your caravan are rated to 75kg per square metre. (Incidentally the equivalent of 2m of snow!)

Please avoid standing on the curved parts as these are not laminated and will buckle.

Regards,

Burstner UK

PO Box 164,

Bishop Auckland.

County Durham,

DL13 1WZ

That is called edging your bets. Or is it sitting on the fence?

no, don't think Coachman were edging their bets - clear that it is ok to walk on the roof but they are covering themselves if i slipped off and then sued them!! all down to "Elf & Safety" issues.

only reason i would go the roof is to clean it properly - if something needs fixing, i get someone else to do it!!!

The title of this thread scared me :huh: I don't think i'd have the guts to stand or crawl on the caravan roof!

Compass Shadow 1988

I have no qualms about getting high on the caravan but pressure washing is a big no-no

I have no qualms about getting high on the caravan but pressure washing is a big no-no

You said it, and I had to comment about that to the owner of a caravan sales outlet when I saw his 'washer' using a high pressure hose.

'Oh - he is aware of the damage it could cause and he avoids the tender bits'

YEAH RIGHT

Good grief!

Don't like the idea of being on the van roof. A year or two ago in order to examine the join between roof and rear spoiler I rigged a ladder horizontally across the awning rails with a bit of board on the treads. Carpet scraps 'twixt ladder and awning rail. I stopped it tipping with 2 ratchet straps from ladder tread to chassis rail. My weight was supported by the walls. By my standards quite safe and no dents in the roof but getting off the contraption was harder than getting on.

Took the opportunity to de-green the rooflight while I was up there.

Talking of pressure washers, I was advised by a passer-by earlier this year not to pressure-wash the van roof. He only saw the washer and the lance. He couldn't see the twirly brush on the end of the lance which seems to get the debris off the roof without making it leak. B)

Archived