How Do They Decide Tow Car Of The Year?

dysopath

Before I was interested in caravanning I used to watch top gear, they reaconed that a little 1. 5 Kia was tow car of the year???

What do the 'tow car judges' base their findings on because surely a large 4x4 would be a better idea if they were recommending something?

Am I missing something or just being nieve?

What do the 'tow car judges' base their findings on because surely a large 4x4 would be a better idea if they were recommending something?

You can read how the cars were judged here:

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/about-us/press-centre/press-releases/2011/september/caravan-club-towcar-of-the-year-2012-results/

http://www. campingandcaravanningclub. co. uk/newsandevents/towcarawards/towcar-awards-2011/

Why does a "large 4X4" make a better towcar ??? There are many, many "better" tow cars that are NOT 4X4 IMHO . .. and many many combinations that have no need. I really don't see why a single axle 2 berth needs a Range Rover to tow it ???

I tow a 1600Kg 'van without a 4X4 . . very comfortably at the equivalent of 40mpg thank you very much . .. :)

Why does a "large 4X4" make a better towcar ??? There are many, many "better" tow cars that are NOT 4X4 IMHO . .. and many many combinations that have no need. I really don't see why a single axle 2 berth needs a Range Rover to tow it ???

I tow a 1600Kg 'van without a 4X4 . . very comfortably at the equivalent of 40mpg thank you very much . .. :)

Hi Entwood. What have you got that returns 40mpg towing?. Is that the figure that the manufacturers on-board computer tells you or is it factual and worked out from mileage divided by gallons used, or litres divided by 4. 5461 to calculate the gallons?.

Is your van loaded too 1600kgs or is that the MTPLM?.

I tow a 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco with an MTPLM of 1750kgs but the actual towed weight is never above 1650kgs.

My 2000 (W) Volvo V70 2. 4T geartronic returns 20. 5mpg consistantly and when not towing and not pottering about it gives out 28/33mpg.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

my Insignia gives me 34 mpg pulling an olympus 534 (1500kg fully loaded I reckon),40mpg sounds a tall tale with a heavy van

It constantly amazes me how some contributors achieve fantastic economy whilst the rest of us look on with envy! If this forum is here to genuinely help others then it will fail in that task so long as people offer advice or information that seems to come from a "personal agenda".

Take for example tow cars. We all - well I hope most of us - are satisfied with our towing vehicle, not least because we bought it! An admission that it performs badly or only achieves 20mpg when others get 30mpg only suggests our judgement was wrong and a poor purchase was made. I can understand this - we all want to be seen as wise and successful but there again hand up the man or woman who has never made an error of judgement later regretted!

To be of real use to others strands that focus on "facts" must be honest. Those that revolve around "opinion" are quite different and we often read with interest and bewilderment some of the claims made here and the views expressed.

And why not!

We are all entitled to our own opinion but please let's keep facts to facts!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Before I was interested in caravanning I used to watch top gear, they reaconed that a little 1. 5 Kia was tow car of the year???

Car manufacturers deliver a wheelbarrow full of cash to the homes of the judges

2021 Swift Sienna Super 4SB

As there seems to be no rules as to what can enter I suggest this motor :D

post-43771-0-88663400-1318495864_thumb.jpg

Using the word "equivalent", I would hazard a guess at LPG.

Hi Nick. Yes,but to do a true comparative the costs of LPG against the cost of regular fuel needs to be number crunched.

It would be interesting for Entwood to put up his calculations.

LPG is fine if someone else has paid for the conversion on a pre-owned car,the new installation costs are high and need massive mileages to recoup. Albeit I believe that it is more beneficial than the differences between petrol & diesel, again over high mileage.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

IMO They seem to take it in turns to win . If a car manufacturer brings ot a new model and it is submitted it seems to win . Then you find that the model that won the year before does not win the next year even though no other vehicles have been released to come in as good .

Dave

How do they decide ???

Well a bunch of so called "experts" with nothing better too do spend a few days playing around with some cars and caravans that have been lent too them and then they decide "in their expert opinion"which one is best. It is all printed up at great expence and sent too people like myself who put it straight in a recycle bin. I did here that some of them are actually caravanners but i cant see it myself.

peter.

Cars have changed amazingly over recent years and it is easy to overlook this.

Our 306 was 800kg and we repalced it with a 307 in exactly the same level of kit but that weighs in at 1300kg. The supermini Golf has grown into a lumbering giant of 1400kg and probably has nearly doubled in weight from its Mk1 days.

So the "small" car has jumped up in weight and can now be considered as a contender for towing a small van.

But then they say vans are getting heavier too!

I remember this episode well. It was where thet set fire to the caravan and someone's awning I believe. They were in fact towing with a Kia but not the one that was TCOTY at the time.

Very funny episode IMO but there was a huge uproar in certain circles !!

The Kia had been TCOY in its class which was obviously the lightest category, so TG`s assertions whilst not incorrect, could also be seen as somewhat disingenuous.

I don`t really see what all the complaints are about with TCOY, they are categorised on cost, which is usually my starting point when buying a car. If I can`t afford a certain vehicle then it doesn`t matter how heavy it is, what it will tow etc as its just not relevent to me.

Manufacturers are invited to supply qualifying vehicles, if they do then they are tested - if they don`t then you are left to draw your own conclusions.

IMO They seem to take it in turns to win . If a car manufacturer brings ot a new model and it is submitted it seems to win . Then you find that the model that won the year before does not win the next year even though no other vehicles have been released to come in as good .

Dave

I may be wrong but I believe in the CC TCOY the car has to be a new model released that year so previous contenders are not eligible. In the C&CC TC Award it looks as if the class winners from the previous year are also retested against the new models.

The CC TCOY class winners are arrived at by grading each car according to various towing, driving, space and ownership criteria. But the final TCOY award is chosen from the class winners by secret vote of the judges . ... who mostly seem to be motoring journalists who presumably have a lot of experience of driving different cars (but not necessarily much experience of paying to do so!). How much experience they have of towing caravans I'm not sure.

Edited by lottie

Reading the article on TCOTY is interesting but I would never use it to define my choice of vehicle. When you read some of the opinions a large number of the vehicles come out pretty close to each other andin fact some journalists often prefer the ones that are not top, so it is horses for courses. They also only look at the models performance on that particular day, there is no mention of how each will peform long term for example.

Most of us have to compromise on what we buy, whether it be new or secondhand, so have to live with any failings. That does not mean to say it will not do what we ask of it, and give us pleasure.

I'd wager that in reality I won't see any new VW Jetta's towing Caravans any time soon. I can't see a good enough reason to spend £23k on a car with such low towing ability (based on weights and availability of better).

A basic 2ltr TDCI 140ps mondeo is £20k and I'm sure they are plenty of similar cars like Vauxhall Insignia etc etc

If they can't include such as they are not new this year then its makes a nonsense of the test in my opinion.

I'd wager that in reality I won't see any new VW Jetta's towing Caravans any time soon. I can't see a good enough reason to spend £23k on a car with such low towing ability (based on weights and availability of better).

A basic 2ltr TDCI 140ps mondeo is £20k and I'm sure they are plenty of similar cars like Vauxhall Insignia etc etc

If they can't include such as they are not new this year then its makes a nonsense of the test in my opinion.

Never mind the Jetta towing your van - you can't even put your dog in it. ...

As requested . . the calculations . ... and those who guessed . . guessed right . . LPG . . Installed 3 years and 37169 miles ago . .. more than paid for itself in the savings obtained. Savings are calculated over the whole period, not just isolated trips . .. yes I'm sad enough to keep an accurate Excel spreadsheet . . :(

Working on "costs /per mile" the average saving is around 10p/mile . . so over 37000 miles thats £3700 . . the conversion cost me £2200 so I'm £1500 "up" today if you wish to calculate it that way.

Detailed calculations : Using "whole period" figures. ...

Over 37169 miles I have spent £ 5462. 14 on LPG that works out at 546214/37169 = 14. 6954 pence /mile

Petrol price around here presently 138. 9 p/litre x 4. 54 = £6:30. 6 a gall

630. 6 / 14. 6954 = 42. 91 equivalent miles/gall

Now if I compared the price to the price of diesel I could claim and even higher mpg . . but it would be unfair as I drive a 3. 2 V6 petrol. The ECU gives an average fuel consumption for petrol - which it still thinks its using - of 25. 24 over the last 4712 miles which works out at 24. 98 pence /mile . . it is on figures like that I base my "savings" figure of 10 p/mile.

I don't calculate figures for individual trips as they are too variable to be accurate. ... IMHO

Hope this is what you were after :)

As requested . . the calculations . ... and those who guessed . . guessed right . . LPG . . Installed 3 years and 37169 miles ago . .. more than paid for itself in the savings obtained. Savings are calculated over the whole period, not just isolated trips . .. yes I'm sad enough to keep an accurate Excel spreadsheet . . :(

Working on "costs /per mile" the average saving is around 10p/mile . . so over 37000 miles thats £3700 . . the conversion cost me £2200 so I'm £1500 "up" today if you wish to calculate it that way.

Detailed calculations : Using "whole period" figures. ...

Over 37169 miles I have spent £ 5462. 14 on LPG that works out at 546214/37169 = 14. 6954 pence /mile

Petrol price around here presently 138. 9 p/litre x 4. 54 = £6:30. 6 a gall

630. 6 / 14. 6954 = 42. 91 equivalent miles/gall

Now if I compared the price to the price of diesel I could claim and even higher mpg . . but it would be unfair as I drive a 3. 2 V6 petrol. The ECU gives an average fuel consumption for petrol - which it still thinks its using - of 25. 24 over the last 4712 miles which works out at 24. 98 pence /mile . . it is on figures like that I base my "savings" figure of 10 p/mile.

I don't calculate figures for individual trips as they are too variable to be accurate. ... IMHO

Hope this is what you were after :)

Hi Entwood. I used to do all of this and more but with Pencil & Paper. Although you have quoted your current petrol price at £1:38. 9p you don't say what your current LPG is. Also your calculation to be strictly accurate should be converted as 4. 5461 litres/gal.

I have just filled up with petrol for our trip to the NEC tomorrow PM staying over at a 'Lenny Henry' close to the airport/NEC.

I paid £1:30. 7p and LPG in Lancashire is currently 73. 4p/litre. It can be bought from an LPG supplier for 43. 99p/litre.

Surely the only accurate way to evaluate the LPG consumption is the 'Old Fashioned' way. Litres bought/used divided by 4. 5461 to give the gallonage. Then your mileage divided by the gallons used.

TTR

Currently I pay 73. 2 p/litre for LPG how I wish i could get it at 43. 99 . ... that would give me the equivalent of 80 mpg :) The reason for using the "pence per mile" method is quite simple . .. LPG and petrol are different. ... especially in Specific Gravity. Now every engine ever built burns a MASS (weight) of fuel . . not a volume . ... a mass of air is mixed with a mass of fuel. If the Specific Fuel Consumption of the engines was compared in grammes then they would burn the same. ... but LPG weighs less than petrol so you get "less" of it per litre (gallon) by about 20%.

We buy fuel in Volume (ltrs) but use it in mass (grams), LPG and petrol are not equivalent in these terms, so in order to compare we need to obtain a common factor. The common factor I use is the "cost per mile" as explained above. ... otherwise you are comparing apples to pears.

This method can also be used to compare the costs of diesel to petrol accurately . . as they too are different fuels priced differently . ... :)

HTH

Edited by Entwood

Hi Entwood. My understanding of LPG is that it is a mix of Propane & Butane,both are wet gases. Why therefore do you not simply calculate the mpg of LPG on the physical liquid in the tank/cylinder. The differentials that you speak of are a fact of disadvantage,surely that should be calculated in,not separated out. After all they both start off as liquid and the end product is motion created by Suck,Squeeze,Bang & Blow. The money for each is initially purchasing liquid by the gallon,it necessarily follows that the only logical way of comparison is gallon for gallon.