Winter In Southern France

I read that a lot of caravanners go down to Spain for the winter months. But is it necessary to go that far south to get better weather than the typical UK winter dank offerings?

We are not sun worshippers and are happy to wander around in sweaters. But would like to avoid the predictably wetter UK weather and extend the autumn trip into Nov/ Dec. ..... Or start the year earlier in Jan/Feb!

I read that a lot of caravanners go down to Spain for the winter months. But is it necessary to go that far south to get better weather than the typical UK winter dank offerings?

We are not sun worshippers and are happy to wander around in sweaters. But would like to avoid the predictably wetter UK weather and extend the autumn trip into Nov/ Dec. ..... Or start the year earlier in Jan/Feb!

First week in January 2010 we were outside Perpignan for 3 days on route to the Costa's and while the weather was cold typically 6-8c it was certainly warmer than the Uk

We have family in the Camargue, and have wanted to go there for Christmas / New Year, but have heard camp sites are all shut, nowhere to stay either there or on way down.

Has anyone else stopped in the area at this time of year, or have any suggestions?

Chris

In a word Eric. ..Yes, but. ..Some people do stay in the South West corner of France. We sat in the Sunshine all day 1st january this year in Urrugne (St Jean de Luz). where it was 19 deg. However, we continued our journey over the border and South East to the Med' in Oliva and stayed there for 3 months, enjoying warm sunshine pretty well every day. The coast of Spain is warmed by the mediteranian sea and warm winds, and is sheltered by the steep mountains that rise promptly as you go in land. Spain in-land is pretty cold. we would not want to travel north for France or Northern Spain until the end of March.

. .....a friend lives on a site in Granada and he reckons that about 25% of their winter visitors come from Central and SouthWest France. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

In a word Eric. ..Yes, but. ..Some people do stay in the South West corner of France. We sat in the Sunshine all day 1st january this year in Urrugne (St Jean de Luz). where it was 19 deg. However, we continued our journey over the border and South East to the Med' in Oliva and stayed there for 3 months, enjoying warm sunshine pretty well every day. The coast of Spain is warmed by the mediteranian sea and warm winds, and is sheltered by the steep mountains that rise promptly as you go in land. Spain in-land is pretty cold. we would not want to travel north for France or Northern Spain until the end of March.

I take it you were at Larrouleta, we love the place and site but thats in spite of the dire weather we have encountered there in Aprril/May and June you were very lucky there Ian

Use this website http://users. telenet. ..echts/camp1. htm to find sites adjacent to the main routes through France (with 15km) - those listed in red are open all year. With regard to the Camargue area in particular, Plein Aire de Chenes, near Montpellier is open all year, and is a Camping Cheque site (www. campingcheque. co. uk).

Using ACSI (www. campingcard. com) and using '21/12/2011 to 26/12/2011' there are open sites all the way down the A75 corridor, and in the Camargue, Camping de la Crau at St Martin de la Crau is open between those dates.

With eregard to the main topic, there are several more sites open in the Var and Languedoc areas. Check out the websites, above, for details.

I am sure there are lots of others which are not in either of these schemes, too.

Edited by ValA

I take it you were at Larrouleta, we love the place and site but thats in spite of the dire weather we have encountered there in Aprril/May and June you were very lucky there Ian

We were there for the first 11 days of May this year.

From memory apart from 1 day of rain and one night were we almost lost the awning due to a passing squall (I was out putting the panels in and re-pegging at 2:30am!), I thought the weather was OK!

G.

Edited by chapmag

. But is it necessary to go that far south to get better weather than the typical UK winter dank offerings?

Where I spend the winter in Southern Spain, I often meet a French couple in their motor van and towing their little 2cv on a trailer. They usually spend a month on the site before moving on to Morocco. They live near Nimes.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We were there for the first 11 days of May this year.

From memory apart from 1 day of rain and one night were we almost lost the awning due to a passing squall (I was out putting the panels in and re-pegging at 2:30am!), I thought the weather was OK!

G.

I was speaking of experiance over the years not necesarily this year, although it was pretty poor again when we were there for 9 nights from 23rd April. We have had enough nice times there to call twice a year but always regard nice weather as a bonus.

We had a few nights in Aix en Province (Camping Chantecleer) in December 2008 and it was b******y cold! Soon moved on to Spain! However the Christmas market there was well worth a visit, and the air was clear and fresh, the mountains (Mont Saint Victoire etc) looked good.