2006 Freelander Hse Tyre Advice

FlyingTog

Hi All

I am about at that time I need to change the tyres on my Freelander.

Currently on the original Michelin's after 52,000 miles from new. They are 225 x 55 R17's.

As 55's are limited in choice, I can go to 225 x 60 R17's or 225 x 65 R17's which open up the field a bit. (Yes I know that will change the gearing/speedo etc.)

I'm after a tyre with a slightly more aggressive tread pattern than the current ones (not for serious off road use, but to assist in caravan "maneuvers" off road. I'm open to suggestions on brand and would welcome any feedback on suitable tyres others have used on their 4 x 4's

Cheers

FT

Using tyres of a larger profile will alter as you say the gearing and speedo but the most important issue would be it will reduce the torque at the wheels which is what is needed for towing . You would also be travelling faster than the speedo stated with the larger diameter wheels .

If you want to save money fitting more common tyres it might be worth fitting the standard size wheels (16 " ) and fitting standard tyres .

Check out Ebay you might get some on there .

Fitting the wrong tyres could also be a problem at MOT and with your insurance as it could be invalidated .

Dave

Using tyres of a larger profile will alter as you say the gearing and speedo but the most important issue would be it will reduce the torque at the wheels which is what is needed for towing . You would also be travelling faster than the speedo stated with the larger diameter wheels .

If you want to save money fitting more common tyres it might be worth fitting the standard size wheels (16 " ) and fitting standard tyres .

Check out Ebay you might get some on there .

Fitting the wrong tyres could also be a problem at MOT and with your insurance as it could be invalidated .

Dave

Thanks Dave

The Freelander 1 had up 60 and 65 profile tyres on some rims (16 inch) , its just the HSE variant that had 17 inch rims fitted. Physically fitting in the arches is not a problem, nor is the insurance ( I checked with Landrover Insurance and they said as long as the tyre size was fitted as OEM it is OK and will not affect the insurance). Some of the late 2006 F1's did have 60's profile on 17 inch rims.

The gearing will be slightly up. ... checking the diameter of the tyres compared to the OEM's it will make only a marginal difference to the gearing. The available torque will be down slightly at the road wheel, but again by calculation, it is only a small amount and as I have had a remap, it is still greater then the stock F1 on 55's profile tyres.

A quick call to my LR dealer that services and MOT's the Freelander said there won't be any issues with MOT's with 60's or 65's fitted. Interestingly he suggested sticking to 60's as 65's might offer too much sidewall flexing when towing. He also said that 60's should bring the gearing spot on and the speedo should read correctly as the rolling diameter was the original intended design size for the F1 facelift TD4 vehicle but for some reason LR went with 55's from Michelin as OEM.

At the moment I have had feedback on the Uniroyal 4 x 4 Street, Cooper ATR, Yokahama G012 A/T-S and the Bridgestone Dueler D687KZ. .. The Bridgestone's seem to be the preferred option by many.

Cheers

FT

Not a freelander, but I've been running general at2 tyres for the last couple of years. They are an all season tyre - with the snowflake mark (so can even be used in germany etc in winter) and an all terrain tread. I towed a volvo and his caravan uphill (steep) on a CL last year. Very happy with them, but my 4x4 is quite a bit heavier than yours.

Speedo's are not 100% accurate even when fitted at the factory.

Changing the aspect ratio from 55% to 60% will produce an error of 3. 3% in the speedo reading ie: when your speedo reads 30mph you will be travelling at 30. 99mph(31mph) When your speedo reads 60mph you will be travelling at 62mph. Which is no big deal.

If you find cheaper tyres with the tread pattern you want and they are 225/60 R17 then don't lose any sleep.

Regards.

Col

• 4 weeks later...

What tyres have you gone with in the end as I'm currently in the same boat as you with tyres

Hi

I haven't actually bought any yet. ... but after checking on the Landrover Owners Forum and a couple of others. .. General seem to be the ones with the best all round support for mild off road and towing while still keeping good on road performance, and they are available in the correct size.

The next were the Uniroyal 4x4 Street, again in the correct size.

I'm just procrastinating over buying a set of winter tyres on steel rims and therefore putting off the main tyre replacement until next year. In the latest edition of LRO Magazine, there are a couple of advertisers offering deals on winter tyre sets.

FT

+1 for general grabber at2. I have them on my disco 3 and they are just superb. My wife has a navara with bridgestone duellers on and they are ok but not a patch on the generals for grip in the slippy stuff.

Interestingly I was expecting them to generate a lot of road noise with their tread pattern but they are surprisingly quiet.

Hth.