2012 Price Rises?

SEPTIKANGEL

Annual visit to the NEC - lots of advice to buy now before price increases. :huh:

WHAT price increases can be justified at a time when job losses are rife, savings are getting little or no interest, elctric, gas & petrol prices are still rising, UK manufacturing is apparently faltering, etc.

JUST WHO DO THEY THINK IS GOING TO BUY CARAVANS IF THIS CARRIES ON!

I'm keeping the one I've got. ;)

I second that. Nothing wrong with the van I have at the moment. :)

Doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

maybe in our opinion the price increases cant be justified but the prices will still rise.

More and more '' newbies'' are taking up touring, mainly due to the increase overall in holidays in the uk and abroad. If the current financial climate wasnt how it is right now we would have never taken up touring ( new to it this year ) we still would be jet setting. There will always be new comers that just accept '' the price '' :rolleyes: a little like us really. ...lol thats what the manufacturers are hoping for!!

having a touring van gives us the flexibility for main holidays and weekends / bank holidays that otherwise we we would just be at home and not be able to justify spending a fortune on a holiday. ............instead we spend a fortune on a van :D BUT its cost effective in the long run!!!

Unfortunately, although I sympathise with your comment you are not looking at the whole picture. Caravans are made up of components which are subject to market forces. Also, although it was sneaked in, the pound has been effectively devalued by 25% over the last couple of years so anything priced in another currency will be more expensive. This is one reason why although oil prices have dropped, our forecourt prices have not.

The news channels have been full of stories about how higher prices are going to hit us all, although many of them are scaremongering. But we will still see general rises in items we have taken for granted for a long while, especially food.

The other kicker is higher prices for new caravans will be reflected in higher prices for 2nd hand ones, as people look more to them, and others just keep what they have.

Maybe the Euro Lottery is a good bet these days.

I can afford a newer van but to be honest we don't use it enough to justify spending thousands on a caravan. first one cost £350, sold it for £250 after having 4 years use of it,this one £600 its got a glued broken window, looks a bit unsightly but it's water tight and I don't worry about it sitting up in storage no one will steal lol . Last year at the caravan show I overheard a couple discussing a new van we happened to be viewing at the same time,their van they had then was only 2 years old but her sister and husband had recently got a new one and the one they were viewing was much better than theirs so they wanted it :o

Annual visit to the NEC - lots of advice to buy now before price increases. :huh:

WHAT price increases can be justified at a time when job losses are rife, savings are getting little or no interest, elctric, gas & petrol prices are still rising, UK manufacturing is apparently faltering, etc.

JUST WHO DO THEY THINK IS GOING TO BUY CARAVANS IF THIS CARRIES ON!

I'm keeping the one I've got. ;)

Each year we get told to buy before the price increase. ....... Now there could be a price increase. .. Prices of raw materials have gone up as has fuel and electricity. But how much can they increase the prices before they lose sales? There have been some huge discounts this year on new vans and almost new second hand vans. Older 3 to 5 year old vans seem to be strong sellers and prices are still quite strong. There is a market for van sales still it is just now it seems buyers have the most power to keep prices at a reasonable level for now.

I can afford a newer van but to be honest we don't use it enough to justify spending thousands on a caravan. first one cost £350, sold it for £250 after having 4 years use of it,this one £600 its got a glued broken window, looks a bit unsightly but it's water tight and I don't worry about it sitting up in storage no one will steal lol . Last year at the caravan show I overheard a couple discussing a new van we happened to be viewing at the same time,their van they had then was only 2 years old but her sister and husband had recently got a new one and the one they were viewing was much better than theirs so they wanted it :o

I'm with Daisymaisy. I don't buy a 'van or anything else for that matter, just to keep up with the Jones' I might possibly be looking to chop my current 3 year old 'van in for a new one within the next 12 months purely because of the internal headroom. Being 6'3" I find the newer caravans with the higher head room more appealing.

For the same reason as Daisy, I don't use my caravan often enough to jusify spending 20K. ..which is a shame as I'd love to be away every weekend in it. ... oh well. .....

Now where did I put that winning lotto ticket. ....

Regards,

Diefer

we saw vans at the show that cost more than I paid for my house lol it's madness

That's why I didn't go this year. Really fell in love with the Sterling Eccles Coral earlier this year. But damned if I'm gonna pay nearly 20K for it's replacement for next year. ....

Yes I know where your comming from. .and it makes sense.

My side of the coin, I dont smoke, or stand in a pub, kid's have flown the nest, no morgage,getting near to retirment, so why not, :) .

Stevenj

You would think that cost saving techniques and new materials might help even to lower the price of a caravan but we're easy meat for them.

I used to work for a well known power tool company and we were told by a big DIY company that our prices were too high and that's why they sourced stuff from China, our lot soon dropped their prices to get the sales.

Jim

Why do you always shout!

Who's shouting?

It's only 'shouting' when someone is writing in Capital letters. ...

Diefer

Who's shouting?

It's only 'shouting' when someone is writing in Capital letters. ...

Diefer

OK. posting very loud.

The forum Admin have no issues with the way daisymay chooses to format the text in the posts.

GPS

we saw vans at the show that cost more than I paid for my house lol it's madness

Every van at the show cost more than we paid for our house !! £6500. 00 back in 19701! :D

And since when did you become the font ettiquet cop of caravan talk :P

I have forgotten what the original post was. :blink:

Doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

And since when did you become the font ettiquet cop of caravan talk :P

Keep on as you are Daisymaisy, Some entertaining posts and reads and very easy to read in the mornings when I have just got up :D :D .

People like me for one, on an inflation proof pension care of HM government, sound investment, (that includes caravans), no mortgage.

modest living standards, attended show last year and bought new, also attended this year and bought new again, will continue to do so until I decide it is time to stop caravaning, also now pay more for caravans than for the houses I have bought, but then I suspect so have a lot of elder folk.

2012 Lunar Clubman SE, Honda CRV 2010 auto

Archived