Route Advice From South Manchester To Pembrokeshire

Hi all.

We are looking to visit Pembrokeshire for the first time next year and I am looking for advice on a route from south Manchester down to the Tenby/Pembrokeshire area. Sat nav and Google obviously take a direct route, but it looks a bit hilly.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Wardie

I imagine your Sat Nav may take you across North Wales and down the West Coast of Wales, through Aberystwyth etc. This is a picturesque road but not a particularly easy or relaxing route with a few steep inclines and sharp corners etc.

Personally speaking I would take the M5 South of Birmingham and then join the M4 all the way to St Clears and then the A road to tenby which I believe is the A477. You could also take the heads of the valley route near Abergavenny or the M50 to bypass the Severn bridge toll. Heads of the Valley is steep in places though. As previously stated, PERSONALLY, I would take the M4 and M5 as I find motorway towing much easier and less tiring but it's upto you whether you prefer A/B road towing or motorways.

Ian

Across to Chester then down the A483 to Newtown. A470 to Aberystwyth then A487 to Cardigan. From Cardigan the A478 to Tenby is one of my favourite routes to south west Pembrokeshire.

Across to Chester then down the A483 to Newtown. A470 to Aberystwyth then A487 to Cardigan. From Cardigan the A478 to Tenby is one of my favourite routes to south west Pembrokeshire.

This is the route I take, I think I have tried them all and this is by far the easiest. The road to newtown is a really good road easy to tow along, the section to Aberystwith is hilly and a bit windy for the middle section avfter llangurig over the mountains. The coast road from Aberystwith. Cardigan is all very easy and then the last section is a perfectly adequate road for towing along.

Some would say turn right at Welshpool and goto Aberystwith that way but I followed their advice this last summer and regretted it. Going south from Newtown to Builth is a long and very winding road, with high banks at the side that restrict ant views and if you get behind something slower on that section you will still be behind them 80 miles later. Going down the motorway and across the M4 is lot longer, it adds well over 100 miles onto the journey and is one of the most boring journeys you will find.

It takes me just over 5 hours of driving with the van behind me going from Rochdale to Tenby going via Newtown and Abefrystwith

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Wardie

I live in West Wales and have some knowledge of the roads and actually made the trip from Carmarthenshire to Stockport last week.

As you are going to South East Pembs (Tenby) my recommendation would be slightly different. I would suggest the following :- across to Chester, A 483 to Newtown, I would then recommend that you follow the A 470 south past Llangurig on through Rhayader and down to Newbridge on Wye.

At Newbridge on Wye take the B road across the top to Beulah /Treflys where you rejoin the A 483 (this cuts out Builth Wells), continue south along the A40 to St Clears and then follow the A 477 to Tenby. In my opinion even though this route is slightly longer than taking the A483 via Llandrindod Wells, its a much better road and the scenery is great.

The B road between Newbridge and Beulah is very good, but there is 1 steep section where the road narrows for about 50 yards and there is a set of traffic lights to control the traffic flow. Traffic volume is light and in reality it is highly unlikely you will have to stop. If you have a sensible outfit even if you had to stop you wouldn't have a problem. Artics negotiate the route and I did it with what i know now to be a poorly matched outfit a few years ago. If you are towing, overtaking places are at a premium on all roads in mid wales, so it doesnt matter which route you take. There are some sizable laybys for stopping and there is an excellent burger van between Llandovery and Llanwrda,

There is 1 caveat to this, if you are travelling down in the 3rd week of July you will need to be mindful of the Royal Welsh Show which takes place in Builth Wells. The roads are very busy with slow moving horse lorries etc in the immediate run up to the show and during the show and I would recommend taking an alternative route.

If you were going to West Pembs- St Davids or Fishguard then you need to take the coast road via Aberystwyth.

M

majorraglan

Twenty six years ago I used that route to tow my caravan from Chester to Manorbier, as twenty years earlier I regularly travelled that way on business, without caravan, in the west Wales area.

However, returning to Chester from Manorbier I used the route via Aberystwyth and found it much easier and quicker than my journey to Manorbier.

DeeTee

Dee Tee,

Was this before the Bypasses at Carmarthen and Llandeilo were built? The road near Tenby has also been improved during the last few years, its still a single carriageway buts its better than it was. You may be right, but my personal experience is that the Rhayader road is quieter and faster and an easier drive, but that maybe me. I find the Aberystwyth road busier and slower because of traffic volumes and congestion in some of the villages, and I find the Llandod route the worst of all as its twisty and hilly.

The route planners show that there isn't a huge amount in it, timings vary between sites but they all show via Aberystwyth is shortest in distance but the longest re times and the A483 through Llandrindod Wells as the quickest, Rhayader is the longest re distance but coming in between both the others re timings.

Its all a matter of choice and personal preference, but all three routes are quite scenic and better than the motorway.

M

majorraglan

Forty five years ago New Hedges had not been by-passed and large sections of the motorway system were being built. In recent years I have had the misfortune to tow to Pembrokeshire from Oxfordshire and do not enjoy the "Head of the Valleys" route and especially don't like the Motorway route.

DeeTee

Edited by DeeTee

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I didn't expect so much information so quickly. This is great. It will be beginning of August so I will miss the Show.

All this has raised another question, I will have 2 children under 10 in the car, so toilet and food breaks are a must. This is where motorways have the advantage: good parking, toilets and a chance to stock up on refreshments. The non-motorway routes sound great but does anyone have advice for stops with children in tow??

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I didn't expect so much information so quickly. This is great. It will be beginning of August so I will miss the Show.

All this has raised another question, I will have 2 children under 10 in the car, so toilet and food breaks are a must. This is where motorways have the advantage: good parking, toilets and a chance to stock up on refreshments. The non-motorway routes sound great but does anyone have advice for stops with children in tow??

You must be joking, usually have to park in lorry area which smells like a urinal & of diesel. Or the caravan area if there is one has cars or coaches in it

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

Lots and lots of laybies along the route through Aber, many of them in very dcenic places. You have a caravan in tow so there is a toilet available and from my experience of kids of that age they just love a picnic.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

• 3 years later...

Wardie

I live in West Wales and have some knowledge of the roads and actually made the trip from Carmarthenshire to Stockport last week.

As you are going to South East Pembs (Tenby) my recommendation would be slightly different. I would suggest the following :- across to Chester, A 483 to Newtown, I would then recommend that you follow the A 470 south past Llangurig on through Rhayader and down to Newbridge on Wye.

At Newbridge on Wye take the B road across the top to Beulah /Treflys where you rejoin the A 483 (this cuts out Builth Wells), continue south along the A40 to St Clears and then follow the A 477 to Tenby. In my opinion even though this route is slightly longer than taking the A483 via Llandrindod Wells, its a much better road and the scenery is great.

The B road between Newbridge and Beulah is very good, but there is 1 steep section where the road narrows for about 50 yards and there is a set of traffic lights to control the traffic flow. Traffic volume is light and in reality it is highly unlikely you will have to stop. If you have a sensible outfit even if you had to stop you wouldn't have a problem. Artics negotiate the route and I did it with what i know now to be a poorly matched outfit a few years ago. If you are towing, overtaking places are at a premium on all roads in mid wales, so it doesnt matter which route you take. There are some sizable laybys for stopping and there is an excellent burger van between Llandovery and Llanwrda,

There is 1 caveat to this, if you are travelling down in the 3rd week of July you will need to be mindful of the Royal Welsh Show which takes place in Builth Wells. The roads are very busy with slow moving horse lorries etc in the immediate run up to the show and during the show and I would recommend taking an alternative route.

If you were going to West Pembs- St Davids or Fishguard then you need to take the coast road via Aberystwyth.

M

Sorry to resurrect on old thread but we're travelling from the direction of Presteigne to Tenby on Sunday 19th July returning on Friday 24th July. It seems that the best route takes us on the A481 and then A483 through Builth Wells but I've just checked the show dates: Monday 20th to Thursday 23rd July. Are we going to get in to problems on the days immediately either side of the show?

Another option for us would be to track north of the Brecon Beacons National Park by picking up the A4111 at Kington, following the A438 through Hay on Wye, then taking the A470 to Brecon and A40 to Llandovery and onwards.

A couple of issues with the routes suggested. Rhayader town centre can be tricky to negotiate at times, especially with logging trucks coming through. It's only about 200 yards but you have to rely on the good sense of oncoming traffic to give way when busy. Should be OK on Saturdays and especially Sundays tho. Newtown can take a while to get through at busy times, even at weekends.

My preference would be to head for Shrewsbury then take the A49 to Leominster and then A44/A4112/A438/A470 to Hay on Wye and join the A40 at Brecon. (You can even bypass Leominster by taking the B4362 at Wooferton to join the B4361 at Orleton which shortly becomes the B5362 s/p Presteigne then rt onto the A4110 at Mortimers Cross to join the A44 as above. This is a decent towing route)

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450