French Aire De Repos

Hi everybody - is there a list / book / web site where the Aire's on the French main roads are listed? We are planning to go south from Calais to Spain in November when a lot of the 'proper sites' will be closed. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks Brian

If you buy a european map it has all the Aires clearly marked on them, on your return trip lthough most of the Aires heading into calais are now closed due to the problems with illegals so do not count on them. Their is only the BP open just prior to calais which is normally manned by police 24/7.

I have always maintained a 100 k limit for stopping heading towards calais, although this is no longer far enough. I stopped in Brussels on Tuesday night with my sealed trailer and drove directly into calais yesterday morning. However upon arrival in port after going through the scanner the dogs found 4 illegals in the back of my trailer.

Be aware the illegal immigrant problem is worse than ever at the moment, keep everything locked and secured.

As said by others, It is not advisable to overnight on motorway Aires due to the possibility of robbery. many towns & villages have "camping car Aires" & Vicarious books do a book that lists them,BUT these are for motor homes,caravans are not usually allowed on them.

I think the CC,s caravan europe vol 1 lists sites open all year

We are planning to go south from Calais to Spain in November when a lot of the 'proper sites' will be closed.

I'm also travelling to southern Spain at the end of November. My first night will be spent at Baie du Somme near to Abbelville on the A16. It's a large aire with filling station and also parking bays marked for caravans - although HGVs tend to overflow into them. The area is visited throughout the night by the traffic gendarmerie. My second night will be on a site - Camping Futuriste just off the A10 close to Poitiers. In previous years I've stoped at night at Antrans service area on the A10. Another good one - a bit further down the A10 is at Fenioux. On all of them you need to park early because they fill with HGVs.

My third night will be on a site at San Sebastian - Camping Igueldo. Fourth night on the site at Aranhuez, south of Madrid. Each day is a run of around 300 miles.

If you're looking for service area to stop on, the one at Cestas south of Bordeaux is good - but again you need to park early because it gets very crowded. It's as well to stop near to the entrance and take a walk otherwise you'll find yourself on the exit road.

Just over the border into Spain, about 100 yards after the tollbooth, there's a filling station off to the right. Up the hill behind the station there's a huge lorry park but you need to be able to reverse into the bays.

On the AP1 leading to Burgos. miss the first service area. Take Briviesca or Quintanapalla for overnighting. At both, it's possible to park close to the pump/shop area. Once on the A1, a good parking area is at the filling station at KM150.

Edited by John Douglas

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

At Aire de la Baie de Somme there is a dedicated caravan/motorhome 'cul-de-sac' - HGV's can't get on there because there is a narrow chicane-type entrance. To access it go straight across at the roundabout then the road bends around to the left - continue right to the end, turn sharp left (but not a difficult entry even with a caravan) and there are bays on either side of a cul-de-sac with a turning circle at the end.

Edited by ValA

Hi everybody - is there a list / book / web site where the Aire's on the French main roads are listed? We are planning to go south from Calais to Spain in November when a lot of the 'proper sites' will be closed. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks Brian

if you go down via the A16,N1, A28, to Rouen. fill up at abbeville intermarche, (caravan friendly site)

down the N154 from rouen, there is a camping site at vert en drouaix, near dreux, just off the N12.

camping des etangs de marsalin, open all year. fill up at cora just down the road towards dreux.

then down to Clermont-ferrand, ceyrat, municipal, open all year, then down to pepignan via A75/N9 (free), i think there are some sites open all year in that area.

check out campingfrance. com

you can miss the toll on the Millau bridge and go around the town, fill up at Geant just off main road ( caravan friendly site)

if you want a route toll free, pm me.

have a look at vayacamping for spain.

none of us recommend overnight stays on Aires, too many robberies, from vans.

far better to find a site near to motorways.

cheers rodders B)

Edited by rodders68

It depends on which part of Spain you are heading for but if its South West and you are crossing the country via Madrid, Camping Larrouleta at Urrugne (exit A63 J2 St Jean de luz south) is open all year, close to the motorway and an excellant halt. 56Km North of Madrid Camping picos de la Meil (ACSI) is close to the road and again a good halt.

I've just got the latest Vicarious Books, Aires in France, and it is bang up to date if you are in a motorhome.