2 Batteries

reevsie

I am looking at fitting a second battery so my battery to my van. I am putting it on the opposite side of the van to balance out the weight. and run the wires under the chasis.

What size wire should I use as the length of the wire will be about 3 meters when I have routed the wire under the chasis.

Both batteries are 110A. Is an nline fuse needed or an isolater sweitch?

If you have a Motormover you will need to use a cable of at least 60amps to link the other battery as it will try and draw power from the other battery and using cables of a lower amperage will cause the cables to overheat . You would need a 80 amp in line fuse fitted for safety .

Dave

That's not an easy question to answer. It depends on what is likely to be the maximum load on both batteries and the maximum charging current. You could also look at the thickness of the cables currently connected to the battery and replicate those.

Use this table to give you an idea, for my purposes 4AWG would be what I would use.

http://wiki. xtronics. com/index. php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity

Regards,

Steve

You MUST always fuse a battery. If a short circuit occurs you will have a real emergency on your hands. A fire or an explosion or both.

110 amps of stored energy take no prisoners.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I am looking at fitting a second battery so my battery to my van. I am putting it on the opposite side of the van to balance out the weight. and run the wires under the chasis.

What size wire should I use as the length of the wire will be about 3 meters when I have routed the wire under the chasis.

Both batteries are 110A. Is an nline fuse needed or an isolater sweitch?

Hi Reevsie. Your first consideration is a Sealed Battery Box with access & ventilation from outside.

Everything else is secondary.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Archived