Total New Guy Being Put Off After First Dealer Visit.

weatherman

Evening all.

The wife and I along with our x2 under 5 YO boys are looking in to caravanning as a way of making sure we take breaks from work etc.

I know minimal about caravans so today we went up to a dealer close to us to have a mooch about

Our only car is an 407 SW auto which i thought should not pose us to many problems. However, when the dealer came out he looked at the plate inside the door and said we can not tow anything over 1000 KG.

He arrived at this figure as the GTW is 3210 and the GVW is 2210. the kerb weight of the car is 1759.

Is he being over cautious as my understanding is that i am OK (within reason) as long as i dont exceed the GTW of 3210.

I have looked on towcar etc and they all seem to give me figure more like 1350 KG max tow, in short everything seems to contradict itself.

Thanks for any replies.

Matt

(oh and buying another larger car just for towing, is not an option and the caravans that are under 1000 KG are generally not suitable and my 5 year old would destroy them :) .)

Peugeot 407-SW

Any more info? Engine size?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The boys in blue would look at the plates on the van and your car.

If the gross weight of your van was more than 1000kgs you could be illegal.

It is the two gross weights they add together to give the gross train weight.

I think the dealer is correct.

Sorry

Brian

Your interpretation is correct, as long as the actual weight of the car plus the actual weight of the caravan is less than the 3210kg maximum train weight ten you are legal. In any court case on this issue there has to be evidence of actual weights produced and if such evidence is not abailable then the prosecution fails, this information comes from a close friend who is a magistrate.

without knowing anything about which model car you have, I went on to what tow car website http://www. towcar. info/index. php

and put in the first option for a 407 (2 litre coupe) and matched it to a Bailey GT60 4 berth and it seemed ok with a weight ratio of 78% so I would look a bit further if I were you!

Evening all. The wife and I along with our x2 under 5 YO boys are looking in to caravanning as a way of making sure we take breaks from work etc. I know minimal about caravans so today we went up to a dealer close to us to have a mooch about Our only car is an 407 SW auto which i thought should not pose us to many problems. However, when the dealer came out he looked at the plate inside the door and said we can not tow anything over 1000 KG. He arrived at this figure as the GTW is 3210 and the GVW is 2210. the kerb weight of the car is 1759. Is he being over cautious as my understanding is that i am OK (within reason) as long as i dont exceed the GTW of 3210. I have looked on towcar etc and they all seem to give me figure more like 1350 KG max tow, in short everything seems to contradict itself. Thanks for any replies. Matt (oh and buying another larger car just for towing, is not an option and the caravans that are under 1000 KG are generally not suitable and my 5 year old would destroy them :) .)

3210 kgs - 2210 kgs = 1000 kgs . This tow limit is a guide but the 3210 kg Maximum train weight must not be exceeded so you could keep the car lighter and this will allow you a bit extra for towing but it needs to be checked on a weightbridge to make sure you are not over the MTW .

Not knowing when you passed your driving test but you may need to check your driving licence for towing if you went for a bigger car and caravan .

Dave

Many thanks to all.

I have been on the towcar site and never really noticed any issues so it did throw me a bit.

I do thin that my car will be a bit limited in choice though. Does anyone have any suggestions for lightweight 4 berth vans?

A local dealer had a bailier hunter lite whcih was 6 berth but came in at under 900 KGS. .................due to the law of sod however, that has sold.

Dave. I pased my test a good few years back and so my license has all the entitlements. good point though, and it means the Mrs can never drive without supplementing her license.

He arrived at this figure as the GTW is 3210 and the GVW is 2210. the kerb weight of the car is 1759.

If these are the actual weight figures on the weight plate on the car, then the dealer is correct as the towing load is normally the difference between the GTW and the GVW. The payload for the car at 451kg seems low if your kerbweight figure is correct.

This website seems to give different information

http://www. cuddles. abelgratis. net/peugeot. htm#407s09

However, its the plate on the car that matters

Brian

Try this link?

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/media/22442/thinking%20of%20buying%20a%20towcar. pdf Fill in the details and phone.

Car:-Make

Model

Body Style

Derivative/Trimstyle

Engine size and type

Year or registration number

Caravan:-Make

Range

Model

No. of berths

Year of manufacture

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

In the owners manual it states that 1000 kg is the max tow weight however this can be increased by a max of 300 kg if this weight is not carried in the car.

I think this would account for the different figures on various websites but this contradicts the plate on the car does it not.

It sounds like part of your problem is you have an automatic car. While many are excellent tow cars some manufacturers have cut the towing limits on their auto models, probably due to the fact they suspect the auto box will not take the load. If the box is a manual with a computerised gear change mechanism then it could be a restriction. Don't ask me why, but it seems some cars are restricted.

A manual 407 seems to be able to happily tow up to 1500 kg if some of the owners comments are to be believed.

It may well be that yes

I have been looking at the various links you have all suggested and 85% of my kerb weight is 1500 kg however it does seem the GTW is restricted due to the auto box. A footnote does say you can run 300 kg heavier as I mentioned before but I don't feel confident about that legally.

Checking the manual it seems manual gear box cars have a braked trailer weight of 1600 and a GTW of 3783 so it does seem a restriction on the box.

That's annoying.

If you go to the dvla website and have a look at their section on towing, you will find the dealer is correct.

Legally you can tow 1000kgs.

Assuming the figures you quote are correct.

Brian

Can you give me a link to that as that advice would appear to be incorrect. The offence is exceeding the train weight, which is the actual weight of the combination at the time of weighing, not a technical figure based on the towing vehicle's permitted axle weights.

http://www. uktow. com/index. asp

Probably you have checked this one but here it is anyway.

If these are the actual weight figures on the weight plate on the car, then the dealer is correct as the towing load is normally the difference between the GTW and the GVW. The payload for the car at 451kg seems low if your kerbweight figure is correct. This website seems to give different information http://www. cuddles. abelgratis. net/peugeot. htm#407s09 However, its the plate on the car that matters Brian

I agree Brian I thought the Kerbweight was high and wondered where that figure had come from .

Dave

I have and discounted them Rita. Although not hugely abundant, sub 1000 kg 4 berth vans are about. The search is on.

The older caravans are more basic so lighter whereas the newer caravans have all the extras like washing machines, dish washers, microwaves, jaccuzi and 50" plasmas . I would just seach the normal places like Ebay, Gumtree,Preloved, Trader sites .

Dave

Thanks for all your replies.

I was initially extremely disappointed as I thought the weights would rule out a usable caravan however I just think it will limit the choice a bit but the lighter I can find the better.

When the car needs changing I will be looking at anything news towing

prowess

Matt

Matt

http://www. uktow. com/index. asp

Probably you have checked this one but here it is anyway.

Firstly as a source it is simply another opinion, though to be honest it does actually get things correct when it says that the vehicles towing capacity can be found on the vin plate. The towing capacity on the vin plate is the maximum train weight, which is the actual weight of the car plus the actual weightnof the caravan.

Your lucky. ...

When we were looking for our first caravan, dealers looked at my car and basically said " that thing will tow anything"

I had a BMW touring 325i

We looked at a place in Morpeth, Where i asked what will my car tow. .. Answer was. ... " A canny stack "

We walked away asking ourselves. .. " What the hell is a canny stack "

I ended off emailing Motty at Practical Caravan magazine, where he advised me of what to look for. ...

Am sure to this date if a dealer had a railway carriage for sale. . my car would of towed it. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Archived