Just thought I would let you know that we were informed by the receptionist at La Citadelle, Loches that the site will not be taking Camping Cheques next year. They are, however, joining the ACSI scheme and it will cost 16. 5 Euros per night.

She said that there will be 4 tariffs in the ACSI scheme next year.

Many of you on here, like us, use this site as it is a very convenient stop-over when going south from Caen or Cherbourg so thought I would let you all know.

La Citadelle is already in the ACSI scheme -> La Citadelle

Sounds like they just want more money per night.

Looks like next years ACSI Prices will be €12, €14 & €16, see HERE

Edited by CaravanLady

Pauline

A lot of sites seem to be going that way. I wonder if Camping Cheques are pricing themselves out of the market. As you say its a very nice site and an easy walk into the town.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Camping Les Cerisiers du Jaur are also not accepting Camping Cheques next year - we've stayed there three times now, because it's near to our storage site, but the owner told us this was their last year with Camping Cheques.

I think the reason campsite owners like ACSI is because they actually get the payment when you leave - with Camping Cheques they then have the bureaucracy of applying for the money they're owed.

I think there may always be a 'core' of sites - because the owners of those sites started up the consortium which became the Camping Cheques organisation - but as ACSI becomes more popular then I'm sure other sites will be looking at the options.

It will be interesting to see just how many extra sites there are in the ACSI scheme for 2012.

Just a word of wording the area around Loches, Velancay etc is renowned for robberies by the traveling fraternity.

Be extra careful if approached by young women asking for donations to any sort of charity. We were robbed of a lot of Euro whilst in LeClerc in Valencay during August.

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

Camping Les Cerisiers du Jaur are also not accepting Camping Cheques next year - we've stayed there three times now, because it's near to our storage site, but the owner told us this was their last year with Camping Cheques.

I think the reason campsite owners like ACSI is because they actually get the payment when you leave - with Camping Cheques they then have the bureaucracy of applying for the money they're owed.

I think there may always be a 'core' of sites - because the owners of those sites started up the consortium which became the Camping Cheques organisation - but as ACSI becomes more popular then I'm sure other sites will be looking at the options.

It will be interesting to see just how many extra sites there are in the ACSI scheme for 2012.

Val

From what I have heard the economics for Camping Cheques don't add up for many sites compared to accepting the ACSI Card. Camping Cheques seem to have a larger fee to be in the directory and also take around 20% of the face value of each cheque. They also only settle up with campsites twice a year. My understanding is that with ACSI once you have paid the fee for inclusion in the directory you keep any money taken over the counter as you say. Whether we buy anymore Camping Cheques for 2012 (still have a few left on our Silver Card) will very much depend if there are any must use sites in the directory. Otherwise I can see us concentrating on ACSI sites in future.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

I think we will keep our options open by using both CC and ACSI next year. I have just sent off for the ACSI books and card for next year. It has cost me £13 after getting a discount of £1 by having their newsletter. There will be two books next year so hopefully I will be able to cut down on the weight by only taking the one that covers the country that we are visiting. I thought about the CD but they are on the web anyway. I find books more convenient for travelling as I can look up where we are going while OH is driving.

David, I agree! We started using ACSI about three years ago, and last year noticed the real improvement in the number and quality of the sites on offer. In 2010 and 2011 we used our ACSI card a lot, and our Camping Cheques less. We still have some on our Gold Card - but as you say will look carefully at the sites on offer in the new directory before we order any more.

I thought about the CD but they are on the web anyway. I find books more convenient for travelling as I can look up where we are going while OH is driving.

Pauline

I find the DVD handy for planning trips so I have a copy on my PC here at home and also on the laptop when we are away. The DVD also has all ACSI inspected sites as well as those that accept the card.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels