Fireworks Landing On Caravan Roof

peterjohn

Hi Guys, I wonder if anyone out there has had the same experience as us. Last November (guy fawkes).

we had a rather large spent rocket land on our caravan roof. the stick was 10mm square x 300 mm long.

We were lucky? it landed fair and square on the toilet rooflight, we dread to think what could have happened. Now of course we are again wondering if it could happen again and what could we do to prevent it?. The only thing that we can think of is some visqueen (damp proof membrane) stretched over the top with some soft packing spacers inbetween.

Has anybody got a better solution? Peter.

Some larger rockets have pointed plastic caps on the tip that would puncture a caravan aluminium roof if they came down on it .

A tarp folded over a couple of times over a blanket and tied down over the roof would help cushion the impact . It would only need to be covered for a couple of weeks for the firework period .

Dave

If you are piling on blankets add a few pieces of kindling

if its going to burn make a good job of it.

A rocket from a neighbours display crashed under our porch

and burnt hard for several seconds, setting fire to a seat cushion.

They paid up, no quibbling.

http://answers. yahoo. com/question/index?qid=20090125120751AAXjrcY

What goes up must come down!

How many deaths per a year are caused by 'falling bullets'? Thank goodness we don't have guns.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

If you are piling on blankets add a few pieces of kindling

if its going to burn make a good job of it.

No different to having a cover over a caravan ?

Hi Guys, I wonder if anyone out there has had the same experience as us. Last November (guy fawkes).

we had a rather large spent rocket land on our caravan roof. the stick was 10mm square x 300 mm long.

Had a similar experience a few years ago when a large rocket landed on the bonnet of our towcar, causing such damage that the bonnet was replaced under OUR insurance as although we knew where the rocket came from, we couldn't prove it. The car was parked adjacent to the caravan at the time, and had the rocket hit the caravan, I am convinced it would have punctured the roof!

Gordon.

P0003922a.jpg

P0003921a.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

the rocket in the above post has malfunctioned, in so far as the stick should have detached from the body. According to fireworks regulations, no one piece of debris should weigh more than 125 grammes. Also if a stick is not weighted at one end, it will not fall like an arrow, but drift down slowly horizontally. I have been firing displays for around 20 years and have been on countless training courses

http://answers. yahoo. ..25120751AAXjrcY

What goes up must come down!

How many deaths per a year are caused by 'falling bullets'? Thank goodness we don't have guns.

Mythbusters looked at this. A bullet fired more or less straight up will keep going up until it runs out of energy, then it will fall back to earth, accelerating until it reaches its terminal velocity and at terminal velocity it will not be going fast enough to kill you, even if it hit you on the head.

A bullet fired at a shallow angle which starts back down, before it has slowed down much, is a different story though.

Trevor and Dave I could believe you BUT I hope I never get hit in the head with falling rockets or bullets

Billy

I attended an Austin 7 Rally once and they had a flying display of model aircraft.

An out of control aircraft manage to go through the roof of a van quite easily.

I think the owners where watching the display outside the van at the time. :o

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Thank goodness we don't have guns.

I disagree, we should all be allowed to carry firearms. There would be no muggings if the mugger was aware that he would get his head blown off for his troubles.

I realise that my views may be considered extreme. They are not really my views, they are just s talking point and it would be better not to talk about them.

Archived