Dartford Crossing Suspend Tolls ?

Doosan

Hi all,just heard on our local news that Boris the hair of London would like to have the tolls suspended when the olympic games start,because it might put people off going to the games, and might cause congestion at the Blackwall Tunnel. Funny when it comes to losing money they (the powers that be) can do what they like.

Read here http://www. london. gov. uk/media/press_releases_mayoral/mayor-calls-dartford-toll-be-suspended-during-games

Doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

He probably considers the income from the games will offset the difference.

Cost of toll v cost of ticket?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The proposed increases in the toll are to reduce congestion by dissuading people from using the Dartford crossing.

Where on earth do they think people will find an alternative crossing?

Extra ferry boat at Woolwich?

New bore in the Balckwall/Rotherhithe tunnels?

Good ol Boris, absolutely barking but I quite like the guy. Gave me a free oyster card for 4 years. ..and any other war pensioner that wants one. Saved me a small fortune that has.

Greenwich and Newham gave planning permission for a new bridge at Gallions Reach back in 2005 - unfortunately a few 'NIMBYs' in Bexley objected and it had to go to a public enquiry, which our brilliant Blair government managed to '***** up' completely and called for a re-enquiry. After many millions of pounds being spent on these enquirys it was decided to 'postpone' the project!!

Had work started on the bridge when planning was granted this bridge would be up and running by now - especially considering most of the 'landside' infrastructure was already in place. OK it would be another toll bridge BUT it would have been a great alternative to the Ferry and Blackwall Tunnel.

hi boris is barking mad just like the shower he belongs to [ tories] when i lived in bexly kent the local paper read that when the bridge was built 5 years after it was paid for there be no tolls its a joke like this govt . tom

hi boris is barking mad just like the shower he belongs to [ tories] when i lived in bexly kent the local paper read that when the bridge was built 5 years after it was paid for there be no tolls its a joke like this govt . tom

So why didn't the previous shower do something about it?

Sorry tom you have lost me! The Bridge (Dartford) is not controlled by Bexley but comes under the Ministry of Transport (or what ever they call themselves these days) so Labours had many years to change the system. :unsure:

Not only did they not scrap the tolls when they should have done, they sold the franchise to a foreign company.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Do you think they will suspend the Humber bridge tolls at the same time just in case anyone from up north might want to see what all the fuss is about

Oops, can I say that the Scottish Government eliminated tolls on all bridges up here when they took over. It certainly cut the congestion queing. Like others have mentioned the tolls were introduced to pay for the bridge, but when that ceased they were kept for 'maintenance costs'. Of course they then just became a tax revenue and often paid the staff to collect the money and process it.

As for the Olympics I plan to keep well away as I gather the roads will be chokka while the 'nobs' drive along their Zil lanes and the rest sit and wait.

Everything will be fine remember we are all in it together

Not only did they not scrap the tolls when they should have done, they sold the franchise to a foreign company.

The operation of the Dartford Crossing was put out to tender which a French Autoroute operator won. ...not surprising as they had plenty of experience at toll charging.

Now run since Jan 2010, on behalf of the Highways Agency, by Connect Plus a consortium of

Balfour Beatty

Skanska

Atkins

Egis

Archived