Golden Mayfair Draining Down For Winter Advice

jasons

hello as the title suggests i am looking for some advice about how i would go about draining down the water system on my 1999 golden mayfair. we hoped we would get one more trip in her but due to circumstances beyond our control we were not able to get away. the van is parked at our storage facility which is about 5 miles from home. where are the the draining points and what do i need to do to avoid a big bill come next year,also any tips on preventing damp etc,would be greatly recieved.

many thanks

jason

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

If you have a hot water heater then the drain tap is usually near to that, its often sited under a front seat. Ours has a yellow lever on it. So open all the taps and the drain point. dont forget the shower tap & pipe.

Also the little bung is in the toilet compartmewnt where the waste tank is, again often hidden by a bit of piping in front of it. Remove to drain the holding tank, after pumping the majority of the water into the waste tank.

leave the taps & drain point open for the winter so any remnaining bits of water can evaporate.

in 25 years weve never experienced split pipes etc.

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

jason

For your future trips you should consider draining down your water and toilet systems before towing, as a large mass of liquid sloshing about can lead to towing instability. It is also inadvisable to leave drinking water standing in the caravan's pipework between trips for hygiene reasons.

If you drain down every time before you leave a site you will have less work to do at your storage facility when leaving your 'van for the winter.

If you have a Carver hot water system in your caravan, you may find a plastic plug with a slot in the top, at the bottom of an outside panel. This plug should be removed to drain the water but keep the plug in safe place so that you can replace it before you start to re-fill the water system when you next use the caravan.

DeeTee

Thats good advice Proterra and so early in the morning! Is that you on the photo. ..you look a little young to have had a caravan for 25 years ;-)

Not me my son, I havent been as thin as that for a number of years!!!!!

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.